Dundee United 2018/2019

Massive week ahead, hoping for an appointment this week and all things considered would like it to be Neilson given his record in this league.
Don’t know if the game next week can be called ‘must win’ just yet, but falling at least 10 points behind 2 teams would make things look pretty dismal.
Whatever happens, Clark should start next week and Stanton must start ahead of rabbitsch.
We need to get in thistles faces as they’re potentially one of the few teams in Scotland who are even greater shitebags than us, hopefully whoever is in charge next week smacks them about the head a bit and gets them going.

4 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Yesterday's result didn't do Ellis's chances much good which may lean towards bringing in a new man. One thing that is a must is that the new man is allowed to bring in his own assistant even if that means getting rid of Ellis who is held in high regard by certain people. 

Ellis has been working for two rubbish regimes now. He cant be without blame to be honest.

Either hes been rubbered by two managers and is as quiet as a mouse, hes not actually all hes cracked up to be or the players are so awful no one can help.

None of these would surprise me tbh.

40 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Ellis has been working for two rubbish regimes now. He cant be without blame to be honest.

Either hes been rubbered by two managers and is as quiet as a mouse, hes not actually all hes cracked up to be or the players are so awful no one can help.

None of these would surprise me tbh.

I’m not going to dismiss Ellis on the basis of one game away to a team who have had a flying start and who are top of the league.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not going to dismiss Ellis on the basis of one game away to a team who have had a flying start and who are top of the league.

Im not saying he should be dismissed due to his individual failings. Just that hes been part of the failed management system for longer than anyone else at the club now. 

I like the fact that Neilson wants Daly as his number 2. Fresh ideas and fresh start. Ellis may be a good guy etc but maybe we need a clean cut this time. Sure, we may lose a good assistant manager but wed gain a good management team.

I understand that one of the positives with Laszlo (over others like John Hughes) was that he would keep Ellis on (and, as such, we wouldn't have to pay to end his contract).  Sadly for United, this was an unfortunate and short-sighted view to have taken and it backfired.  Sadly for Ellis (and United's finances), we must now learn the lesson and move him on when a new manager is incoming.

I have almost no faith in the board/chairman to make a good appointment (or make any good decisions - what they have overseen in the past 3 or 4 years is nothing short of shambolic); as discussed elsewhere in this thread, there have been so, so many chances for us to make the right appointment in the time that I have followed United (since the 90's) and overall we have failed spectacularly.  I really hope it works out better than I fear as we cannot afford to: (i) stay in the Championships for years; or (ii) keep paying off entire management teams...

7 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Im not saying he should be dismissed due to his individual failings. Just that hes been part of the failed management system for longer than anyone else at the club now. 

I like the fact that Neilson wants Daly as his number 2. Fresh ideas and fresh start. Ellis may be a good guy etc but maybe we need a clean cut this time. Sure, we may lose a good assistant manager but wed gain a good management team.

It was said earlier that a new manager must have the back room team he wants, particularly his assistant; I don’t think any right minded person would disagree.

8 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

I just can’t see it, Unless we are chucking money at him I can’t really see what we offer over and above st Mirren at the moment

Have you missed St Mirren appointing a manager about a month ago?

1 hour ago, Principal Flutie said:

He turned down the job at St. Mirren before that happened.

2 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

I was referring to his refusal of the St Mirren job when he was offered it, which you must have missed.

He turned it down before Stubbs was appointed in the Summer.

He turned it down before Stubbs was appointed in the Summer.

I know, the point I was making was that that looked a more promising gig than the United one at the moment so would be surprised if he took us on having turned down st Mirren previously.
I also think he could probably get his hands on a premiership job if he waited another month or so