Dundee United 2018/2019

Not especially minted but certainly not short of a bob or two.

This means very little in today’s footballing context - define “not short of a bob or two”? It takes multiple hundreds of thousands, even millions to sustain this club and not short of a bob or two won’t fill the gap.

If there is a pragmatic approach to raising working capital through a new commercial
approach and a new network then this will work, otherwise it’s as you were.

The early bird season ticketmprices need to be extended in light of today’s news, then the club can take it from there and gauge the appetite for further “changes”.

5 hours ago, GrantB878 said:

This means very little in today’s footballing context - define “not short of a bob or two”? It takes multiple hundreds of thousands, even millions to sustain this club and not short of a bob or two won’t fill the gap.

If there is a pragmatic approach to raising working capital through a new commercial
approach and a new network then this will work, otherwise it’s as you were.

The early bird season ticketmprices need to be extended in light of today’s news, then the club can take it from there and gauge the appetite for further “changes”.

Yeah I don’t think any of these new shareholders bring much to the table in the way of personal wealth.  Maybe Thomson no longer having a role is somehow symbolic and can lead to further change, but it would have been beneficial to attract a supporter with real resources.  

However there doesn’t seem to be any particularly wealthy United supporters on the radar out there so we have to do with what we’ve got.

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah I don’t think any of these new shareholders bring much to the table in the way of personal wealth.  Maybe Thomson no longer having a role is somehow symbolic and can lead to further change, but it would have been beneficial to attract a supporter with real resources.  

However there doesn’t seem to be any particularly wealthy United supporters on the radar out there so we have to do with what we’ve got.

I think no one seemed to want to deal with Thompson. Maybe now hes away theres more chance of investment now. 

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Not my business but the only way your club will progress is to bring about fan ownership and plan to live within your means.

Relying on the next big spender is outdated thinking in the modern game.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I think no one seemed to want to deal with Thompson. Maybe now hes away theres more chance of investment now. 

My gut instinct is that this deal is more to do with the removal of Thompson as a symbolic gesture and that the current board structure will look very different moving forward. This would hopefully encourage more fan engagement, further potential investment and maybe the involvement of the DUSF. United, in theory, have a very solid potential customer base if the club was doing reasonably well so the board should be making the most of this to ensure we are living within our means and using the fans as much as possible (supplemented with the usual commercial opportunities that may become available). 

The sudden surge of relief/positivity with this announcement needs to be grabbed with both hands by the board. If we manage to get a decent few performances in the Betfred, a couple of good signings and some decent PR then we should be in a good position to kick on as a club. It all sound okay in theory...... 

Of course Csaba is still here so there is that.

15 minutes ago, Potted hOuGh said:

Not my business but the only way your club will progress is to bring about fan ownership and plan to live within your means.

Relying on the next big spender is outdated thinking in the modern game.

I’m not against fan ownership, I think that it’s too easily dismissed.

That said there is not a single club in the top two Scottish Leagues that is not owned by wealthy individuals so we are no different.

30 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not against fan ownership, I think that it’s too easily dismissed.

That said there is not a single club in the top two Scottish Leagues that is not owned by wealthy individuals so we are no different.

I don' think that is completely true (although others may have a better idea). I'm fairly certain Motherwell and Dunfermline both have majority shareholdings designated to fans groups rather than individuals (Well Society and Pars United) and St.Mirren are planning handing over theirs to fans. I'm not too sure just how many clubs have significant majority shareholders (Falkirk and Partick don't I think have any one individual who owns a majority stake). 

58 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I don' think that is completely true (although others may have a better idea). I'm fairly certain Motherwell and Dunfermline both have majority shareholdings designated to fans groups rather than individuals (Well Society and Pars United) and St.Mirren are planning handing over theirs to fans. I'm not too sure just how many clubs have significant majority shareholders (Falkirk and Partick don't I think have any one individual who owns a majority stake). 

True of both clubs.

The fan owned vision for the Pars came about by a fan group initally called The Pars Community.

They were a group who came together to provide the basis to take on Gavin Masterton after it was beyond doubt that the club was on it's knees.

Pars Alive started as a Facebook page then became the vehicle for various fan groupings to come together and began fund raising etc.

All ended up combined as Pars United and we took control of the club.

The current Pars Chairman Ross McArthur was instrumental from the start and he was the main driving force for change and he is still the main driver for the future of our club.

Under his guidance he has been working to ensure we start earning back respect and trust within the local business community, wider community and the Scottish footballing community.

He and many others work for nothing. We're lucky to have him and the other people giving up their lives to keep our club going in the right direction.

Fans are emotional creatures full of unrealistic ambitions but it's how we are, and we just take for granted that those running our clubs are acting in it's best interest and that they will continue to fund our expectations.

However when things go tits up the only people who are there to arrest the situation are the fans, that's us. 

I think that the fans have never had a better opportunity than now to become empowered and to come together and win back their clubs.

If fans run the clubs as a group it's more likely that they'll make correct decisions to benefit the club. 

The game in this country is still being run by egotistical, self interested individuals and dubious groups and it's ripe for change. Fans should be taking back what belongs to us. 

Edited by Potted hOuGh

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Aye, Motherwell are fully fan owned.

The full spiel about The Well Society/Motherwell FC ownership is here but yeah, we've been officially fan owned since October 2016.

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, StoneThrowAway said:

Oooooft Barton was probably one of the worst I’ve seen play in Dungwall. Hard luck boiiiiiz. 

That game was the end of any respect Thistle fans had for him. An abortion of a performance where he completely gave up.

When we finished top six he was outstanding and won our player of the year, so he obviously has the potential to be very good at this level considering he's already proved he can do it in the top flight. However, last season, his attitude was utterly stinking, so if United have a poor start, it could be interesting to see how things go.

Sounds like a coin flip in the Ciftci mould, probably worth it.

Worrying chat from Shambles earlier, though.

Hopefully, in the next two weeks we will get maybe three players the team needs.

Hopefully get players we need. f**k sake.