Dundee United 2018/2019

31 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

He was outstanding yesterday. For someone not very tall he wins an incredible amount of headers but he also has great awareness for those around him. Some of his hold up play yesterday was really fantastic. Compare him to Curran who come on, ran about and slipped over three or four times it is night and day. Early in the season but the decision to give Curran a 3-year deal is baffling.

Curran’s first contribution was to get booked. It was the highlight of his performance.

32 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Curran is shite.

35 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I can't fault Curran's ability to run about a lot, but that seems to be all he does. 

36 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Curran’s first contribution was to get booked. It was the highlight of his performance.

The very same could have been said about Jon Daly at any point in his first 3 seasons.  If Curran becomes even half the player that Daly became then I'll be delighted (and shocked).

18 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

First win under the new manager, albeit against a team who has also been struggling.

It may be too early to write us off for the title but I think we have a hell of an amount of catching up to do and will be very dependent upon Ayr, County and ICT hitting poor spells.

I wonder what leaway Neilson will be given in the Christmas transfer window.

Settle.

We are on the same points as ICT and only 3 behind County.

I'm not counting Ayr as their arse will eventually collapse and they won't be in the running. This is the exact attitude I too to Livingstone last season too right enough.

Settle.
I'm not counting Ayr as their arse will eventually collapse and they won't be in the running. This is the exact attitude I too to Livingstone last season too right enough.
There's plenty time to claw back the points gap. Whether or not United are good enough is another matter altogether. This may bite me in the arse, but I am more optimistic than I have been in some time.

20 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
29 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:
Settle.

There's plenty time to claw back the points gap. Whether or not United are good enough is another matter altogether. This may bite me in the arse, but I am more optimistic than I have been in some time.

I'm certainly rising with Robbie Neilson.

FB_IMG_1539519107115.thumb.jpg.648894263a117cce6d0bf309f4cb3c0f.jpg

I believe we have the best squad but it's all about consistency.

23 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

The "their arse will collapse" patter is always funny. Keep on counting on that though. I'm sure you'll feel better.

To be fair in the same post IA also said that this was the view he had on Livi last year (and he wasn't alone in that). Nobody is relying on Ayr or anyone collapsing but this season more than a few previous is shaping up to be one where no team will be safe from a poor run of form. 

Positive start for Safranko, who looks like he'll be rattling them in this season. We'll need to start working on some decent chants.
(cue 6-month goal drought)

There was a bit of ‘pa-vol saf-ranko’ towards the end yesterday, I’d prefer ‘duh duh duh duh, pav sa-franko’ myself.

To compare Curran to Daly is a bit odd. Totally different type of player and Daly, while not amazing at the start, was a very useful player once he got up to speed. And also, in his first 3 years Daly had two bad injuries. Was it not his cruciate he did then his ankle?

Curran dosent really do anything. While hes more hard working, he reminds me of thon Taggart that came up with Sideshow Bob under Mcnafortune a few years ago. Incredibly poor. 

Also, imo we have a very decent squad for this level but i dont know if its the best in the league. I think in Fyvie, Safranko, Stanton, Bouhenna and Clark we have a very strong spine but we are still awful in the full back and goalkeeping department.

King and McMullan may improve now we've got a sensible guy in charge so heres hoping. But thats an area that may need looked at in January too.

Eta forgot about Aird, who i think has been a good addition so far!

If Robbie brings in a decent keeper and two steady full backs then id say we'd be looking good enough for the league. 

Its still early days.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

To be fair in the same post IA also said that this was the view he had on Livi last year (and he wasn't alone in that). Nobody is relying on Ayr or anyone collapsing but this season more than a few previous is shaping up to be one where no team will be safe from a poor run of form. 

I think Ayr are more prone to an occaisional skelping than an arse collapse due to the way they're playing. I don't give them a chance in a playoff.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

To compare Curran to Daly is a bit odd. Totally different type of player and Daly, while not amazing at the start, was a very useful player once he got up to speed. And also, in his first 3 years Daly had two bad injuries. Was it not his cruciate he did then his ankle?

Curran dosent really do anything. While hes more hard working, he reminds me of thon Taggart that came up with Sideshow Bob under Mcnafortune a few years ago. Incredibly poor. 

Also, imo we have a very decent squad for this level but i dont know if its the best in the league. I think in Fyvie, Safranko, Stanton, Bouhenna and Clark we have a very strong spine but we are still awful in the full back and goalkeeping department.

King and McMullan may improve now we've got a sensible guy in charge so heres hoping. But thats an area that may need looked at in January too.

Eta forgot about Aird, who i think has been a good addition so far!

If Robbie brings in a decent keeper and two steady full backs then id say we'd be looking good enough for the league. 

Its still early days.

On a more general point, I think all professional footballers will offer more if they’re played in their favoured position in a formation that suits individual and collective strengths under a manager who is tactically acute.

I think Aird has a lot to offer and players like Curran, King and McMullan may surprise us yet.

Getting the most out of Loemba may be more tricky.

On a more general point, I think all professional footballers will offer more if they’re played in their favoured position in a formation that suits individual and collective strengths under a manager who is tactically acute.
I think Aird has a lot to offer and players like Curran, King and McMullan may surprise us yet.

Spot on, all good points Granny. And the way to get the best out, is a competent coach. Let's hope we've got the right man this time.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

It was telling that Loemba was left on the bench given we were up against it towards the end. Skinny Arab made the point yesterday that he is still someone who would be useful in games when we can dominate the ball (but those fixtures are few and far between). 

A good manager can get the best out of players and I think with good man-management and a bit of tactical support then guys like King, Aird, McMullan and a few others will grow in confidence. I still have major doubts that Rabitsch, Robson, Barton, Edge and maybe Matty Smith can be coached to play at the level required this season but Im happy to be proven wrong. 

It was telling that Loemba was left on the bench given we were up against it towards the end. Skinny Arab made the point yesterday that he is still someone who would be useful in games when we can dominate the ball (but those fixtures are few and far between). 
A good manager can get the best out of players and I think with good man-management and a bit of tactical support then guys like King, Aird, McMullan and a few others will grow in confidence. I still have major doubts that Rabitsch, Robson, Barton, Edge and maybe Matty Smith can be coached to play at the level required this season but Im happy to be proven wrong. 

Living in Glasgow I actually saw a lot of Barton the season thistle finished in the top 6 and most of the time he looked extremely handy at premiership level.
Still think he could grow into a useful squad player in front of a settled back 4, but he looks a shell of a guy at the moment, clearly lacking confidence.