Dundee United 2018/2019

Not exactly broken, but varied.  Yes, as long as it's reasonable it's OK - why wouldn't it be OK to vary a contract if the variance is reasonable? It would be a shite state of affairs if we couldn't vary contracts just because they exist. 
I didn't say an employee can't contest new terms, nor did I say they would be dismissed for being "unreasonable' if they did so.  The contract really protects both the parties but probably the employee needs protected more than the employer for numerous reasons.
The point is very simple - the contract sets out the relationship and is biding at the time is is agreed to.  However, reasonable changes can be made later - as I said before, why would anyone reject a reasonable change? That would make them unreasonable and  how can a business succeed with unreasonable employees/employers and why should the law protect unreasonable employees/employers.  The key word is reasonable - that is not up to the employee or employer to decide - the courts will if a dispute arises.
Not enough use of the words unreasonable/reasonable imo.

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Not enough use of the words unreasonable/reasonable imo.

Thank you.

Be reasonable - when you're using the terms reasonable and unreasonable it's hard to avoid using reasonable and unreasonable.  i'd say it's reasonable enough and you're comment, whilst appreciated, is unreasonable.

Thank you! 

47 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Not exactly broken, but varied.  Yes, as long as it's reasonable it's OK - why wouldn't it be OK to vary a contract if the variance is reasonable? It would be a shite state of affairs if we couldn't vary contracts just because they exist. 

I didn't say an employee can't contest new terms, nor did I say they would be dismissed for being "unreasonable' if they did so.  The contract really protects both the parties but probably the employee needs protected more than the employer for numerous reasons.

The point is very simple - the contract sets out the relationship and is biding at the time is is agreed to.  However, reasonable changes can be made later - as I said before, why would anyone reject a reasonable change? That would make them unreasonable and  how can a business succeed with unreasonable employees/employers and why should the law protect unreasonable employees/employers.  The key word is reasonable - that is not up to the employee or employer to decide - the courts will if a dispute arises.

I get your overall point. Im not trying to be unreasonable, but who decides if the proposed change is reasonable or unreasonable?

What i think may be unreasonable someone else may find reasonable.

Its all about opinions. The 25 mile rule imo is unreasonable to existing employees but United seem to think its reasonable. Some players have agreed to it and some havent as they have mortgages and families and i can understand that.

Its unreasonable for United to ask them to relocatefor a reasonably short period of time. 

Id be telling the HR jobber to gtf personally.

Just now, mishtergrolsch said:

I get your overall point. Im not trying to be unreasonable, but who decides if the proposed change is reasonable or unreasonable?

What i think may be unreasonable someone else may find reasonable.

Its all about opinions. The 25 mile rule imo is unreasonable to existing employees but United seem to think its reasonable. Some players have agreed to it and some havent as they have mortgages and families and i can understand that.

Its unreasonable for United to ask them to relocatefor a reasonably short period of time. 

Id be telling the HR jobber to gtf personally.

I was that HR jobber!!!!

The court (Employment Tribunal) decide what's reasonable   - as you say, your reasonable won't be mine.  Honestly speaking, I've always found that employers are more reasonable than employees due to the simple fact they can be taken to tribunal whilst they cannot take employees to tribunal.  No matter what people might think, tribunals tend to err on the employee's side IMO.  I would say that though, wouldn't i?

I agree that the 25-mile rule seems to be unreasonable but it would depend on individual player's circumstances - the court would look at each employee's situation individually rather than take a general approach.  It's hard to imagine a court finding in Utd's favour on this one.

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I was that HR jobber!!!!

The court (Employment Tribunal) decide what's reasonable   - as you say, your reasonable won't be mine.  Honestly speaking, I've always found that employers are more reasonable than employees due to the simple fact they can be taken to tribunal whilst they cannot take employees to tribunal.  No matter what people might think, tribunals tend to err on the employee's side IMO.  I would say that though, wouldn't i?

I agree that the 25-mile rule seems to be unreasonable but it would depend on individual player's circumstances - the court would look at each employee's situation individually rather than take a general approach.  It's hard to imagine a court finding in Utd's favour on this one.

In that case, gtf personally :lol:

10 minutes ago, banana said:

How many centre halfs (halves?) do we need?

Perhaps this would pave the way for launching a selection of Scobbie, Toshney, The Edge and Watson into orbit.

Scobbie and Edge are on the way out; Toshney's dead. That leaves Frans, Barton and Watson. 

39 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Scobbie and Edge are on the way out; Toshney's dead. That leaves Frans, Barton and Watson. 

Plus Murdoch and Allerdice. Granted neither is a natural CH, but Csabba Things.

RIP Toshers BTW.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

If we'd had a game, and Csaba had made yet another arse of things, the penny might just have dropped with Martin, and a new manager could have had an opportunity to introduce changes prior to the end of August.

Wishful thinking.

I thought since we won the last game it meant the Chairman was giving Csaba  till 2027 to turn it round.

Hopefully the takeover will have happened by then.