Dundee United 2018/2019

10 minutes ago, Ralphies_Chip said:

It wasn't our reserves though was it...

7 of the starting 11 are first team squad players.

Happy with a draw at home to part time Alloa who also made a host of changes. What a fucking time to be alive.

FTR i'm not disappointed to be out of that tournament but it's a bit disingenuous to say it was a reserve team we had out.  

Difference between squad players and first team first choice.

Edge only starts because there’s no option; Smith, Siegrist, Wardrop and Glass unlikely starters; McMullan may start and Booth, when fit, may become a starter.

I don’t have a problem with the tournament so long as we take this approach.  The first time around when we took it seriously was an embarrassment.

I enjoyed the game on Saturday much more than the one away from home the week previous. The results were the same but the youngsters/fringe players ability to be a bit more unpredictable (partly because of their naiveness with the youngsters) meant that the game was much more open and entertaining. Don't get me wrong, the whole club is still in a shite state of affairs but if the first team played with a bit more freedom then at least the whole thing would be a bit more entertaining. As it is the football from Laszlo is incredibly pedestrian and predictable which means we are not only fucked but we are boring at the same time.

3 hours ago, Ralphies_Chip said:

It wasn't our reserves though was it...

7 of the starting 11 are first team squad players.

Happy with a draw at home to part time Alloa who also made a host of changes. What a fucking time to be alive.

FTR i'm not disappointed to be out of that tournament but it's a bit disingenuous to say it was a reserve team we had out.  

It was the reserves. It wasn't exclusively a youth team but that's entirely distinct from a reserve team, which is the guys who, for whatever reason, aren't playing in the first team. There were 11  changes from the team who played the previous week. Of those who started on Saturday only Booth, when fully fit, would likely be a first choice player. It was the very definition of a reserve team.

It was a youth team with our first team bench mixed in. 

Or

It was our first team bench bulked out with youths.

Either way it matters not a jot as we still got beat by Alloa and Laszlo is still our manager. Which is a bit shite.

Backwards and downwards - Its the United way!

This was my second ever visit to Tannadice, the first was when i was gifted a ticket for DUFC v Barcelona 1- 0  i think it was , Kevin Gallagher the scorer ?

What a team you had then, ! i can imagine your frustrations , we have been punching above our weight for years now and it has been good to be an Alloa fan recently

i hope you guys get back to where you should be .

This was my second ever visit to Tannadice, the first was when i was gifted a ticket for DUFC v Barcelona 1- 0  i think it was , Kevin Gallagher the scorer ?
What a team you had then, ! i can imagine your frustrations , we have been punching above our weight for years now and it has been good to be an Alloa fan recently
Yep. Gallagher with a mishit cross (although he later claimed he meant it). 2-1 at the Camp Nou in the away leg.

2 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:
3 hours ago, whereismillar said:
This was my second ever visit to Tannadice, the first was when i was gifted a ticket for DUFC v Barcelona 1- 0  i think it was , Kevin Gallacher the scorer ?

Yep. Gallacher with a mishit cross (although he later claimed he meant it). 2-1 at the Camp Nou in the away leg.

FTFY

4 hours ago, whereismillar said:

That’s a very nice and very kind post.  

As things stand we are exactly where we should be.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Anyone know if Stanton will be back soon.  Looking forward to seeing him and Fyvie back together.

Initially Laszlo said five or six weeks I think. Doubt he will make the Morton or Falkirk games but maybe the Ross County one at home.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

Initially Laszlo said five or six weeks I think. Doubt he will make the Morton or Falkirk games but maybe the Ross County one at home.

Hopefully Barton will be dropped in favour of Fyvie and we will need to persevere with Rabitsch until Stanton returns.

Fully fit this is how I would like things to be...

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 19.37.51.png

That would still leave Barton and Rabistch as cover in the middle with McMullan, King and Curran as cover further forward. Wardrop and Robson as backups for the flanks but we would still be a little light in the middle of the defence (Edge and Murdoch).

Edited by stumigoo

5b995d2e6f571_ScreenShot2018-09-12at19_37_51.png.21420dea0a084fe418a5f0a8be9fc360.png

That would still leave Barton and Rabistch as cover in the middle with McMullan, King and Curran as cover further forward. Wardrop and Robson as backups for the flanks but we would still be a little light in the middle of the defence (Edge and Murdoch).

Yep, that’s our strongest line-up i think, with potential to play 4-4-2 by taking off a central defender and bringing on Wardrop, shifting Loemba out to the left wing. As well as the cover you mention, hopefully players like glass, smith, zata and chalmers can make a decent impact as well. A team capable of winning the league...under the right tutelage...[emoji20]

7 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 19.37.51.png

Pretty much what i think.

The only change id make, if anything, is (as Im still not 100% sold on Loemba and i also think Stanton does best going forward)  id have Stanton in behing the strikers and Rabitch beside Fyvie. But in fairness, Loemba hasn't been fully fit so he deserves more game time. 

Other than that, if that team you suggest isnt deployed or does not perform well then its purely down to the manager being a duffer imo. Because that should be good enough to win the league under a decent manager.