Dundee United 2018/2019

8 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:

Going by the article on it, it was about United and not Dunfermline

It is irrelevant which of the two clubs it is as both would not meet being a foreign top flight club anyway for work permit criteria.

1 minute ago, stumigoo said:

They signed Nick van der Velden from us so there’s maybe more to it than just it being about United in the Championship.

Was he with you when you were in the Championship? Because I'm sure that's the actual rule. He must have played in the countries top flight with his last club. 

9 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Was he with you when you were in the Championship? Because I'm sure that's the actual rule. He must have played in the countries top flight with his last club. 

Yes, van der Velden joined United the summer before the first season in the Championship.   I remember him scoring the equaliser against QoS in a 1-1 at Tannadice at the start of that season.

Edited by CaspianChris

Yeah he was with us in the Championship. I did read one suggestion that given he is Dutch and his last Dutch club were in the Eredivisie when he was there then that might have qualified him for a work permit. Not sure the ins and outs of it but there must be something more to the Flood case given the same club signed a player from us the year before.

Bali United probably just assumed a global club like Dundee United was in the top division.

I can just imagine them sitting there in stunned disbelief muttering “fucking Jackie McNamara” in Balinese.

19 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Yeah he was with us in the Championship. I did read one suggestion that given he is Dutch and his last Dutch club were in the Eredivisie when he was there then that might have qualified him for a work permit. Not sure the ins and outs of it but there must be something more to the Flood case given the same club signed a player from us the year before.

I think Indonesia's a former colony of the Netherlands so there may be reciprocal work permit arrangements, or some such. 

This is seriously disappointing news, no surprise that baldy clown has screwed things up and driven a buyer of his shares away.

Deal dead for Stephen Thompson’s majority shares sale in @dundeeunitedfc 
Potential buyer John Gibson, has pulled, out saying unacceptable conditions were being imposed after he thought he had a deal. Doesn’t sound like it’ll be resuscitated. Perhaps current board will buy !

Source is Jim Spence on Twitter. 

Edited by CaspianChris

51 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

This is seriously disappointing news, no surprise that baldy clown has screwed things up and driven a buyer of his shares away.

Potential buyer John Gibson, has pulled, out saying unacceptable conditions were being imposed after he thought he had a deal. Doesn’t sound like it’ll be resuscitated. Perhaps current board will buy !

Is this the same John Gibson that wanted Vladimir Romanov to buy United before he bought Hearts?

If so we may have dodged a bullet.

So Tony Watt and now Ali Crawford both turned us down for other deals. Both would have strengthened our squad

No surprise Crawford chose league one in England over the Scottish championship, and no surprise watt chose the premiership over the championship. Nothing to get too upset about, we shouldn’t be offering players like these silly deals when they are going to non competitors who are in a stronger position than we are.

1 hour ago, CaspianChris said:

42 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Is this the same John Gibson that wanted Vladimir Romanov to buy United before he bought Hearts?

If so we may have dodged a bullet.

The strange thing here is that it is John Gibson who is part of the hierarchy at the Dundee United Supporters Foundation so it seems strange that someone at DUSF has gone ahead and tried to do this without the support of the whole group. If the deal has collapsed then what next for the DUSF and the funds they are trying to generate?  

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

The strange thing here is that it is John Gibson who is part of the hierarchy at the Dundee United Supporters Foundation so it seems strange that someone at DUSF has gone ahead and tried to do this without the support of the whole group. If the deal has collapsed then what next for the DUSF and the funds they are trying to generate?  

I realise I don't know any of the ins and outs, but if the chairman was looking for a full whack up front, was this guy maybe not looking to buy the club up front then allow the supporters group to pay for it in installments? I'm sure the ginger God that is Jim Spence will ha e more soon.