Celtic in Europe 2018-19, the long and winding road

senorsoupe

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As good a side as Celtic are in Scotland , this is about the level in Europe they are at. On their day they can  win games like this but are just as likely to go out at around this stage.  Heard the bbc guy asking Rodgers about Mcginn going to Villa and just wondered what possible difference he could have made..Unless Celtic add 3 or 4 players as good as  Nt,cham etc they are never going to be better than the kind of opposition you draw at this stage of the CL..  Yet they keep collecting players like Allen , Christie , Morgan , Hayes  , Hendry etc all good players to be fair but not whats needed to go further in Europe.. Still in with a chance  but very hard going over to Greece having to win ..

5 minutes ago, gastropod said:

As good a side as Celtic are in Scotland , this is about the level in Europe they are at. On their day they can  win games like this but are just as likely to go out at around this stage.  Heard the bbc guy asking Rodgers about Mcginn going to Villa and just wondered what possible difference he could have made..Unless Celtic add 3 or 4 players as good as  Nt,cham etc they are never going to be better than the kind of opposition you draw at this stage of the CL..  Yet they keep collecting players like Allen , Christie , Morgan , Hayes  , Hendry etc all good players to be fair but not whats needed to go further in Europe.. Still in with a chance  but very hard going over to Greece having to win ..

Pretty much this.

34 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Ntcham is a very, very good player. My early tip for SPFL Player of the Year this season. 

Hes my shout too, an utter Rolls Royce of a player. 

Anyway my prediction is a sneaky 2-2 draw away next week.

We will concede at least 1 next week but I have faith in Rodgers to come up with the right team.

No doubt Celtic were the better team on the night,thought it was a pen in the first half,a lot of time wasting from the Greeks in the second half,poor result.
The Greeks look really solid at the back,hate teams that park the bus,keeping the faith Celtic can score in Athens.

18 minutes ago, gastropod said:

Agree about Ntcham.

Clearly a very talented player, but worth remembering too that he wasn't a regular for Genoa.

Of course he was younger, and clearly had talent or he wouldn't have been with them or indeed Man City.

But Genoa are a mid-table Serie A team, and they didn't take up their option to buy him. When he's an absolute standout at this stage in Europe, it shows just how far behind the top European sides Celtic are.

That's not a dig, it's understandable given the financial gulf (something that plays in their favour in Scotland) but just shows how hard it is for any Scottish team to really compete in Europe.

Celtic are by some distance the best in the country, and their best players have come from mid-table teams in the top leagues.

Edouard was on loan at Toulouse previously, Boyata at Bolton and Twente, Dembele came from Fulham, Sinclair came from Aston Villa...

Guest bernardblack
Hes my shout too, an utter Rolls Royce of a player. 
Anyway my prediction is a sneaky 2-2 draw away next week.
We will concede at least 1 next week but I have faith in Rodgers to come up with the right team.

I honestly don’t see the fuss about him?

Slows everything down and needs three touches when one or two will do....to them play it to Tierney every single time.

12 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Between 1988-2000 AEK were in Europe all seasons except for one, and only conceded more than 3 goals in any individual tie once (a 4-1 defeat to Mönchengladbach in Germany) in over 50 matches. They beat Rangers in 1994 as well, who at the time were in the middle of their 9 in a row and obviously better than Celtic.

Panathinaikos also made the European Cup/Champions League semi-finals in both the 80s and 90s.

No idea who would be predicting Celtic to take 5 or 6 off AEK at this (or any) time.

You misread my post didn't you? I did post "thought" and I should have posted over both legs. Not that my thoughts are facts or that my memory is eidetic it was just the thought this might have happened back then. But thanks for posting irrelevant information anyway dismissing the fact I mentioned the 80's as a decade and not the last two years of it and then surpassing the early 90's into the mid 90's. Panathonaikos did have one amazing year and also reached the CL groups stages in the mid 90's but the rest of the Greek teams were as I posted shite during this period barely scraping past the first round in most cases conceding 4-5 plus goals over two legs when Scottish were winning European cups or reaching the latter stages.

Just now, Greenlantern said:

Couldn't tell if it was him or Hendry at fault for their goal.

It was Ajer :/

Typical fucking Celtic though, everything was looking good and everybody was feeling positive but then the typical defense gifts the opposition an easy goal and the whole place is a flat as a pancake. Its infuriating how easy we make it for other teams to score. seriously wtf was Ajer doing.

And nae wonder Brenden isnt happy with the lack of transfer activity, look at tonights bench, f**k all to bring on to change a game like tonights. 

But hey ho, we'll probably sell Boyata to Fulham tomorrow for whatever figure it is they're offering so dont fear, the balance sheets will be fine guys!

It ended up a Greek tragedy right enough. A team devoid of any idea how to take on a player too the by line but elected to tippy tappy football hoping that some c**t had knew what the f**k to do with the ball.

That AEK number 3 certainly gave a good account of himself, the c**t. :angry:

This is a team that needs new players added to the squad in central defence and another striker. The team looked static tonight at times and not enough get up and go at them attitude. The tactics just aren't direct enough imo especially on counter attacking were I'd half expect 3 or 4 players to run like they are being chased by Ussain Bolt wielding a knife.

Team just weren't up for it. And young Hendry was having a nightmare at times.

As for the fuckers at the back of the lower Jock Stein stand? How did a dozen or more AEK fans manage to get in there? They gave abuse and got abuse and at times more fun to watch than the game, the c***s.

1 hour ago, gastropod said:

Edit - actually realised I don’t disagree with a lot of this just picked this post to make the below point to.

I disagree in that we see St Johnstone play that way and get away with a point too. Celtic were dominant both halfs but lack of cutting edge and a brainfart where everyone seemed to think the ball was going out cost us. Thing is, I’m sure AEK away will be a hundred times harder than St Johnstone and we’ll be pumped into the Europa. But it was just one of those nights where we couldn’t break down a packed defence.

Special shout out to Forrest who I thought was excellent.

Archived