Dundee United 2018/2019

17 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Every news report I've seen/heard seems to be about Martin denying the possibility of merger/groundshare.

Are we really in a situation where we  believe there is an American conspiracy to only have one team in Dundee?

There is only one team in Dundee; I’m surprised you don’t know that.

1 minute ago, Eddie the Eagle said:

Think any slim chance we had of getting Ralston back on loan in January have evaporated tonight. Playing against Motherwell, by all accounts having a stormer and scored a goal!!

With our new billionaire owner, I think we have set our targets a bit higher.

Dani Alves is due in St Andrews tomorrow

Hopefully this guy delivers really solid investment in Dundee Untied and Scottish football, if not the whole thing can go wrong very quickly indeed, it seems strange to me that a US national who resides in the US has bought a team in Scotland when "soccer" is one of the fastest growing entertainment sectors in America. Hopefully that fans will be able to get a seat on the board (if they don't already) to ensure this isn't handled like Gretna, Hearts, Dunfermline, Rangers, Livingston, Dundee or Sevco. I would still be worried about the merger taking place with Americans in both clubs it probably wouldn't be hard to pull off at a board level and then I guess the fans would have to put up with Dundee City.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

With our new billionaire owner, I think we have set our targets a bit higher.

Dani Alves is due in St Andrews tomorrow

He’s getting past it; Sergio Roberto is far more flexible and has 10 years ahead of him.

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There is only one team in Dundee; I’m surprised you don’t know that.

15 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I feel there is better times to make that statement like when you're above them

Shame on you Gaz.  The poor man just forgot to add the words ‘in the Scottish Premership’ to be 100% correct. 

Cut him some slack :thumsup2

What’s his form been like with the other clubs he owns? If he buys, gets bored quickly then asset strips, we have a problem. If he takes a long view, invests appropriately and supports the manager then we may have reasonable grounds for optimism.

I also don’t buy the whole merger scheme. Depending on how much it costs to run Tannadice vs rent on a new ground that may be tempting, but that’s only if we don’t get promoted.

6 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

https://www.twincities.com/2018/12/19/new-owner-of-scottish-football-team-is-from-stillwater/

Good article from the states, gives a few more details. Though “the Dundee United football club” is slightly questionable, I’ll let it slide.

He said he also was drawn to Dundee because of the team’s Irish roots. “I’m three-fourths Irish, and Dundee has some Irish roots,” he said. “Way back when, it was started by some Irish immigrants.”

Is it just me, or is our new Chairman referring to us as Dundee?

He said he also was drawn to Dundee because of the team’s Irish roots. “I’m three-fourths Irish, and Dundee has some Irish roots,” he said. “Way back when, it was started by some Irish immigrants.”

Given the rest of the article I’m more inclined to blame the journalist rather than the chairman.

3 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Looks like he’s referring to the city rather than the club.  

I don’t really want anyone raising the ‘Irish roots’ issue, particularly the new owner.  Hopefully someone will explain that this can be an emotive issue and potentially divisive issue for those who choose to make it so.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Looks like he’s referring to the city rather than the club.  

I don’t really want anyone raising the ‘Irish roots’ issue, particularly the new owner.  Hopefully someone will explain that this can be an emotive issue and potentially divisive issue for those who choose to make it so.

It reads to me that he is referring to the team/club/company having "Irish roots".

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

It reads to me that he is referring to the team/club/company having "Irish roots".

I meant the use of ‘Dundee’ referring to the city rather than the club.  He is certainly referring in part to the club’s Irish roots but also to the Irish involvement in the city itself.

All a matter of interpretation I suppose.