Dundee United 2018/2019

43 minutes ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

But then Bell was outstanding for us in some games, all without the aid of a strong defence toward the end, Remember the three penalty saves at Dunfermline emoji968.pngemoji968.pngemoji968.pngemoji106.png. A keeper who dominated his area, maybe that's what I'm looking for.

Everyone says this as some sort of acid test for a good goalkeeper but the reality is very few goalkeepers - even world class goalkeepers - "dominate their area". Buffon didnt and even for the size of him De Gea doesn't.

At united catching the ball, an ability to get body behind the ball and kicking effectively would be good enough for me.

I think all 3 keepers are fine for what we require.

Yesterday was the first time in ages I’ve seen United and felt we were going to win the match comfortably from beginning to end, whether that is more a sign of us getting markedly better or Dunfermline being terrible, I’m not too sure, probably a combo of both.

Seigrist looks fine to me, I reckon now he has a few games under his belt and two half decent defenders in front of him he will get better as well, he came for a few balls yesterday and took them well, I don’t really know what he’s done to draw ire.

I might start a crowdfunding to get Safranko here permanently, of what I’ve seen so far I think he’s probably the best player we’ve had in the championship.

Also McMullan shouldn’t be taking penalties, but he also shouldn’t be scoring headers so I’ll let him off.

8 hours ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

Last World Cup winner between the sticks at Tannadice was Peter Bonetti.

It was Victor Valdes but TBF he was yet to win his world cup at that point. Perhaps he copied Michael McGoverns moves at the other end and was able to propel himself onto greatness *

* winning a world cup sitting on his arse.

16 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

Yesterday was the first time in ages I’ve seen United and felt we were going to win the match comfortably from beginning to end, whether that is more a sign of us getting markedly better or Dunfermline being terrible, I’m not too sure, probably a combo of both.

Seigrist looks fine to me, I reckon now he has a few games under his belt and two half decent defenders in front of him he will get better as well, he came for a few balls yesterday and took them well, I don’t really know what he’s done to draw ire.

I might start a crowdfunding to get Safranko here permanently, of what I’ve seen so far I think he’s probably the best player we’ve had in the championship.

Also McMullan shouldn’t be taking penalties, but he also shouldn’t be scoring headers so I’ll let him off.

McMullan will get a pass because we won 2-0 but players cannot dictate who will take penalties.

I thought during the game that the Dunfermline no 3 (Longridge) had a good game and watching the extended highlights last night confirmed this.  Not sure if he played a part in one of the goals but his general play was good and he looked composed on the ball.

The decision not to bin Laszlo at the end of last season is really going to come back and bite us in the arse. In 48 hours we are likely to be 8 points off the pace and I can't see County dropping that many points.

Night and day under Neilson but Mike Martin has left us a fucking mountain to climb. :angry:

Edited by Ralphies_Chip

1 hour ago, Ralphies_Chip said:

The decision not to bin Laszlo at the end of last season is really going to come back and bite us in the arse. In 48 hours we are likely to be 8 points off the pace and I can't see County dropping that many points.

Night and day under Neilson but Mike Martin has left us a fucking mountain to climb. :angry:

I understand and share your frustration with the idiotic choice made by MM however its football, there are tons of games left and we're looking like we're going to hit some form with the new manager. 

Ross County look good now and are on form but that will change.  They will get injuries. They will have off days. But we are coming out of a really sticky patch and we're still not too far behind and our best players are getting fit.

We also have to play them another 3 times and will be a far better team than last time.

Its nowhere near a foregone conclusion. If it was 8 points this time in February then maybe id say different.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I understand and share your frustration with the idiotic choice made by MM however its football, there are tons of games left and we're looking like we're going to hit some form with the new manager. 

Ross County look good now and are on form but that will change.  They will get injuries. They will have off days. But we are coming out of a really sticky patch and we're still not too far behind and our best players are getting fit.

We also have to play them another 3 times and will be a far better team than last time.

Its nowhere near a foregone conclusion. If it was 8 points this time in February then maybe id say different.

The problem as I see it is that we also will suffer from injuries, suspensions and a drop in form at some point.  Yes, it is too early to write off the title but I agree with RC, it will be tough.

That said this is the first time in three seasons that I have seen a team that I think is capable of getting to the playoff final and winning it; previously I would have said winning the league was the ONLY route to promotion.

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The problem as I see it is that we also will suffer from injuries, suspensions and a drop in form at some point.  Yes, it is too early to write off the title but I agree with RC, it will be tough.

That said this is the first time in three seasons that I have seen a team that I think is capable of getting to the playoff final and winning it; previously I would have said winning the league was the ONLY route to promotion.

Of course we will have the same issues as County. The point I was making is, to my knowledge, they have had more or less their strongest squad and are firing on all cylinders.

We havent been and are still not far off considering theres 5 points in it with about 25 games and a transfer window left.

I also dont think it will be easy, far from it but underthe new manager i think we have the best chance in 3 years to win the league or go up via playoffs.

I dont really care how we go up - as long as we do.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Of course we will have the same issues as County. The point I was making is, to my knowledge, they have had more or less their strongest squad and are firing on all cylinders.

We haven't, we've had serious issues with injuries all season, particularly in defence where we currently have 3 of our back 4 (including our Captain) all out injured.  Again.
Fontaine and Morris are out injured for at least the second time each this season, and Fraser has been out for weeks (months?) now.  The details are a blur to be honest.

Thankfully Watson has now recovered from injury and is filling in well, having missed a few weeks earlier in the season when it was his turn to be injured.
But we've still had to play Ross Draper (a centre mid) and youth players in defence a number of times now, with Stelios  (a LB) filling in at right back. 
Even Tony Dingwall has played in defence this season, filling in at rightback in at least 3 games from memory.

Midfield and up fronts been ok.  Just the odd player with niggles or suspensions so far, other than Gardyne who has been out for a couple of weeks now, expected to be out for about a month. 

Testament to the good job that Ketts and Fergie are doing that we still look generally solid even with the injuries. 
Had some wobbles, main ones being when we lost to Morton, and the second-half against Ayr where they battered our defence of a teenager and three full-backs (two of which were reserves), we did not impress against Caley or QOS either to be honest.
Generally though, after a slow start, the difference between now and the shapeless clueless farce under Coyle and (at times) under McIntyre is stark.  

ETA: bit of a brain-dump, not meant to sound defensive, just trying to advise of the season so far and big-up the job Ferglewell are doing.   Interested to see how yous develop under Neilson.

Edited by dingdong1929