Celtic in Europe 2018-19, the long and winding road

senorsoupe

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Aberdeen are outperforming Hamilton and Celtic are underperforming Ajax.

So your point makes no sense.

Ajax are trailing PSV in the league by 5 points (although admittedly they have a game in hand) and they haven't won their league since 2013/14.  They haven't won their domestic cup since 2009/10. What you are doing is confusing having one exceptional season in Europe with being an exceptional team. 

1 minute ago, The OP said:

Ajax are trailing PSV in the league by 5 points (although admittedly they have a game in hand) and they haven't won their league since 2013/14.  They haven't won their domestic cup since 2009/10. What you are doing is confusing having one exceptional season in Europe with being an exceptional team. 

Ajax don't play in Scotland. What you are doing is confusing two entirely different domestic leagues.

I didn't mention anything about Ajax being an "exceptional" team.

51 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Ajax don't play in Scotland.

It's odd when someone makes the argument about why a team might be better (notwithstanding suspicious wage-bills) for you. 

1 hour ago, The OP said:

Ajax paid 11.4m Euros for Tadic, 12m Euros for Neres and £13.8m for Blind. I find it hard to believe that those players will be on around £15k per week. 

Especially where those players were signed from. They wouldn't have been on wee money.

Also worth noting the Dutch TV deal is miles better than ours. Ajax have a lot more of a budget than Celtic.

6 minutes ago, The OP said:

It's odd when someone makes the argument about why a team might be better (notwithstanding suspicious wage-bills) for you. 

Celtic are better than Ajax because Ajax don't play in Scotland and because Aberdeen have a bigger budget than Hamilton?

You're doing well this morning. :1eye

1 hour ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Celtic are better than Ajax because Ajax don't play in Scotland and because Aberdeen have a bigger budget than Hamilton?

You're doing well this morning. :1eye

I wasn’t involved in the Hamilton chat m9. To explain for the educationally subnormal, teams from the Dutch league will generally have advantages over Scottish teams, particularly in terms of player attraction and retention.

That’s not to say Ajax’s result against a top Spanish team wasn’t stunning as the Dutch league is another which has been left behind in the CL era, just less so than Scotland.

I’ve seen people suggest we should emulate Ajax but I think the team we should be questioning ourselves about are RB Salzburg.

1 hour ago, The OP said:

I wasn’t involved in the Hamilton chat m9.

You quoted and replied to my specific post about the Hamilton chat m8.

The fact that all your replies have been nonsensical and irrelevant probably explains why you don't think you were involved in the Hamilton chat!

To explain for the educationally subnormal, teams from the Dutch league will generally have advantages over Scottish teams, particularly in terms of player attraction and retention.

What has this got to do with your own point about Ajax underperforming in their domestic league?

You should maybe get your own education up to normality!

And your point below is completely irrelevant to anything I've posted about!

That’s not to say Ajax’s result against a top Spanish team wasn’t stunning as the Dutch league is another which has been left behind in the CL era, just less so than Scotland.

I’ve seen people suggest we should emulate Ajax but I think the team we should be questioning ourselves about are RB Salzburg.

11 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

You quoted and replied to my specific post about the Hamilton chat m8.

The fact that all your replies have been nonsensical and irrelevant probably explains why you don't think you were involved in the Hamilton chat!

What has this got to do with your own point about Ajax underperforming in their domestic league?

You should maybe get your own education up to normality!

And your point below is completely irrelevant to anything I've posted about!

You will find as you become more competent on this board there is often more than one point and more than one discussion on the go at the same time. You will also find that people will respond to a response on a topic without necessarily agreeing with the original point. The two discussions as I see it are -

1) Ajax are what Celtic should be seeking to emulate. My point is that Ajax are not the big fish in their own pond and will possibly end another season trophyless.  This would not be acceptable for Celtic. Within their own constraints and environment, Ajax are not doing particularly well. 

2) Ajax are better than Celtic on a similar or worse wage bill. The point here is that they can attract a better quality of player due to their playing environment and given the money they spend are potentially hiding wages among bonuses or similar. 

I also note that you're doing a lot of exclaiming. I look forward to further interesting exclamations on future threads. 

1 minute ago, The OP said:

You will find as you become more competent on this board there is often more than one point and more than one discussion on the go at the same time. You will also find that people will respond to a response on a topic without necessarily agreeing with the original point. The two discussions as I see it are -

1) Ajax are what Celtic should be seeking to emulate. My point is that Ajax are not the big fish in their own pond and will possibly end another season trophyless.  This would not be acceptable for Celtic. Within their own constraints and environment, Ajax are not doing particularly well. 

2) Ajax are better than Celtic on a similar or worse wage bill. The point here is that they can attract a better quality of player due to their playing environment and given the money they spend are potentially hiding wages among bonuses or similar. 

I also note that you're doing a lot of exclaiming. I look forward to further interesting exclamations on future threads. 

None of this is relevant to anything I have posted.

Feel free to make as many points and get involved in as many discussion as you wish. But when you reply to a post, you should at least try and make it relevant to the post.

And your entire reply here is irrelevant to anything I have posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I look forward to further irrelevant replies on future threads.

btw - I was on this board for many years. I'm just returning to it after a very long absence. I know how it works. ;)

Archived