Dundee United 2018/2019

1 hour ago, Big Shedboy said:

How do we know that Bouhenna is not complete and utter shyte?

We don't.  We give him a chance and hope he isn't. 

The summer signings have been a mixed bag with, I believe, more good than bad.

17 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Fully fit this is how I would like things to be...

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 19.37.51.png

That would still leave Barton and Rabistch as cover in the middle with McMullan, King and Curran as cover further forward. Wardrop and Robson as backups for the flanks but we would still be a little light in the middle of the defence (Edge and Murdoch).

So you would start with 6 defensive players and very little width?

Aird's never a right back!!

Where are the goals coming from?

Individually that may well be our strongest 11 but to shoehorn them into that formation would be madness. The football on display is already brutal, it would be worse with this side/formation.

3 hours ago, Ralphies_Chip said:

So you would start with 6 defensive players and very little width?

Aird's never a right back!!

Where are the goals coming from?

Individually that may well be our strongest 11 but to shoehorn them into that formation would be madness. The football on display is already brutal, it would be worse with this side/formation.

In my opinion there are not six defensive players there. After the 3 central defenders the wings-backs can do both, we have Stanton who is box-to-box, Loemba who is a very attacking player and two strikers. I'd like to think the main goal threat would be that front three and with all of our central defenders being very tall then set-pieces would play a big role in that. The only player that might be out of position slightly would be Aird but it is hardly 'shoehorning' him into a role if he has played there at numerous different stages in his career (feel free to Google 'Fraser Aird wing-back' or 'right-back'). 

Finally the best football we have played this year was for a very good 45 minute spell against Queen of the South in Dumfries. We played a 5-3-2.

I'm quite comfortable with Aird being a RWB. 

He's definitely more of an attacking player but that's the trade off having him play there. 

Definitely out best line up what's been posted. 

Having those players means it's easy to change formation during the game if required as well and Shambles has alluded to training for that and with a couple of different systems. 

In my opinion there are not six defensive players there. After the 3 central defenders the wings-backs can do both, we have Stanton who is box-to-box, Loemba who is a very attacking player and two strikers. I'd like to think the main goal threat would be that front three and with all of our central defenders being very tall then set-pieces would play a big role in that. The only player that might be out of position slightly would be Aird but it is hardly 'shoehorning' him into a role if he has played there at numerous different stages in his career (feel free to Google 'Fraser Aird wing-back' or 'right-back'). 
Finally the best football we have played this year was for a very good 45 minute spell against Queen of the South in Dumfries. We played a 5-3-2.

That's fine and it works if a team stands off and let's us play, but any team pressing when not in possession and we just crumble.

3 minutes ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

That's fine and it works if a team stands off and let's us play, but any team pressing when not in possession and we just crumble.

You’re absolutely right, that happened in the relegation season and the two seasons since.

I don’t reckon it’s down to formation however, more mental attitude.  If anything that formation could help if teams try to put us under pressure, particularly with Stanton and Fyvie who have the capacity to start attacks when the under pressure.

28 minutes ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

I agree with GD, the problem, I think, is the personnel rather than system. We've used different systems but we have the same mental weakness regardless. 

9 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

If we are going to set up with 3 at the back would it not be worth giving Barton a shot as sweeper? Think that's the position he was playing when he won poty for thistle and the only position thistle fans have said he isn't shite in.

Aye, assuming the Tunisian is any good / exists, would rather see Frans - Barton - Bou.

Once Fyvie is back, Stanton can't be a starter. He's not going to be a guy who makes the difference in a promotion push.

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

If we are going to set up with 3 at the back would it not be worth giving Barton a shot as sweeper? Think that's the position he was playing when he won poty for thistle and the only position thistle fans have said he isn't shite in.

Pretty sure Toshney won POTY at Raith playing centre back.

Just saying....

5 hours ago, banana said:

Aye, assuming the Tunisian is any good / exists, would rather see Frans - Barton - Bou.

Once Fyvie is back, Stanton can't be a starter. He's not going to be a guy who makes the difference in a promotion push.

wtf_is_that_martin_freeman.gif.e9a7deab3dffceb970cd095f7c79c1ad.gif

And also, Barton is fucking dog shite. Watson starts for me.

3 hours ago, banana said:

Stanton is standard Championship fare with mediocre game impact, honestly surprised at how much of a pass he gets from the United support.

Stanton, imo, plays best for us when hes getting the ball in space and running with it. 

Hes been regularly shunted wide and he was being played as one of two sitting midfielders. Neither position suit him. 

Him next to Fyvie in a 442 would see him play like he can a bit more.

To say he has a mediocre impact when we have players like Barton, Murdoch, King, McMullan and Robson is a bit much.

9 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Stanton, imo, plays best for us when hes getting the ball in space and running with it. 

Hes been regularly shunted wide and he was being played as one of two sitting midfielders. Neither position suit him. 

Him next to Fyvie in a 442 would see him play like he can a bit more.

To say he has a mediocre impact when we have players like Barton, Murdoch, King, McMullan and Robson is a bit much.

Banana is giving freak nut job, he talks shite about everything.

I only see his posts when others quote him and that’s too often.