Celtic in Europe 2018-19, the long and winding road

senorsoupe

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that was stinking.  Have the feeling that should Salzburg needed the win, they'd have taken four off us.  Rogic strolls through most matches like it's a bounce game, tonight he put in the sort of performance you'd expect from a guy who won a raffle, with the prize being getting to play for your team in a bounce match.  Gordon was keeping us in it until his brain farted for their second goal. McGregor, who's been great in his new role, seemed lost tonight. Truth be told, very few get pass marks tonight. 

Rosenborg have now given us Oor Harald and European football after Christmas. What a smashing bunch. 

3 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

Well, that was stinking.  Have the feeling that should Salzburg needed the win, they'd have taken four off us.  Rogic strolls through most matches like it's a bounce game, tonight he put in the sort of performance you'd expect from a guy who won a raffle, with the prize being getting to play for your team in a bounce match.  Gordon was keeping us in it until his brain farted for their second goal. McGregor, who's been great in his new role, seemed lost tonight. Truth be told, very few get pass marks tonight. 

Rosenborg have now given us Oor Harald and European football after Christmas. What a smashing bunch. 

Salzburg are a cracking side and by a distance the best I have seen in the Europa League this season so far. They fancy their chances at winning the thing, and rightfully so. Celtic really struggled with their passing and their counter attacks, RBS have the high press absolutely mastered and anything that was even the slightest bit off was pounced on. Rogic was maybe affect most by that as he lacks pace at the best of times, getting no space to take a touch meant he was left looking like an amateur.

I thought Celtic started the second half well, with Scott Brown far more effective than any of the other midfielders on show. Shame for Christie that he picked up that injury, was on some run of form, and as mentioned, Gordon had kept Celtic in it up until that horror show of a second goal.

9 points from that Group was what I tipped at the start, was questionable as to whether it would get them through, but it, and deservedly so. Can't see them going much further though, Frankfurt, Villareal or Zagreb probably the best draws in terms of giving them a decent chance at it.

Salzburg did to us what we sometimes do to teams here. They were first to everything and we really struggled to cope. It was obvious early on that we missed Brown in the middle.

Anyway, great to be through. I'd be happy to keep whatever tie we get alive going into the 2nd game.

1 minute ago, Romeo said:

Salzburg did to us what we sometimes do to teams here. They were first to everything and we really struggled to cope. It was obvious early on that we missed Brown in the middle.

Anyway, great to be through. I'd be happy to keep whatever tie we get alive going into the 2nd game.

Is the draw for the next round fixed, in terms of the seeds having a home tie second? Or is that decided when the draw is made?

25 minutes ago, Romeo said:

even with brown they were far too slick, really impressed by them

10 hours ago, The OP said:

Dinamo Zagreb, unless they have majorly upped it since their last few CL campaigns, are definitely on our level. Gotta assume Leverkusen are worse than Leipzig (although less likely to rest players at this stage).

That bad, eh?

13 hours ago, TheScarf said:

There's another example of the Scottish winger blindly firing the ball across the face of the goal to no one when the foreign striker has dropped 10 yards into space for a tap in. 

He put the cross in a great place for a centre forward.  We need our main striker to gamble more, a rich seam of goals available there.

12 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

In fairness, I haven't seen much Europa League since they took the highlights away from shIteTV so you may be right. 

There's short but decent highlights on the BT Sport Youtube channel.

3 hours ago, Ross. said:

Is the draw for the next round fixed, in terms of the seeds having a home tie second? Or is that decided when the draw is made?

It's fixed. The EL group winners and the 4 best CL 3rd placed teams are seeded, and play at home in the second leg. 

Overall chuffed to get through, didn't expect to when the draw was originally made.

Highly suspect a pumping is on it way for us in the next round. Genk would be about the only mob we'd have a good shout beating. Those saying Frankfurt clearly don't know anything about them. They would shite all over us I'm afraid.

Oh, and looking back at the comments from when we went behind, to Rosenborg equalising...

latest?cb=20130317014605

tenor.gif?itemid=9385442

15 hours ago, QwaarJet said:

You like all our teams in Europe losing?

Wait a minute...!!!! stop

What's this "our" ??? 

Yours maybe.

But not mine. In the slightest. 

So kindly refrain from that kind of talk, there's a good chap. 

Just now, The_Judge said:

You just finished above RB Leipzig who are a place above Eintracht in the German league?

I know, but RBL played a second string in almost every game. And in the end it's cost them.

Frankfurt have taken it much more seriously.

Rebic is an outstanding player, Jovic is banging them in for fun and although Haller looks like a big diddy at times, he still gets plenty of goals.

RBL's first 11 v Frankfurt's first 11 would be close, but we struggled against their reserves.

Archived