Dundee United 2018/2019

2 hours ago, MacArab said:

Hi Bobby. Nice to see you as always. 

You know what they say..... Better being pish than pointless.....

Do you mean bobby is pointless or the team he supports is poin.....

Never mind, works both ways.

In the event that we do get rid of Laszlo, does anyone genuinely believe that the Chairman has the skill (or contacts) to appoint a better manager?

We have an absolutely woeful track record of hiring, firing and hiring (a quick Wikipedia search tells me that we are on our 15th full-time manager since Jim McLean left in May 1993 - with only 3 making it past 100 games (Levein, Houston and McNamara)) and my concern is that changing manager again might just be more of the same (or even worse)... and any new manager will inherit a squad that Laszlo basically put together in the past couple of months. 

By keeping Laszlo beyond the end of last season and giving him the power to rebuild the squad has really wedged us between a rock and a hard place.

In the event that we do get rid of Laszlo, does anyone genuinely believe that the Chairman has the skill (or contacts) to appoint a better manager?
We have an absolutely woeful track record of hiring, firing and hiring (a quick Wikipedia search tells me that we are on our 15th full-time manager since Jim McLean left in May 1993 - with only 3 making it past 100 games (Levein, Houston and McNamara)) and my concern is that changing manager again might just be more of the same (or even worse)... and any new manager will inherit a squad that Laszlo basically put together in the past couple of months. 
By keeping Laszlo beyond the end of last season and giving him the power to rebuild the squad has really wedged us between a rock and a hard place.

I don't think the squad is a problem, this team is more than capable of winning the league, but unfortunately a fish rots from the head down.

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

So lets just leave an utterly useless clown in charge then?

Laszlo is by far the worst of the lot. Worse than Brewster and Chisholm.

And the main reason Mcnafortune made it past 100 was because Thompson wasnt giving a f**k. So that should probably be 2 managers!

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

If only this predicament could have been predicted and avoided four months ago.

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I don't understand why we just don't punt it forward straight away. I thought Curran and Safranko won more in the air than they lost. Dicking around from one defender to another before eventually hoofing is doing nothing but wasting time. 

On Saturday we wouldn’t have been any worse off adopting that tactic, but as a general strategy I am against hoof ball:

1. Most teams can organise against it with relative ease.

2.  An alternative of someone like McMullan running at defenders is far more dangerous; yes the defender may stop him but there’s always the potential of McMullan going past his man or winning a foul in a dangerous area.

3.  We have enough ability in that squad that we should not need to revert to hoof ball.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

On Saturday we wouldn’t have been any worse off adopting that tactic, but as a general strategy I am against hoof ball:

1. Most teams can organise against it with relative ease.

2.  An alternative of someone like McMullan running at defenders is far more dangerous; yes the defender may stop him but there’s always the potential of McMullan going past his man or winning a foul in a dangerous area.

3.  We have enough ability in that squad that we should not need to revert to hoof ball.

Agreed.

That being said, I too was surprised by how much we won in the air in midfield, and there was the glorious moment in the second half, when Franco ghosted in out of nowhere to win a header he should never have won, robbing the defender and nodding it on to LLoemba, putting him in on goal.....

The fact that’s LLoemba fucked it up (again) does not detract from the fact that it was a great piece of play and showed a bit if passion and fight on Franko’s part.

I think our forwards need to be more ready for the flick on than they generally are, as it can really create chances when the striker is switched on.

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

So lets just leave an utterly useless clown in charge then?

Laszlo is by far the worst of the lot. Worse than Brewster and Chisholm.

And the main reason Mcnafortune made it past 100 was because Thompson wasnt giving a f**k. So that should probably be 2 managers!

Worse than Brewster, indeed. Behave yourself. You might to reacquaint yourself with Brewster's record.

I'd also want to consider the relative merits of Smith, Hegarty, Chisholm and Mixu if we're looking at 'worst managers' post McLean (I've no idea whether there are any stand-out duds before then). McNamara would probably get a pass for as shite as he was towards the end he did also oversee some of the best football we've seen for decades and made a fortune in transfer fees prior to that. When he left there was still plenty of time to rescue the situation. 

2 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Worse than Brewster, indeed. Behave yourself. You might to reacquaint yourself with Brewster's record.

I'd also want to consider the relative merits of Smith, Hegarty, Chisholm and Mixu if we're looking at 'worst managers' post McLean (I've no idea whether there are any stand-out duds before then). McNamara would probably get a pass for as shite as he was towards the end he did also oversee some of the best football we've seen for decades and made a fortune in transfer fees prior to that. When he left there was still plenty of time to rescue the situation. 

Miles and miles and miles worse than Brewster!!!!! 

Brewsters record was indeed horrendous but it was horrendous in the top flight against some decent sides. Brewster also signed a few cracking players (Kalvenes, Conway, Hunt).

Csaba Laszlo is the worst manager we have EVER had. I can't believe it's even a debate. Moon howling c**t!

1 minute ago, Ralphies_Chip said:

Miles and miles and miles worse than Brewster!!!!! 

Brewsters record was indeed horrendous but it was horrendous in the top flight against some decent sides. Brewster also signed a few cracking players (Kalvenes, Conway, Hunt).

Csaba Laszlo is the worst manager we have EVER had. I can't believe it's even a debate. Moon howling c**t!

Here's another one. Everything today is worse then everything that has ever been before. It must be: look at all the exclamation marks and the capitals. Moon-howling cunt.

2 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Here's another one. Everything today is worse then everything that has ever been before. It must be: look at all the exclamation marks and the capitals. Moon-howling cunt.

Everything today is worse than it has ever been you fucking moron!

How bad does it need to get? relegation to league one, administration, liquidation? 

Wake the f**k up! 

3 minutes ago, Ralphies_Chip said:

Everything today is worse than it has ever been you fucking moron!

How bad does it need to get? relegation to league one, administration, liquidation? 

Wake the f**k up! 

:lol:

Oooft. Such an angry man. Maybe time to take a step back and re-evaluate your priorities if watching football elicits this sort of reaction.

2 hours ago, MacArab said:

Agreed.

That being said, I too was surprised by how much we won in the air in midfield, and there was the glorious moment in the second half, when Franco ghosted in out of nowhere to win a header he should never have won, robbing the defender and nodding it on to LLoemba, putting him in on goal.....

The fact that’s LLoemba fucked it up (again) does not detract from the fact that it was a great piece of play and showed a bit if passion and fight on Franko’s part.

I think our forwards need to be more ready for the flick on than they generally are, as it can really create chances when the striker is switched on.

One of the (many) frustrating things due to formation and tactics is players with ability not getting a chance to perform.  I reckon Safranko could do a real job for us in a genuine two and if he was getting some  decent service.  Aird was totally wasted on Saturday due to a stupid formation yet he’s another guy who can contribute.

The whole debate about whether Laszlo is worse than others is moot.  The issue is he is the manager at present and is not nearly good enough.  I am genuinely baffled that Mike Martin does not see this.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

I doubt there's too many on here who can remember before Jerry Kerr, who is generally acknowledged as laying the foundations for McLean to build on, so the answer to that is probably "no".