Dundee United 2018/2019

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

The 3 points from the top may well be misleading to those who have watched each of United's games this season, but I meant potential applicants for the manager's role, should Laszlo be sacked.   It will not be misleading to them.  Suitors will be put off by the fact that we are quickly becoming a "hire and fire club" and the fact that we sack managers who are only 3 points off the top of the league in September - what were we expecting with a completely new squad?

I don't disagree that the tactics are poor and that we should be doing better; I'm just not convinced that we have the Chairman in place to improve the situation... in my two decades watching United, we have almost always brought in terrible managers at significant cost. 

I agree with the first part.  We should not have started the season with Laszlo as manager.

I deliberately went a couple of weeks without criticing him as it was getting boring, but Saturday was a fucking fiasco.  Morton were awful and there for the taking.

FWIW I don’t think Laszlo is going anywhere in the near future; Martin will wait until it’s too late to do anything.

9 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Levein's comments were not on behalf of Hearts, United put their contribution out in an official capacity. There's the difference.

If United thought they should make a response, they could have used a friendly hack to state 'A Dundee United source said'. 

It's a distraction from the Csaba shambles.

When the manager of Hearts is talking about a Hearts player, it's a bit of a stretch to suggest he is not speaking on behalf of Hearts.

If he wasn't, Hearts should be warning him about his public comments. 

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

When the manager of Hearts is talking about a Hearts player, it's a bit of a stretch to suggest he is not speaking on behalf of Hearts.

If he wasn't, Hearts should be warning him about his public comments. 

Maybe true, but an argument being made presently comparing Gerrard and Clarke criticising officials is that Gerrard didn't issue his comments in an official statement, while Clarke did. 

Just mentioning this as a comparison, as I think both Levein and United have reacted in unnecessary manner.

FWIW I don’t think Laszlo is going anywhere in the near future; Martin will wait until it’s too late to do anything.

A catastrophic defeat away to Falkirk would hasten his exit, but overall I recon it’ll be late October at the very earliest before Martin would push the button. He would be able to save face then , saving he earned to give him a chance with his new squad etc etc.

Maybe true, but an argument being made presently comparing Gerrard and Clarke criticising officials is that Gerrard didn't issue his comments in an official statement, while Clarke did. 

Just mentioning this as a comparison, as I think both Levein and United have reacted in unnecessary manner.

I’m going off-topic but are you actually saying that Gerrards comments to the media after a game are not him representing his club (or company) and are just personal opinions? Despite the fact he is doing them “at work”?

13 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I’m going off-topic but are you actually saying that Gerrards comments to the media after a game are not him representing his club (or company) and are just personal opinions? Despite the fact he is doing them “at work”?

No.

10 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

but an argument being made presently.....

I was and am saying that the football authorities, media and supporters may differentiate between the manner and circumstances of the two approaches taken in the Gerrard/Clarke comparison.  From my point of view, the two cases are very different  because Gerrard was attempting to put pressure on the authorities and referees to gain future advantages, while Clarke was reflecting on a decision taken in a prior match which he saw as being very wrong.

Regarding Levein and United, in both cases they emerge with no credit.

1 hour ago, Reverend Maynard said:

A catastrophic defeat away to Falkirk would hasten his exit, but overall I recon it’ll be late October at the very earliest before Martin would push the button. He would be able to save face then , saving he earned to give him a chance with his new squad etc etc.

If that happens it will be the third time we’ve sacked a manager who should have been sacked at the end of the previous season.  We will then be scrabbling to bring in someone mid season when we are behind and who has to work with previous manager’s squad.  It is absolute lunacy.

We joke about administration but I can see us being skint or close to it by the end of this season and haemorrhaging more supporters if we don’t go up this time around.  The mismanagement since our relegation has eclipsed the shambles that got us relegated in the first place.

I have mentioned this before but the Robertson money then the Armstrong money gave us a financial lifeline over the last two seasons.  Unless Souttar goes for big money soon, and we have a decent sell on clause, we could be seriously screwed.

2 hours ago, Reverend Maynard said:

Calm down Rev, I don't think you need to worry about that. Have some faith. Just like St Columba drove the snakes out of Ireland, the might csambles will drive Ray the Snake away from 3 points. 

9 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

If that happens it will be the third time we’ve sacked a manager who should have been sacked at the end of the previous season.  We will then be scrabbling to bring in someone mid season when we are behind and who has to work with previous manager’s squad.  It is absolute lunacy.

We joke about administration but I can see us being skint or close to it by the end of this season and haemorrhaging more supporters if we don’t go up this time around.  The mismanagement since our relegation has eclipsed the shambles that got us relegated in the first place.

I have mentioned this before but the Robertson money then the Armstrong money gave us a financial lifeline over the last two seasons.  Unless Souttar goes for big money soon, and we have a decent sell on clause, we could be seriously screwed.

I wonder whether MM is deliberately trying to keep us down this season so that he can put us into admin, reclaim Tannadice and Gussie Park and build houses on them.

Rumour ends...

37 minutes ago, The DA said:

I wonder whether MM is deliberately trying to keep us down this season so that he can put us into admin, reclaim Tannadice and Gussie Park and build houses on them.

Rumour ends...

Mike Martin has been watching the same games we have since the start of this season.  I find it hard to believe that he is sitting there thinking “Csaba is doing a good job here”.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Mike Martin has been watching the same games we have since the start of this season.  I find it hard to believe that he is sitting there thinking “Csaba is doing a good job here”.

Well, Csaba can't be the only one thinking it, so there is a slim chance...

2 hours ago, The DA said:

Rumour ends...

You jest, but there are folk on here who will take that seriously.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Grit your teeth, Granny, here it comes: if we're judging Laszlo on this season only then he doesn't deserve the bullet. Yet. Performances and results have been mostly poor but, against that, it's an entirely new team (11 new players starting last week), we're fairly solid and seem to have recruited well (even Barton might come good if someone starts lacing his herbal tea with PCP/testosterone). It's normal at the start of a new regime for there to be teething problems and you would still expect the team to be gelling at this stage. It might come good.

Obviously, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. I'd still punt the big balloon because of the bollocks last year but there is a version of reality wherein it could be reasonably argued by a reasonable man that Laszlo should be given more time. That' all Martin's doing. In a way, he should be applauded for his patience - I'd just prefer it wasn't Laszlo who was the beneficiary.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Grit your teeth, Granny, here it comes: if we're judging Laszlo on this season only then he doesn't deserve the bullet. Yet. Performances and results have been mostly poor but, against that, it's an entirely new team (11 new players starting last week), we're fairly solid and seem to have recruited well (even Barton might come good if someone starts lacing his herbal tea with PCP/testosterone). It's normal at the start of a new regime for there to be teething problems and you would still expect the team to be gelling at this stage. It might come good.

Obviously, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. I'd still punt the big balloon because of the bollocks last year but there is a version of reality wherein it could be reasonably argued by a reasonable man that Laszlo should be given more time. That' all Martin's doing. In a way, he should be applauded for his patience - I'd just prefer it wasn't Laszlo who was the beneficiary.

That's basically my view of the situation. Results wise it's not been absolutely terrible. If he can't beat Falkirk though he should be sacked. 

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

We will have to agree to disagree, not for the first time.

On this season alone the performances have been sub-standard against mainly poor teams.  Even ignoring the League Cup performances, despite it being a major competition, the performances in the league have been woeful.

The only league game I have missed was QotS, so I cannot comment but otherwise we have been very poor against weak competition.  His claim after the game on Saturday that his formation worked was beyond laughable; it shows how clueless he is.   If we have a manager who is self-deluded about the effectiveness of formations and tactics I cannot see how things can possibly improve.

We had players quite capable of beating Morton on Saturday but the formation and tactics left us scrambling for a last minute equaliser.

People may be misled by the fact that we are only three points from the top spot, but we are sitting in fifth place (in a league of ten) and have yet to play County and Inverness the league's two best teams IMO.

It is all irrelevent anyway; Laszlo is going nowhere, even if we get beat on Saturday.  Doesn't make it any easier to accept.