Dundee United 2018/2019

I wrote something about fan investment and/or fan ownership (partly or fully) if anyone fancies giving it a read ---> LINK

The view I have in general is that a foundation similar to the FoH is something very appealing to me. I generally don't know where I stand on fan ownership but definitely a supporter of fan involvement at some level, possibly similar to the German model (although that is now being challenged more and more often).

I had a quick read. Why is it you feel we can’t do similar to Hearts?I’m sure we could get up to 8,000 people paying in if it was marketed properly and we really pushed it.

Hearts of course have a bigger support but are they that much bigger really? Seems you underestimate our size of support and stature a bit in this article.

12 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

I had a quick read. Why is it you feel we can’t do similar to Hearts?I’m sure we could get up to 8,000 people paying in if it was marketed properly and we really pushed it.

Hearts of course have a bigger support but are they that much bigger really? Seems you underestimate our size of support and stature a bit in this article.

I would be amazed if we could get 8000 members. That is about half their home support so I took that figure and lessened it slightly. They also have the backing of very wealthy individuals and I am simply trying to reign in expectations if we were doing the same thing. 

stewartyftd1, Hearts have a much bigger support and catchment area than United. Easily so, over the years. At times they've had the biggest average crowds in the country.

We are not in the same category in terms of potential contributors.

stumigoo, looked at your blog, and it appears realistic to at least quarter our potential members for a similar structure to FoH. However, did members not get restless with Robbie Neilson and want him out before he jumped to MK Dons? And again, their pressure was partly responsible for getting Cathro removed.

My concern about fan involvement is the leadership getting either too influential, or split into cliques thus disuniting the club (once again).

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

I wrote something about fan investment and/or fan ownership (partly or fully) if anyone fancies giving it a read ---> LINK

The view I have in general is that a foundation similar to the FoH is something very appealing to me. I generally don't know where I stand on fan ownership but definitely a supporter of fan involvement at some level, possibly similar to the German model (although that is now being challenged more and more often).

Good read.

Do you have a high res version of that top photo of the Shed? Crackin pic.

13 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

stewartyftd1, Hearts have a much bigger support and catchment area than United. Easily so, over the years. At times they've had the biggest average crowds in the country.

We are not in the same category in terms of potential contributors.

stumigoo, looked at your blog, and it appears realistic to at least quarter our potential members for a similar structure to FoH. However, did members not get restless with Robbie Neilson and want him out before he jumped to MK Dons? And again, their pressure was partly responsible for getting Cathro removed.

My concern about fan involvement is the leadership getting either too influential, or split into cliques thus disuniting the club (once again).

Absolutely my worry would be rash decisions made on fan pressure but the flip side to that would that at least fans would be part of the process and it leaves the board having to be transparent and committed to decision making. I am very much in favour of it being used as a revue stream that could then be put to good use and it helping the club. The bigger decisions for me must remain with Chief Executives etc.

16 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

So you think we couldn’t get say 5-6000?

If it really takes off then I still think we wouldn't push past 4000 or so. Hearts are in a different position because of what happened to them. If something similar happened to us then maybe we would push past the 4000 mark but I don't think we would under 'normal' circumstances. 

Not a chance we would get 5-6,000 fans to unite under one banner organisation, far less pay £10+ a month into one.

Look at how many fan groups we have presently, and how much some ridicule others. 

The Dundee United Supporters Foundation has struggled to get beyond a couple of hundred members, at a point where we are stuck in the Championship with board members past and present who aren't trusted by large sections of the support. It's hardly as though the support has been galvanised to join DUSF in these times of difficulty.

On another forum it was said that when Laszlo was sacked Neilson himself contacted the club to apply for the job.

Thank f**k he did ! Cheers for that btw.

On the other topic we’ve had the arabtrust for years as the quasi official fan group with real involvement in the club. Think there would need to be an amalgamation of all the different groups to increase confidence in a fan investment scheme.

Im not a fan of fan ownership - not for Utd anyway. I dont think the numbers or finances are there but for fans to invest in the club via one single fan group would be a good idea imo.  

The 2000 member figure that Stu uses is probably about right - not all season ticket holders would buy in but some fans who dont buy a season ticket and cant get to games may feel that is a way to help the club.

My first question is would these fans in this supporters group be treated as shareholders with a say on club actions or are they treated as cash injections only?

My second question would be if the fan group had a say in club actions, would season ticket holders have a say also? They would potentially be investing more than someone putting, for example, £10 a month in.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

39 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The statements that Arab Trust release on a semi-regular basis show that any fan investment should not have a say in running the club.

Sitting in the stand around fellow fans backs up this point.

Yeah football fans, including Arabs, are a bunch of negative b*****ds.

stu referred to the German model; I’m fairly convinced the average United fan, if they could shrug off their negativity, could be as productive as any German counterpart.

10 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

The statements that Arab Trust release on a semi-regular basis show that any fan investment should not have a say in running the club.

Sitting in the stand around fellow fans backs up this point.

Im surprised this thread isn't cited as further evidence.

As a lifelong fan, with a five figure income  and a Harris Academy education I should be natural target for fan investment but I already object to the meagre amounts I put in allowing educationally sub-normal yobs to live a champagne lifestyle.

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Im surprised this thread isn't cited as further evidence.

As a lifelong fan, with a five figure income  and a Harris Academy education I should be natural target for fan investment but I already object to the meagre amounts I put in allowing educationally sub-normal yobs to live a champagne lifestyle.

Check Bill Gates over here. Why dont you just buy the club?!

:P