Dundee United 2018/2019

I'm not disagreeing with the majority here, simply pointing out that the legal position might be different from the perception of some posters.

If he is convicted, or loses his job over this act, I'll stand corrected, but I doubt either will, or can, happen.

Gross misconduct can cover a multitude of sins.

On 09/12/2018 at 20:54, captainkev said:

I would have said Gunning, although it's immaterial now; as you've said, it's clearly Robson.

Should United do the right thing and punt him asap, anyone keen on taking Dixon back? He's been training with the team lately but, according to Neilson, he wasn't being considered as a potential signing due to us having two left backs already. However, that could change very soon.

Dixon been training with Falkirk and played left centre back in a bounce game v St Mirren.

17 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm not disagreeing with the majority here, simply pointing out that the legal position might be different from the perception of some posters.

If he is convicted, or loses his job over this act, I'll stand corrected, but I doubt either will, or can, happen.

He won't be convicted because he hasn't committed a criminal offence (this time). He's clearly an absolute penis but if I was advising the club I'd be cautious about sacking him on the basis of a hallow e'en costume. I suspect we'll see it dealt with internally, suitable statements to the press and then released in January.

19 hours ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

Sufficient evidence or not , the clown has got to go, he's an embarrassing wee laddie , what's he gonna do next, how many chances does he get ? Bury him wi the reserves until he fucks off or someone takes a chance and signs him.

That's not going to happen, the other clubs have black balled him.

Too soon?  :(

Just had a look at the Robson story on the Courier online.  Only four comments, all absolutely appalling including:

and the PC snowflakes are out in force, it's a fancy dress, a fancy dress that has been going on for centuries. You complaining lot need to go out & get a life, My Nigerian friend thinks it was hilarious and was NOT offended 1 bit. 

:(

Robson has been daft, probably should have faced harsher penalties after Venomgate, but I suspect he was seen as a saleable asset then.

I'm not too sure this is a sacking offence. Would it even be legal to consider this under employment legislation?

Try doing that on your next works night out. Guarantee you won’t have a job to go back to on Monday morning.

Just had a look at the Robson story on the Courier online.  Only four comments, all absolutely appalling including:
and the PC snowflakes are out in force, it's a fancy dress, a fancy dress that has been going on for centuries. You complaining lot need to go out & get a life, My Nigerian friend thinks it was hilarious and was NOT offended 1 bit. 
[emoji20]

I’m going to be controversial here, and keep with me as I realise we might be in “through the looking glass” territory here, but I don’t reckon this Nigerian friend exists.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’m going to be controversial here, and keep with me as I realise we might be in “through the looking glass” territory here, but I don’t reckon this Nigerian friend exists.

What do you think is more likely, he doesn’t have a Nigerian friend or he doesn’t have any friends?

19 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Try doing that on your next works night out. Guarantee you won’t have a job to go back to on Monday morning.

Robson wasn't on a works night out though, was he?  I trust you've supposed that?

My hypothesis, he thought he was being clever at a party a few weeks ago or longer, and a friend of sorts thought it would be a hoot to release a photograph online.

Finally, you've also made the assumptions that someone pays me to work for them, and that that imaginary Monday-Friday employer holds fancy dress events for the staff of a weekend. I wouldn't attend.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

He won't be convicted because he hasn't committed a criminal offence (this time). He's clearly an absolute penis but if I was advising the club I'd be cautious about sacking him on the basis of a hallow e'en costume. I suspect we'll see it dealt with internally, suitable statements to the press and then released in January.

I'm not understanding this fully, do you feel the statements will be released in January, or Robson? For if it's the latter, he won't walk away without a large pay off, given Csaba rewarded him with an extended contract.

Robson wasn't on a works night out though, was he?  I trust you've supposed that?

My hypothesis, he thought he was being clever at a party a few weeks ago or longer, and a friend of sorts thought it would be a hoot to release a photograph online.

Finally, you've also made the assumptions that someone pays me to work for them, and that that imaginary Monday-Friday employer holds fancy dress events for the staff of a weekend. I wouldn't attend.

That’s fair enough! That’s a perfectly reasonable stance. I disagree, however.

Let’s use conditionals then. Actually the works night out is possibly the least important factor in all of this. If you were employed in a high profile capacity, by a high profile organisation, and if you were to host a fairly insufferable fancy dress party at which you were to dress up as, say, the boy from the Um Bungo adverts, and if a delectable young woman was to take a photo of you in said costume and plaster it all over social media, do you think you’d still be employed?

Good luck with the job search/good luck avoiding the plebs while you drink pink champagne with one’s supper.

EDIT: I’m also assuming you’re a white male.

17 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That’s fair enough! That’s a perfectly reasonable stance. I disagree, however.

Let’s use conditionals then. Actually the works night out is possibly the least important factor in all of this. If you were employed in a high profile capacity, by a high profile organisation, and if you were to host a fairly insufferable fancy dress party at which you were to dress up as, say, the boy from the Um Bungo adverts, and if a delectable young woman was to take a photo of you in said costume and plaster it all over social media, do you think you’d still be employed?

Good luck with the job search/good luck avoiding the plebs while you drink pink champagne with one’s supper.

EDIT: I’m also assuming you’re a white male.

Whether I'm white or male is immaterial where guiding opinion. In law it’s (supposed to be) inconsequential.

Can I answer with a photograph, posted by the fancy dresser himself?

96i1jn.jpg

Yet 2018 World Cup and UEFA Cup winner Griezmann, employed in a high profile capacity, by a high profile organisation, receiving millions of euros in sponsorship deals from Puma and Huawei as a global brand ambassador, was unaffected in his finances and sporting progress after he published this photograph less than a year ago.

Don’t think he’ll be job searching any time soon.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian
Photo!

37 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm not understanding this fully, do you feel the statements will be released in January, or Robson? For if it's the latter, he won't walk away without a large pay off, given Csaba rewarded him with an extended contract.

It's sequential: carpeting, followed by statements, followed by him leaving in January. I expect he'll be allowed to leave and the pay-off will obviously depend on whether he can get a gig elsewhere.

21 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Whether I'm white or male is immaterial where guiding opinion. In law it’s (supposed to be) inconsequential.

96i1jn.jpg

Yet 2018 World Cup and UEFA Cup winner Griezmann, employed in a high profile capacity, by a high profile organisation, receiving millions of euros in sponsorship deals from Puma and Huawei as a global brand ambassador, was unaffected in his finances and sporting progress after he published this photograph less than a year ago.

Apparently black face is a sign of endearment in Spain, tbf.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

:(

Facebook is a pretty depressing read as well. The "it's just a joke" argument is particularly undermined by the fact that in recent weeks there's been a flurry of racist incidents in Scottish and English football. For all the work done in the last couple of decades, racism never went away; it's just that people are feeling emboldened to express these sorts of views again. Robson's behaviour is just an example of it.

If that Courier commentator's Nigerian friend does actually exist, he's probably unsurprised by this behaviour of a Dundee United player given what our team's name means in that country.

25 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

96i1jn.jpg

Griezmann's behaviour isn't really any better, although it doesn't have the same- likely unintentional given it's Robson after all - sneering mockery that's implicit in Robson's costume, which clearly belittles the figure he's dressing as and reinforces stereotypes. Look at how Robson's bulging his eyes in his photo not unlike the way minstrels typically do.

The more famous you are the more likely you are to avoid real punishment for this sort of behaviour; I don't think that's a particularly controversial statement.

However, that doesn't make it alright. 

He may be young but this is the second serious incident with Robson in the space of a year, he's blown his chance. The fact he isn't playing and has been poor for over a year shouldn't come into it. We were endlessly tolerant to Goodwillie because he was an asset but he never ever learned.

Edited by captainkev

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Apparently black face is a sign of endearment in Spain, tbf.

Re Greizmann, he's earned millions via playing for France, and his main sponsors are a German multinational sportswear firm and a global telecommunications and electronics company from China. This continues after his incident, which he himself released on social media.

Robson, in the public eye, was very wrong in his choice of outfit, but I think his guilt is being blown way out of proportion.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Re Greizmann, he's earned millions via playing for France, and his main sponsors are a German multinational sportswear firm and a global telecommunications and electronics company from China. This continues after his incident, which he himself released on social media.

Robson, in the public eye, was very wrong in his choice of outfit, but I think his guilt is being blown way out of proportion.

I think that the problem here is that this is not Robson's first f**k up. 

Taken in isolation,  this incident is bad enough but could be put down to his being a daft wee laddie who didn't know any better.

Add  last Christmas' clusterfuck to this, the fact that he could be so fucking stupid yet again is unbelievable.

What is pissing alot of people off (imo) is his social media antics and the negative light this casts on the club,  never mind the piss poor example both incidents set for younger people who might look up to him as a professional footballer.

Does he deserve to be prosecuted? Of course not. But I dont think he deserves to play for Dundee United anymore either.

Edited by MacArab