Dundee United 2018/2019

31 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

That is a terrifying thing to think about. Genuinely baffling.

Maybe because there are no 'football people' on the board and Laszlo talks a good game it was a case of "do what you need to do". Certainly the contract structure, radius rule and training regime have all been put in place or co-ordinated by Laszlo.

Edited by stumigoo

6 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

You see, that's what I find odd. This all makes sense. It's very hard to reconcile all of this with the drooling idiot we are subjected to in every post match interview.

That's what I thought at the time. He seemed like a totally different person but maybe he was just playing the audience and talking the talk. 

3 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

That's what I thought at the time. He seemed like a totally different person but maybe he was just playing the audience and talking the talk. 

Maybe he’s schizophrenic!  

If so we should get rid of both of him.

1 hour ago, Buccanarab said:

Even if there was a Clough or McLean kicking about there's absolutely no chance they'd be successful. It's immediate success or gtf as far as most fans are concerned so they'd both be out the door after their first season. 

Unfortunately the position we are in doesn't allow for time. In an ideal world the board would bin Laszlo, bring someone competent in and publicly back them to do a job over a sustained period of time without fear of the club being plunged into serious financial meltdown. If that mythical situation did occur and the board were open and honest then the fans would at least back a "project" led by someone who can do that properly. Unfortunately we need someone who can quickly deliver promotion otherwise we are potentially fucked (who that might be I have no idea). 

10 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Maybe because there are no 'football people' on the board and Laszlo talks a good game it was a case of "do what you need to do". Certainly the contract structure, radius rule and training regime have all been put in place or co-ordinated by Laszlo.

Id agree thats probably why. But most of these people are business people who, i assume, wouldnt hand out massive responsibilities to a manager who is unknown to them in their specific industry. Especially if it was a struggling business whos customers are on the disgruntled side when it comes to said manager. 

They should, imo, have said "Right Shabz, last season was pish mate. Gee yersel a shake, soart that fuckin team oot then yill get some mare responsibilities and powers, ya big useless p***k."

ETA they should have really said "Get tae f**k ye slabbering erse"

Edited by mishtergrolsch

23 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Possibly. I have met many people in my day job who interviewed well but couldn't do the actual job very well.

54 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Agreed. The same director then said something about Laszlo explaining the odds of breaking away and scoring from a corner are less likely than conceding from the set-piece (or something along those lines)

That's frighteningly simplistic. As it stands, the opposition gets a second, maybe third bite to deliver after a clearance, and we end up penned in rather than giving the opposition something to worry about. The point of having a man or two up hasn't much to do with a breakaway goal, it's interfering with the potential 2nd bite and us regaining possession up the pitch.

Edited by banana

3 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Agreed. The same director then said something about Laszlo explaining the odds of breaking away and scoring from a corner are less likely than conceding from the set-piece (or something along those lines)

Of course they are.

We have Robson and the Edge defending the set-piece, and the opposition don't have them defending the breakaway.

Laszlo did say on Saturday at the meeting we are negotiating with a “Slovakian striker who plays for Aalborg. He has a great header” so that would be him. We were moved from the boardroom to another room because they were speaking to someone that day so it might be this guy.

20 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

3 hours training for

Pass the ball along the back line.
Pass to CM.
He gives it back.
Pass to full back.
Hoof it up front.

The classic sign of a team who have been told to play a possession style of football, but just aren't good enough and don't have it in them.

I always worry when a manager comes in with his own 'philosophy', particularly some slow, possession based crap. The job of a manager is to play to your strengths and the opponents weaknesses, coming and and saying that you want to play a certain way because that is the type of football you like is ridiculous. Possession based football is a dying game anyway, but even more so at this level where teams just sit back, wait for you to mess up and then break on you.