Dundee United 2018/2019

Dundee United were the team that got me interested in football. Had been along to a few pretty miserable Pars games as a 7 year old but getting frozen while some fat old blokes kicked a ball about didn't really grab me. Then your UEFA Cup run came along and I realised football could be exciting and full of colour. By the next season Pars were in the top league and started the season with some brilliant games and big crowds. 
We accept mediocrity too easily now. Guys like Andy Murray or Josh Taylor have shown there's nothing to stop Scots reaching world class levels. Jack Ross had shades of it last season, elevating a group of players to a level above the sum of their parts. Be great to see a club like Utd or Pars aim really high. Be bold with training and expectations of players. Instead we just accept that money buys success, instead of clubs making a plan to be the best and develop their own stars. 

I like your thinking, but since Bosman, it’s difficult to keep your young talent when the money buys success crew come knocking. No more Jim McLean signing 15 year olds on “until you retire” type deals.

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

Is one Darren O'Dea?

Waffelpish reckons 1 is a striker it may or may not be Vastic (probably play him as a sweeper ) no idea on the other chap hence I asked lol 

Mike Martin gave an ArabZone interview today. Here are the main points made by him -  

- He believes we have a stronger squad this season.
- All new signings have relocated to area and are happy to do this
- New players still to come, possibly one or two.
- Still some behind-the-scenes staffing additions to be made coaching/medical.
- Upgrades to medical structure still to be made.
- Bitterly disappointed at Betfred campaign but league title is number one priority.
- New ownership structure strengthens our short-term position.
- New structure allows them to continue to explore long term investments.
- Still progressing in investment opportunities and believe success in the future.
- No plans to change board structure in short-term (Martin/Fyffe/Dorward). He is very happy with how they work together.
- Pleased with new hospitality suite and believes very strong commercial avenues are vital. New venue to be promoted "365 days a year" for additional revenue.
- Sports Bar across the road just needing approval from council before pressing ahead. Earliest at Jan/Feb 2019.
- Determination to make Tannadice a good place to work and visit as a fan.
- Budget was made available to invest in these commercial opportunities.
- Pleased with ST sales and acknowledges fans have stuck by team through torrid times.
- Communication with fan groups is vital for club.
- SLG to be used as avenue for communication but time to be set aside for dialogue with individual groups (Fed, DUSF etc).
- Atmosphere is different, players like Frans and Fyvie have commented on the positivity in the dressing room and at the club.

Final Message - "Tannadice is a different place. We have moved on. We are quietly confident and believe we have what it takes to win the league. The fans can make a massive difference".

33 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Mike Martin gave an ArabZone interview today. Here are the main points made by him -  

- He believes we have a stronger squad this season.
- All new signings have relocated to area and are happy to do this
- New players still to come, possibly one or two.
- Still some behind-the-scenes staffing additions to be made coaching/medical.
- Upgrades to medical structure still to be made.
- Bitterly disappointed at Betfred campaign but league title is number one priority.
- New ownership structure strengthens our short-term position.
- New structure allows them to continue to explore long term investments.
- Still progressing in investment opportunities and believe success in the future.
- No plans to change board structure in short-term (Martin/Fyffe/Dorward). He is very happy with how they work together.
- Pleased with new hospitality suite and believes very strong commercial avenues are vital. New venue to be promoted "365 days a year" for additional revenue.
- Sports Bar across the road just needing approval from council before pressing ahead. Earliest at Jan/Feb 2019.
- Determination to make Tannadice a good place to work and visit as a fan.
- Budget was made available to invest in these commercial opportunities.
- Pleased with ST sales and acknowledges fans have stuck by team through torrid times.
- Communication with fan groups is vital for club.
- SLG to be used as avenue for communication but time to be set aside for dialogue with individual groups (Fed, DUSF etc).
- Atmosphere is different, players like Frans and Fyvie have commented on the positivity in the dressing room and at the club.

Final Message - "Tannadice is a different place. We have moved on. We are quietly confident and believe we have what it takes to win the league. The fans can make a massive difference".

That will mean f**k all when we finish 6th. Bitterly disappointed in the performance in the league cup but you believe we can win the league? Good ane.

I dont buy a season ticket for MM to buy a fucking sports bar when we have the worst manager ever seen at Tannadice.

It all sounds good but im fed up of forking out hundreds of pounds a season to watch complete and utter fucking shite.

Finger oot, Mike.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

That will mean f**k all when we finish 6th. Bitterly disappointed in the performance in the league cup but you believe we can win the league? Good ane.

I dont buy a season ticket for MM to buy a fucking sports bar when we have the worst manager ever seen at Tannadice.

It all sounds good but im fed up of forking out hundreds of pounds a season to watch complete and utter fucking shite.

Finger oot, Mike.

Apologies for being pedantic but I think the Sports Bar/additional hospitality across the road is very much a Jimmy Fyffe vehicle given his involvement in that industry. 

I feel a little for Martin but only in the sense that we all know ultimately he will be judged on two things - Laszlo and, in turn, if we win the league or not. The changes, the plans all sound good and if we were sitting 8th in the Premiership we would all be saying "this all sounds really positive". The reality is we are not and we are in serious danger of our club changing forever if we fail to achieve promotion again this year. I don't know enough about Martin to know what his intentions are or what his sincerity is but the "window dressing" (which much of the interview centres around) won't matter if we get off to a dreadful start and then have to go through the inevitable process of hiring yet another management team (who will inherit a squad full of players on 2-year contracts). 

20 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Apologies for being pedantic but I think the Sports Bar/additional hospitality across the road is very much a Jimmy Fyffe vehicle given his involvement in that industry. 

I feel a little for Martin but only in the sense that we all know ultimately he will be judged on two things - Laszlo and, in turn, if we win the league or not. The changes, the plans all sound good and if we were sitting 8th in the Premiership we would all be saying "this all sounds really positive". The reality is we are not and we are in serious danger of our club changing forever if we fail to achieve promotion again this year. I don't know enough about Martin to know what his intentions are or what his sincerity is but the "window dressing" (which much of the interview centres around) won't matter if we get off to a dreadful start and then have to go through the inevitable process of hiring yet another management team (who will inherit a squad full of players on 2-year contracts). 

No worries. I phrased it like that as MM has talked about it as if it were a part of Dundee United and therefore, with him being chairman, i assume it's gone accross his desk to be "OK'd".

I have to say, hes done some decent things but ive been wondering for a while if he has no intention to sack Laszlo - regardless of results - and is doing all this stuff behind the scenes partly as a "look over here at the shiny shiny" manoeuvre to buy time for all involved because he has a hard on for Shabz.

And as I said, the shiny shiny will make f**k all difference if we're sitting miles off top in six weeks time.

45 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I feel a little for Martin but only in the sense that we all know ultimately he will be judged on two things - Laszlo and, in turn, if we win the league or not. 

In fairness stu that’s exactly what he should be judged on.  Everything else is secondary.

22 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

In fairness stu that’s exactly what he should be judged on.  Everything else is secondary.

I agree, I'm just saying that the sympathy I have is that he seems to be rushing around doing lots of things behind the scenes but ultimately it means nothing if results are poor. 

40 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

No worries. I phrased it like that as MM has talked about it as if it were a part of Dundee United and therefore, with him being chairman, i assume it's gone accross his desk to be "OK'd".

I have to say, hes done some decent things but ive been wondering for a while if he has no intention to sack Laszlo - regardless of results - and is doing all this stuff behind the scenes partly as a "look over here at the shiny shiny" manoeuvre to buy time for all involved because he has a hard on for Shabz.

And as I said, the shiny shiny will make f**k all difference if we're sitting miles off top in six weeks time.

I wonder if some of it is more to help butter up any potential investors (if there are any). Anyone looking in would like to have a business that has avenues to be used for revenue so I suppose if Martin and the board are selling the club they can now show more than just what is happening on the pitch (which is ultimately the most important thing for us but for investors they might also look at infrastructure, growth potential, commercial revenue etc).