Dundee United 2018/2019

It's the same as last few seasons scrambling about trying to assemble a squad when the season has already started.

A lot of absolute shite spouted in may about a squad identity. What is it? What I have seen so far could have been us at our worst last year.

Still, a pub will be nice and it's a real boom industry.

49 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's the same as last few seasons scrambling about trying to assemble a squad when the season has already started.

A lot of absolute shite spouted in may about a squad identity. What is it? What I have seen so far could have been us at our worst last year.

Still, a pub will be nice and it's a real boom industry.

I actually thought that in the first few weeks after the season ended we at least looked like we had a plan with recruitment. Most of our business seemed to be getting done in early June and then we had nothing for about five weeks. Now it feels like we scrambling around again and it isn't going to end well if we are looking for players who don't have clubs at this time of year or have been passed around other teams and we are signing our 6th choice target man (or in central defender in Paul Watson's case). 

16 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I actually thought that in the first few weeks after the season ended we at least looked like we had a plan with recruitment. Most of our business seemed to be getting done in early June and then we had nothing for about five weeks. Now it feels like we scrambling around again and it isn't going to end well if we are looking for players who don't have clubs at this time of year or have been passed around other teams and we are signing our 6th choice target man (or in central defender in Paul Watson's case). 

It feels to me that the plan was based around signing a core group of players half we got, half we missed out on and absolutely no plan B for those we missed out on.

Dundee United thread not forum so both kinda right we know what he means but you have him on a technicality also lol 

No both are not “kinda right”.

I’m right. Both you and the other guy are clearly thick.

I've said it before but I am really impressed with Martin and the changes he is making around the club, apart from his support of Laszlo.

Of course there is the small chance that Laszlo works out and Martin was correct all along. I will be hoping for that come kick off on Saturday.

It's worth remembering that Eddie Thompson hired a succession of terrible managers and spent ridiculous amounts on players (increasing our debt in the process) all the while doing very little to improve the overall structure of the club beyond the first team squad and manager. He has a stand named after him. 

Craig Levein changed the culture at the club more than ET ever did.

These changes Martin has made will take far longer than a few months to bear fruit.

In some ways it is admirable he has stuck by Laszlo despite everyone calling him a clown etc. If we are performing the same way as we have since January after the first quarter of this season and Csaba is still manager I will begin to think Martin is aff his heid.

We need to give MM a chance.

14 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It feels to me that the plan was based around signing a core group of players half we got, half we missed out on and absolutely no plan B for those we missed out on.

I dont think there was a plan personally. Csaba got a call from a few agents and he signed a load of random players. Now hes near the budget limit so hes shitting it and taking too long over the guff thats left.

Like the January window.

2 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I've said it before but I am really impressed with Martin and the changes he is making around the club, apart from his support of Laszlo.

Of course there is the small chance that Laszlo works out and Martin was correct all along. I will be hoping for that come kick off on Saturday.

It's worth remembering that Eddie Thompson hired a succession of terrible managers and spent ridiculous amounts on players (increasing our debt in the process) all the while doing very little to improve the overall structure of the club beyond the first team squad and manager. He has a stand named after him. 

These changes Martin has made will take far longer than a few months to bear fruit.

In some ways it is admirable he has stuck by Laszlo despite everyone calling him a clown etc. If we are performing the same way as we have since January after the first quarter of this season and Csaba is still manager I will begin to think Martin is aff his heid.

My one big question would be this -

Is Mike Martin blind and mental?

He must have watched us under Laszlo. He actually took a Mckinnon team and made it worse. He signed tons of rubbish players in january. Laszlo needed to be hoofed after the playoffs. 

I think MM will be decent long term but his massive failure so far has been his retention of Laszlo. On that front he is very similar to Thompson who gave Jackie and Ray far too much time and look where all that got us. 

We need a great start or the fans will be up in arms about Laszlo. Again.

52 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

He will only get one.  We are genuinly drinking in the last chance saloon.

It is obvious that neither Martin or the other directors have the sort of cash United need and the talk of backers from the US has, not surprisingly, turned out just to be talk.

We have had two, arguably, unexpected bonuses in the last two seasons with the sell on of Robertson and Armstrong and I cannot see that being repeated unless Gauld suddenly becomes magical.

Failure to be promoted this season will be catastrophic, and if we have to bin Lazslo part of the way through and, I would assume, Burger too, then it will just make the decision not to have binned him in the summer all the worse.

I cannot see Laszlo getting us up and cannot think of a time when I have wanted so badly to be proved  wrong.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

He will only get one.  We are genuinly drinking in the last chance saloon.

It is obvious that neither Martin or the other directors have the sort of cash United need and the talk of backers from the US has, not surprisingly, turned out just to be talk.

We have had two, arguably, unexpected bonuses in the last two seasons with the sell on of Robertson and Armstrong and I cannot see that being repeated unless Gauld suddenly becomes magical.

Failure to be promoted this season will be catastrophic, and if we have to bin Lazslo part of the way through and, I would assume, Burger too, then it will just make the decision not to have binned him in the summer all the worse.

I cannot see Laszlo getting us up and cannot think of a time when I have wanted so badly to be proved  wrong.

Shhh! Talks are "on going"! How very dare you, Granny. 

I for one am shocked and appalled at your conclusion.

3 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Shhh! Talks are "on going"! How very dare you, Granny. 

I for one am shocked and appalled at your conclusion.

You will not be the first person who I have shocked and/or appalled.

Spoiler

Neither will you be the last.

8 hours ago, banana said:

Mike Martin is an anagram of 'Mini-market', 'Team Rim Ink', and 'I ate Mr Mink'.

And for that reason, I'm out.

Kim A Minter

Here's a cat that looks like Mike Martin trying to make Stephen Thompson listen in the boardroom:

tenor.gif.0e9d1a7296e75a4a8f39053ee9de9241.gif