Dundee United 2018/2019

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not, but looks like you're signing a winger who most recently played in the Turkish second tier. Could be fun.

He's got a bit of GMS about him, if GMS was dragging a trampoline behind him.

If, say, the team bus was to fall off the road into a gorge, burst into flames and kill everyone, would that necessarily be a bad thing in terms of the coming season? 

Asking for a friend living on Sandeman St. 

3 minutes ago, banana said:

He's got a bit of GMS about him, if GMS was dragging a trampoline behind him.

Looks world class based on that highlight reel! But doesn't everyone?

Sign him up Slabber pronto before someone else gets him!

3 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

If, say, the team bus was to fall off the road into a gorge, burst into flames and kill everyone, would that necessarily be a bad thing in terms of the coming season? 

No. Make it happen.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Anything to add PMS?  I recall you being one of the few voices saying we should stick with a past manager when everyone else was convinced he had to go.  Can’t recall if it was McKinnon or McNamara but he went about a week later!

I suspect that I would have been one of the last to pull the trigger on most of them. In general I  tend towards giving people the benefit of the doubt. Particularly when asked to do a difficult job in a competitive environment. I don't buy most of the hyperbole spouted on here about how shit everyone is all the time. It speaks to me of someone who doesn't appreciate how difficult a job it is being a football manager or running a club.

Plenty of managers have failed temporarily and then come back stronger. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that virtually every established, successful manager has failed at some point and gone through periods where public opinion would have him sacked. You rarely see managers turning it around now because they are punted before getting a chance. To that extent, I agree with Mike Martin that constantly chopping and changing managers does very little good. That said, not every manager deserves the same amount of time and the harder you fail, the quicker you that patience will run out. I'd have sacked Laszlo before the end of last season when it became obvious that we weren't strong enough to compete for the title. At worst, it would have given the new manager the opportunity to get to know the squad before a rebuild in the summer, at best he might just have done enough to make a better of the play-offs. 

When that didn't happen and when Laszlo didn't go in the summer you have to draw breath and hope that he has the capacity to show improvement. The games so far strongly suggest that he doesn't have that capacity and I'd still punt him. 

33 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Our chairman rates him.

He has allowed him to bring in another assistant manager, backroom staff and replace a whole squad.

If it was about money, sacking him would have been far less expensive than all that.

He thinks "stability" is important however we're stabily shite at the moment.

If sticking with a manager regardless guarantees you success, we'd be as well putting a monkey in charge on a lifetime contract and paying it in peanuts.

I'm not sure that's right, tbf. I think the work on the backroom staff (his German pal notwithstanding) has been done to improve the overall standard of coaching at the club, rather than at Laszlo's behest. I think the reason he hasn't been sacked is still related to the proposed takeover of the club. My reading of the position is that Martin and the others are only holding the shares pending a further sale. They stepped in when it became apparent that Thompson was playing silly buggers so they bought him out and will sell the shares on again relatively soon. If that's the case then the argument to keep the manager in place until new owners take over remains. I'd still punt him though. A small outlay on his sacking being preferable to losing the title race before the season even starts.

Edited by Pull My Strings

Based on Saturday, if we do not sign a target man over 6ft before the season starts i will have been convinced this is all some sort of fever dream, and go with the Groundhog Day approach of stepping out in front of cars in an effort to wake myself up

32 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Our chairman rates him.

He has allowed him to bring in another assistant manager, backroom staff and replace a whole squad.

If it was about money, sacking him would have been far less expensive than all that.

He thinks "stability" is important however we're stabily shite at the moment.

If sticking with a manager regardless guarantees you success, we'd be as well putting a monkey in charge on a lifetime contract and paying it in peanuts.

In using the term "stable" I can only assume that Mike Martin and Theresa May have copies of a rare dictionary where that word means something else.

25 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

It would be a bad thing as people would either die or be seriously injured.  I am not in favour of that.

That clown hasn't got a clue get rid of him now don't wait till November/December time do it now 

Sad state of a club solely down to bad management at the top board level 

Jim McIntyre is your man 100% but the longer u wait the worse its getting 

Save your club get rid of him Now

3 hours ago, Newmember said:

That clown hasn't got a clue get rid of him now don't wait till November/December time do it now 

Sad state of a club solely down to bad management at the top board level 

Jim McIntyre is your man 100% but the longer u wait the worse its getting 

Save your club get rid of him Now

Do you think the new players are behind him?