Celtic in Europe 2018-19, the long and winding road

senorsoupe

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, killie_lad said:
8 minutes ago, Guts said:
"Most of the teams we play"

The gulf in difference between Celtic and Hamilton isn't even remotely comparible to that of Celtic and Salzburg/Valencia

Guts signs out**

Obviously Celtic have been pish and spent the money brought in extremely poorly then, I am surprised by those figures. It will be easier to lure players to those teams countries/leagues with maybe a bit less wages. I am guessing those players tonight would have cost a fair bit in transfer fees.

We have been worse with Rodgers who is the best manager we've had in ages. 

2 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:
2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:
Celtic just don't want it enough.

Excactly. As Wastecoat keeps telling us it's about mentality or some shite, money is irrelevant.

I want my money back after tonight,when McGregor moved to left back Brendan Rodgers threw the game.
An absolute fecking disgrace, still looking for a scalp in Europe after nearly 3 years  of watching Brendan's Celtic. 

Rodgers is obviously a very good coach, he's shown it throughout his career and domestically (particularly in his first season) he's made Celtic a fantastic side.

I do think though that tonight showed why he's behind the real top level managers.

No idea why he constantly tries to outplay obviously better teams in Europe. Much as with teams in Scotland there's a financial gulf (at times), but just as in Scotland you can still ask questions when there are repeated thrashings.

As an example I remember Lee Clark setting up in a very attacking style at Celtic Park in Rodgers' first season, and though we took a lead we got humped 6-1. Thought we were totally naive that day.

Earlier this season we lost 5-1, but I'd put that down to a bad day at the office as we haven't had many of those under Sir Steve. Under Rodgers Celtic have lost 5-0 and 7-1 to PSG and 7-0 to Barcelona, as well as games like tonight where they've been totally outclassed.

Just seems like Rodgers refuses to adapt between the league and Europe, and what works in Scotland is a disaster in Europe.

Would also question his signings, certainly at Liverpool and Celtic he's got a very poor record.

Think there are probably managers out there who would be less dominant domestically, but also make Celtic more competitive in Europe by being a bit more pragmatic.

Think there are probably managers out there who would be less dominant domestically, but also make Celtic more competitive in Europe by being a bit more pragmatic.

Celtic will never do anything meaningful in Europe again though. Would they rather have a manager that gets them to the CL last 16, but let Rangers win title number 55/1? I very much doubt it. The priority is surely 10 in a row, and for a club at their level that's as much as they can aspire to.

5 hours ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Valencia spend £68 million on wages, so a wee bit more than Celtic.

However, the idea that Celtic can't compete financially in the Europa League is clearly questionable.  Not only that, but the ceaseless gibbering of this excuse is beginning to affect them on the pitch. 

Celtic's wage bill is twelfth out of thirty-two clubs in the competition. Their revenue is listed as eleventh out of the same number of teams.

“Hello Mr. Foreign Footballer, you can have £40k a week at one of two clubs. Would you rather move to Valencia and play in La Liga or move to Glasgow and play in whatever the SPL’s calling itself these days?”

3 hours ago, The OP said:

“Hello Mr. Foreign Footballer, you can have £40k a week at one of two clubs. Would you rather move to Valencia and play in La Liga or move to Glasgow and play in whatever the SPL’s calling itself these days?”

Surprised it took this long for the rest of us to be blamed, tbh.

8 hours ago, killiefan27 said:

Rodgers is obviously a very good coach, he's shown it throughout his career and domestically (particularly in his first season) he's made Celtic a fantastic side.

I do think though that tonight showed why he's behind the real top level managers.

No idea why he constantly tries to outplay obviously better teams in Europe. Much as with teams in Scotland there's a financial gulf (at times), but just as in Scotland you can still ask questions when there are repeated thrashings.

As an example I remember Lee Clark setting up in a very attacking style at Celtic Park in Rodgers' first season, and though we took a lead we got humped 6-1. Thought we were totally naive that day.

Earlier this season we lost 5-1, but I'd put that down to a bad day at the office as we haven't had many of those under Sir Steve. Under Rodgers Celtic have lost 5-0 and 7-1 to PSG and 7-0 to Barcelona, as well as games like tonight where they've been totally outclassed.

Just seems like Rodgers refuses to adapt between the league and Europe, and what works in Scotland is a disaster in Europe.

Would also question his signings, certainly at Liverpool and Celtic he's got a very poor record.

Very good post. There’s a reason he’s at Celtic and it’s not because he’s top drawer.

Two of the subs Valencia brought on cost them €56 million Euros. Celtic still made a rip roaring c**t of it though and where masters of their own downfall. They couldn't string two passes together or hold a line. Sinclair was their best player and he got subbed.  Rogers trying to play attacking football to one of the best defenses in Spain.  Valencia to field their youth team in Spain and still win to nil.

9 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Valencia's turnover was £89m in 2017

https://www.ft.com/content/0664fffc-c4bc-11e8-8670-c5353379f7c2

Celtics was £90.6m

http://www.celticfc.net/news/14977

True. But we don't have a Tycoon from Singapore throwing 200 million euros into the club so we can have a net spend of over 50 million euros in the summer.

Salzburg are a much closer comparison to Celtic, and ones that we should be looking at to emulate, as they are miles ahead of us just now.

9 minutes ago, Tartantony said:
8 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:
I want my money back after tonight,when McGregor moved to left back Brendan Rodgers threw the game.
An absolute fecking disgrace, still looking for a scalp in Europe after nearly 3 years  of watching Brendan's Celtic. 

Behave yourself man

Of course cos Brendan can do no wrong.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Surprised it took this long for the rest of us to be blamed, tbh.

Didn’t blame anyone. It’s an incontrovertible fact that Scottish football is less appealing than Spanish football and most people would view the Scottish climate, way of life, etc as worse than Spain’s. It’s not the only reason we were inferior to Valencia but it’s one people miss when they talk wagebill and turnover statistics.

Felt that Valencia were playing well within themselves last night. Happy to let Celtic have as much of the ball as they wanted, then pounced when they had the chance.

Celtic really struggled with their short passing when put under any kind of pressure. Every second touch was a tackle and every other pass a hospital ball. Brown was particularly inept in the first half.

Last 15-20 minutes, following the introduction of Edouard and Weah, the ball stuck a bit more up the other end. Until then, Burke had offered absolutely nothing, and the only threat being offered was from Sinclair, who had a decent enough game.

Scoreline was a fair reflection on the match.

1 hour ago, OSP said:

True. But we don't have a Tycoon from Singapore throwing 200 million euros into the club so we can have a net spend of over 50 million euros in the summer.

Salzburg are a much closer comparison to Celtic, and ones that we should be looking at to emulate, as they are miles ahead of us just now.

No tycoon from Singapore, Just a tight c**t from Ireland.

:P

Archived