Celtic in Europe 2018-19, the long and winding road

senorsoupe

27 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

You misread my post didn't you? I did post "thought" and I should have posted over both legs. Not that my thoughts are facts or that my memory is eidetic it was just the thought this might have happened back then. But thanks for posting irrelevant information anyway dismissing the fact I mentioned the 80's as a decade and not the last two years of it and then surpassing the early 90's into the mid 90's. Panathonaikos did have one amazing year and also reached the CL groups stages in the mid 90's but the rest of the Greek teams were as I posted shite during this period barely scraping past the first round in most cases conceding 4-5 plus goals over two legs when Scottish were winning European cups or reaching the latter stages.

I haven't misread anything, or provided any irrelevant information. You said that you saw AEK Athens and thought you'd win by 5 or 6, and then when questioned on it, you said Scottish teams were good in Europe at that time and Greek teams were "shit". Greek teams haven't been shit or a walkover pretty much ever in continental football. Not as good as Scottish teams in the early 80's, certainly, or at various other periods, but never shit. I chose a date range from 1988-2000 because AEK were particularly solid in Europe at that point, but they were consistently reliable in it long before that. They made the QF of the European Cup in 68-69; two seasons after Celtic won the thing. Ergo, I doubt even Celtic's greatest ever team would be taking 5 or 6 off them at that time.

My point is, Greece has basically never been some sort of mug nation whose teams were instantly dismissed. You can disagree with that if you like, the statistical history kind of speaks for itself.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olympiacos put us out of Europe in the season after we played Atletico in the semi finals. Greek teams have always been decent. I’m sure when Celtic or Rangers were occasionally making the last 16 in the early to mid 00s Greek teams were often the other also rans like us alongside the Italians, English, Germans and Spanish. They've always been a force to be reckoned with for Celtic, you’d need to be mental (hellbhoy :P) to say otherwise. It was an unfortunate draw and our inability to capitalise on our chances tonight was very disappointing.

8 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I haven't misread anything, or provided any irrelevant information. You said that you saw AEK Athens and thought you'd win by 5 or 6, and then when questioned on it, you said Scottish teams were good in Europe at that time and Greek teams were "shit". Greek teams haven't been shit or a walkover pretty much ever in continental football. Not as good as Scottish teams in the early 80's, certainly, or at various other periods, but never shit. I chose a date range from 1988-2000 because AEK were particularly solid in Europe at that point, but they were consistently reliable in it long before that. They made the QF of the European Cup in 68-69; two seasons after Celtic won the thing. Ergo, I doubt even Celtic's greatest ever team would be taking 5 or 6 off them at that time.

My point is, Greece has basically never been some sort of mug nation whose teams were instantly dismissed. You can disagree with that if you like, the statistical history kind of speaks for itself.

As I posted in the other post. AEK Athens were fucking shite during the 80's. So what exactly is your point here?

I hasten to add once more. This was what I thought at the time during the 80's & early 90's. It has f**k all to do with facts of the matter and that is what I posted. OK fair enough you did make valid points but for us older c***s nearing their 50's there was once upon a time were Scottish football clubs were feared in Europe and the mindset was that if you got particular teams you'd be right in thinking your team could take a good few goals off them. AEK were one of them.

1 minute ago, The OP said:

Olympiacos put us out of Europe in the season after we played Atletico in the semi finals. Greek teams have always been decent. I’m sure when Celtic or Rangers were occasionally making the last 16 in the early to mid 00s Greek teams were often the other also rans like us alongside the Italians, English, Germans and Spanish. They've always been a force to be reckoned with for Celtic, you’d need to be mental (hellbhoy :P) to say otherwise. It was an unfortunate draw and our inability to capitalise on our chances tonight was very disappointing.

AEK were shite during the period I specified and then some c**t comes along and posts facts about other Greek clubs during a latter period ffs?

AEK were shite tonight but Celtic were more shitier. :P

Hopefully a far more stronger line up in Athens next week. I think Boyata will strengthen the defence and praying Dembele is fit and a 2-2 score draw or better. Game isn't over yet. I'll leave that until 15 minutes into the first half in Greece.

33 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

AEK were shite during the period I specified and then some c**t comes along and posts facts about other Greek clubs during a latter period ffs?

AEK were shite tonight but Celtic were more shitier. :P

Hopefully a far more stronger line up in Athens next week. I think Boyata will strengthen the defence and praying Dembele is fit and a 2-2 score draw or better. Game isn't over yet. I'll leave that until 15 minutes into the first half in Greece.

Tbf other than a game against Real Madrid in 79-80 Celtic were basically  in the doldrums until Martin O’Neill.

1 minute ago, The OP said:

Tbf other than a game against Real Madrid in 79-80 Celtic were basically  in the doldrums until Martin O’Neill.

My point still stands, I thought AEK were a pish team well over 25 years ago to nearly 40 years ago. I stand by it and nothing is going to change that. Can't folk have an opinion?

This AEK side? not as pish as their predecessors and look a far more formidable side and are favourites in the away leg. I thought their number 10 had a good touch in controlling the ball especially when receiving it in the air. Hopefully a few returning players make the difference and Celtic go into the game believing they can win and show more guts and determination to get by players instead of playing pass the parcel.

3 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

My point still stands, I thought AEK were a pish team well over 25 years ago to nearly 40 years ago. I stand by it and nothing is going to change that. Can't folk have an opinion?

This AEK side? not as pish as their predecessors and look a far more formidable side and are favourites in the away leg. I thought their number 10 had a good touch in controlling the ball especially when receiving it in the air. Hopefully a few returning players make the difference and Celtic go into the game believing they can win and show more guts and determination to get by players instead of playing pass the parcel.

I saw someone compare them to Boavista (in the Seville run) but unfortunately Celtic seem to wilt away in Europe these days. Fingers crossed the fact they’re behind in the tie engenders a better performance. 

Huge opportunity missed for Celtic last night. Combination of bad decision making, poor finishing and bad luck kept the Greeks in the match. For all Celtic looked good going forward, they were incredibly nervous looking whenever AEK had the ball. I can see a similar type of game over there though. AEK look content at sitting in and nicking one. Certainly their stats from last season would suggest this also.

10 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

You misread my post didn't you? I did post "thought" and I should have posted over both legs. Not that my thoughts are facts or that my memory is eidetic it was just the thought this might have happened back then. But thanks for posting irrelevant information anyway dismissing the fact I mentioned the 80's as a decade and not the last two years of it and then surpassing the early 90's into the mid 90's. Panathonaikos did have one amazing year and also reached the CL groups stages in the mid 90's but the rest of the Greek teams were as I posted shite during this period barely scraping past the first round in most cases conceding 4-5 plus goals over two legs when Scottish were winning European cups or reaching the latter stages.

:lol:

What laughable rubbish.   I'm sure I just read you saying on another thread that you admit it when you make an arse of things.  Yet here you are defending the nonsense you wrote and then had comprehensively dismantled.

You said that it was changed days now from when you'd expect Celtic to win by 5/6 to 0 against sides like that.  You were asked about when such a time was and you cited the 80s and 90s.   The reply to this showed that such a claim was utter nonsense.  

And that brought us to the response above.  You and Charlie Adam should form a support group.

On 06/08/2018 at 15:47, hellbhoy said:

Long gone are the days when you got the likes of AEK Athens and thought 5 or 6 nil at home. :lol: Changed days eh? 

The "at home" bit doesn't suggest you were referring to a scoreline over the two legs, as you have subsequently claimed.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Has a Scottish team ever beaten a Greek team five or six nil?

Not sure.

I do remember a Swiss team beating a Scottish one 5-1, as well as a Slovakian one beating a Scottish side 5-0, but that's not what you asked, so isn't much help.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Not sure.

I do remember a Swiss team beating a Scottish one 5-1, as well as a Slovakian one beating a Scottish side 5-0, but that's not what you asked, so isn't much help.

Being a geek, I looked up the records of top Greek teams against Scottish sides

Panathaniakos

Beat Rangers 3-1 and drew 1-1 in 2003/4 Champions League

Beat Motherwell 5-0 on aggregate in 2012/13 Champions League qualifier.

Beat Aberdeen 3-0 in 2007/08 UEFA Cup, lost to Rangers on away goals in last 32.

AEK Athens

Beat Rangers 3-0 on aggregate in 1994/95 Champions League qualifier.

Beat Hibs 4-3 on aggregate in 2001/02 UEFA Cup

Beat Hearts 5-1 on aggregate in 2006/07 Champions League qualifier.

Beat Dundee Utd 2-1 on aggregate in 2010/11 Europea League qualifer.

Olympiacos

Lost 4-3 on aggregate to Dunfermline Athletic in 1969 Cup winners Cup.

Beat Celtic 3-1 on aggregate in 1974/75 European Cup

PAOK

Lost 2-0 on aggregate to Rangers in 1998/99 UEFA Cup.

Asteras Tripoli

Lost 4-3 on aggregate to Hibs in 2018/19 Europa League.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Being a geek, I looked up the records of top Greek teams against Scottish sides

Panathaniakos

Beat Rangers 3-1 and drew 1-1 in 2003/4 Champions League

Beat Motherwell 5-0 on aggregate in 2012/13 Champions League qualifier.

Beat Aberdeen 3-0 in 2007/08 UEFA Cup, lost to Rangers on away goals in last 32.

AEK Athens

Beat Rangers 3-0 on aggregate in 1994/95 Champions League qualifier.

Beat Hibs 4-3 on aggregate in 2001/02 UEFA Cup

Beat Hearts 5-1 on aggregate in 2006/07 Champions League qualifier.

Beat Dundee Utd 2-1 on aggregate in 2010/11 Europea League qualifer.

Olympiacos

Lost 4-3 on aggregate to Dunfermline Athletic in 1969 Cup winners Cup.

Beat Celtic 3-1 on aggregate in 1974/75 European Cup

PAOK

Lost 2-0 on aggregate to Rangers in 1998/99 UEFA Cup.

Asteras Tripoli

Lost 4-3 on aggregate to Hibs in 2018/19 Europa League.

Yeah, but still...

9 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

I’ve given you statistics to show that AEK have never been shit in Europe. Your original statement was nonsense and all the backtracking over date ranges and having a bad memory don’t change that. Celtic have never been at a stage where their fans should have been thinking they’d beat AEK by 5 or 6. Not now, not in the 80s or 90s that you’ve stated, and not even back in the late 60s when Celtic were at their very best.

It’s really quite simple, but feel free to continue having your wee huff about being called out for talking shite.

Archived