Dundee United 2018/2019

Whether in defence or midfield he always needed to be part of a back three to be in any way effective. Simply doesn't have the discipline or intelligence to work in central midfield without extensive graft from other players. His ability to roll a player and at times dictate tempo could be aesthetically pleasing, but he's otherwise very limited IMO.

Dropping down a level and being in a new environment might help him, but he had to leave us this summer for the good of both parties.

If Barton is played as CB in a back 4, you're fucked

If played in CM and expected to do any defensive work, you're fucked

He is only decent as a sweeper in a back 3 as the 2 other CBs are doing the defending - that said, he also has to be interested (spoiler, he wont)

This isn't bitterness etc, you're just being well and truley warned that you have spunked money on an imposter whilst allowing us to strengthen

Barton's talent is beyond question but he doesn't seem to have the mentality to match it; which is ultimately why he's pitched up in Scotland rather than realise the lofty hights hoped for him at Preston.

On the basis of his time with us, he's certainly not best utilised in midfield where the kindest way to describe him is pedestrian. His best performances tended to come at sweeper where he was able to bring the ball out of defence and start attacks. He's great on the ball, very comfortable and is actually rather good in the air when he challenges.

However, there has certainly been a suspicion amongst the Thistle support that he wasn't the best influence in the dressing room last season with rumoured bust ups with other players and a couple of rather ill advised articles in the press slating his team mates. It's not a massive leap to assume that he may have been one of the players that Archie referred to when saying he'd been too loyal to certain players and that some couldn't wait to leave the club. That would be a worry at for me at United where Laszlo's management appears to be rather unorthodox at best.

That said, it's a disappointing parting of ways. He was exceptional in his first season and he looked like someone we could sell back down to England for decent dollar. We also laid out a princely sum (for us) to get him here in the first place.

Surprised that he's remained in Scotland to be honest and even more so that it's in the Championship. Without casting aspersions, you have to imagine that United are paying good money to convince him to sign.

It's perhaps ironic that the last player we had who was in a similar vein to Barton - our current assistant manager - also ended up at Tannadice.

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Mcmullan and Robson still utter shite and team have no shape.

If it's being treated as pre season why only make one sub and why charge me 15 quid to get in.

Before the game he was bemoaning that he was restricted to 3 given the pre-season feeling of these games.

I’ve given up on United just now - I can find better ways to be depressed.

12 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

The Shabba revolution begins in earnest. 

Taking a very strong Arbroath team all the way to penalties shows he’s on the right track IMO. Nicky Clark again showing he’s one of the best in the business when it comes to scoring against part timers. 

17 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

I fear an abysmal season we normally get through these groups , doesn’t seem likely this season

I’m trying not to be too negative but Falkirk showed last season how easily it can be done, and bringing in a new manager mid-way through the season is always a bit of a lottery.

Before the game he was bemoaning that he was restricted to 3 given the pre-season feeling of these games. I’ve given up on United just now - I can find better ways to be depressed.

If only Csaba knew that we had no other option but to only put 3 on because we have players on holidays and still have 5/6 new signings to come. Our strongest back 4 and keeper playing today but a bit of a patched up effort for the rest of the team.

Thompson leaves and look what happens.  Here is some free neighbourly advice:

Time for a protest to bring Thompson back.  

Next home game, as the match time clock shows 10 minutes start a chant of “we want Thompson back, say we want Thompson back”.  Do this for prescisely 2 minutes then break into a roaring crescendo, making as much noise as possible.

No need to thank me.  

On 15/05/2018 at 16:44, Pull My Strings said:

I'll only be satisfied when every player has been released, the manager sacked, the board resign, the shareholders buried alive, the stadium dismantled, burned and the ground underneath the ruins salted. 

Bump.