Dundee United 2018/2019

I don't know what Keatings is like off the park (or on it really) but if he isn't buying into the new rules (whether we agree with them or not) then he should leave.

I thought he was very brave to speak out about his mental health struggles earlier in the year and a move to a club closer to home may suit him more. One in four people will experience a mental health issue every year yet worryingly some people seem to think footballers, celebrities, rich people, etc, are immune to things like that. Keatings being open goes a little way to debunking that myth. 

Preferably he moves to a different league so he doesn't come back to haunt us. You just know what will happen if he stays in the Championship.

Frans seems to be loving Dundee btw and who would disagree with him? :wub: 

Screenshot_20180721-153810.thumb.jpg.8e9e21b15ab2aea4e51e522e2e0fd491.jpg

Screenshot_20180721-153855.thumb.jpg.a66bcb604e7ee008e92e8361bb845f30.jpg

Players should be chomping at the bit to move here.

45 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Keatings has been shite and just seems to be a winging little fanny now. Get rid! He obviously doesn’t want to move away from the Glasgow area and would rather play for Hamilton.

He has been away from the Glasgow area since 2014, though.

Just found this article: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dundee-united-star-james-keatings-12404502

Depression is a terrible disease. Hopefully he will manage to get back on track soon.

I understand he may have suffered or still suffer from depression but all this Twitter nonsense is an embarrassment to him and the club. He’s more interested in that than putting in a good performance for us. I say we get rid and invest in a solid defender. Team will then be looking strong.

Just found this article: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dundee-united-star-james-keatings-12404502

Depression is a terrible disease. Hopefully he will manage to get back on track soon.

Sorry where does that say he’s away from the Glasgow area? I live in Glasgow and I’ve seen him around a couple of times.

I’m pretty certain the 20 mile rule is at the core of the problem with him and McMullen

2 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I don't know what Keatings is like off the park (or on it really) but if he isn't buying into the new rules (whether we agree with them or not) then he should leave.

That’s a ridiculous statement and not thought out.  Not sure what you do for a living but I bet you wouldn’t be happy taking a job only for your employer to tag on new conditions afterwards.

Making it a condition for new players and contract renewals is fine; players can take a considered decision based on the money on offer, length of contract, etc.  

I wont comment on his depression as mental health issues are serious and something I fortunately have no experience of.

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s a ridiculous statement and not thought out.  Not sure what you do for a living but I bet you wouldn’t be happy taking a job only for your employer to tag on new conditions afterwards.

Making it a condition for new players and contract renewals is fine; players can take a considered decision based on the money on offer, length of contract, etc.  

I wont comment on his depression as mental health issues are serious and something I fortunately have no experience of.

Have to agree with Granny here. Moving forward the rule is fine but you can't retrospectively tack it on to players currently under contract. 

Is it not also effectively a breach of contract doing so (paging PMS)? 

6 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Sadly these vile Glasgow based clubs attract the dregs from all over Scotland.

Have you always been a United fan then?

I have been a Utd fan for over 35 years now, ever since I moved to the area.  I stayed abroad from a young age due to my dad being in the forces but settled in Coupar Angus and never moved again when I was 20. Liked the way Utd played back then so decided they were the team for me. Get to about 10 home games and maybe 10 away in a season when work permits me too.

39 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Calm yourself.

I was speaking from what I would imagine is Keatings point of view. If he doesn't want to live within 25 miles of Dundee then surely he will be thinking about leaving for another club that doesn't have these rules in place as he will have to leave next summer anyway (unless he relocates then).

The rumours certainly seem to suggest it is the case that he wants to leave. They could well be nonsense though. 

He's well within his rights to run down his contract however. Like you say, these conditions weren't in place when he signed. If I couldn't get an equal or better deal elsewhere that is what I would do.

If he is still suffering depression then I hope he finds a club in the area where he lives as he will need his family and close friends around him as much as possible.

In an ideal world I'd rather he stayed as I think he could be a good player for us but life isn't that straightforward and his health is far more important than what any football fan thinks.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

Just now, Im_Rodger said:

Would happily take Keatings back.

Bit of creativity that we don't have much of up front apart from Mickel Miller.

Would also fully endorse the club to help him out with his mental health as much as they possibly can if he came.

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Have to agree with Granny here. Moving forward the rule is fine but you can't retrospectively tack it on to players currently under contract. 

Is it not also effectively a breach of contract doing so (paging PMS)? 

Aye, you're quite right. At the same time, I don't think there's any suggestion that United are seeking to enforce a new rule on Keatings (although who knows what's gone on behind the scenes). In any event, clearly relationships have broken down, Laszlo doesn't trust him, Keatings isn't happy. It's surely in everyone's best interests for him to find another club. I'm sure he will. He's still got a decent reputation elsewhere.

Im pretty sure you cant change details of a contract of employment unless both parties agree to it and a new contract is signed. And unions can get involved etc. In this case Keatings wouldnt have to worry about the 25 mile rule as the law would be in his favour i imagine.

New players would have this in a contract of employment and would have to agree to the 25 mile rule as part of the contract when signing - or sign for someone else.

Also, someone a post or two ago referred to depression as a disease

7 hours ago, Cruoninga said:

Its not a disease. Its a mental health illness.  Its not something you can catch or pass on from someone or something. Its basically something that happens to the way your brain works. Its symptoms can be helped but not cured by medication i believe. Not having a go, just being pedantic :)

ETA this is the way its been explained to me by a close friend who has struggled with depression for the last few years. 

And Keatings can leave as far as im concerned. Just dont think hes all that. Hes never impressed me in the very few games hes featured in. May work out somewhere else but its not going to happen at United for alot of reasons.

Ship out.

And McMullan and Scobbie are guff so they can bolt with him.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

I understand he may have suffered or still suffer from depression but all this Twitter nonsense is an embarrassment to him and the club. He’s more interested in that than putting in a good performance for us. I say we get rid and invest in a solid defender. Team will then be looking strong.

A solid defender? That sort of talk just won’t be accepted. We’re in the banter years mate, and we don’t do solid defending.

13 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Im pretty sure you cant change details of a contract of employment unless both parties agree to it and a new contract is signed. And unions can get involved etc. In this case Keatings wouldnt have to worry about the 25 mile rule as the law would be in his favour i imagine.

I'm not sure it's that black and white.  Imagine in a company where you had all but one employee agree to a change?  Nothing would ever change.  I think any change would have to be negotiated but if negotiations failed a change could be imposed.  A tribunal would then look at the reasonableness of the change and make a decision.  The 25-mile rule would be a sticky one as it could involve a relocation depending on where an employee lived. 

11 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm not sure it's that black and white.  Imagine in a company where you had all but one employee agree to a change?  Nothing would ever change.  I think any change would have to be negotiated but if negotiations failed a change could be imposed.  A tribunal would then look at the reasonableness of the change and make a decision.  The 25-mile rule would be a sticky one as it could involve a relocation depending on where an employee lived. 

So if you have a legally agreed contract and a new boss wants to change it without your consent he can push through said change?

For less that 12 months? 

Whats the point in a contract in that case?

I can understand them having it in new contracts but an existing agreement wont easily change. Dont think the club would want the players union involved and the publicity circus etc which would no doubt happen.

On 14/08/2018 at 18:06, mishtergrolsch said:

Wouldn't that give the employee grounds for a constructive dismissal claim if the employer insisted on imposing this?