Celtic in Europe 2018-19, the long and winding road

senorsoupe

Sheep62 raised the point about Celtic's crap away record in Europe and was accused of losing the plot.
As for them doing well, it's harmful to Scotland as a whole as the rest of Europe gets the impression we're all bigots who sing sectarian songs and support terrorist organisations.

Whereas you just point score about child abuse.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/1/2018 at 18:57, GordonD said:

As for them doing well, it's harmful to Scotland as a whole as the rest of Europe gets the impression we're all bigots who sing sectarian songs and support terrorist organisations.

To be fair, most of them have no idea what the songs are about and simply think Celtic are Irish instead of Scottish.

13 minutes ago, Ross. said:

To be fair, most of them have no idea what the songs are about and simply think Celtic are Irish instead of Scottish.

Can you imagine how much improved Scottish football would be if they were Irish?

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

Can you imagine how much improved Scottish football would be if they were Irish?

Define improved?

The coefficient is pretty much a standard used to measure quality. On that basis, Scottish football would be hugely worse off...

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Define improved?

The coefficient is pretty much a standard used to measure quality. On that basis, Scottish football would be hugely worse off...

Lack of sectarian bile chanted at matches (Rangers would have nobody to hate.)

And without them there would be somebody else representing Scotland in Europe. Who's to say they would be worse?

9 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Lack of sectarian bile chanted at matches (Rangers would have nobody to hate.)

And without them there would be somebody else representing Scotland in Europe. Who's to say they would be worse?

There would still be elements of sectarian bile. It's naive in the extreme to pin it as a "West Coast" or "Only the OF" type problem.

Someone else would represent Scotland. I agree, but looking at the results from the last decade or two, beyond a couple of decent runs(Aberdeen and Hearts have had one passable run in the UEFA/EL) there is absolutely nothing that indicates they would come close to matching what Celtic have consistently achieved in Europe(Group stages of the Champions League approx 1 in every 2 years, Group stages in the Europa most of the rest of the time), let alone match what Rangers have managed this year. Rangers last year would be achievable for sure but I imagine winning 1 or 2 qualifying ties before going out would be the usual performance level for Scottish club, which is what it currently is.

4 hours ago, GordonD said:

But without Celtic hoovering up the best talent in Scottish football the quality of the other sides would be improved.

Instead, it would be left to Aberdeen to hoover it up, as they have done for the last 5 or so years. Instead of selling on to Celtic, they would sell on to England.

The economics of football is pretty much universal. In Scotland it’s simply more extreme. There are no guarantees whatsoever that getting rid of Celtic and Rangers would be a cure all for the game.

This is a great discussion and all, but I'm pretty sure Aberdeen supporters get into fights quite a lot on their travels whereas I never get the impression that opposition supporters from continental Europe are offended in any way by rebel tunes.  In fact, it seems to me like Celtic Park is quite a popular away trip and the atmosphere is a factor in that. 

I for one am pretty glad Aberdeen get dumped out of Europe before they get more chances to punch stewards and throw objects. If someone thinks I'm Irish because they are unfamiliar with either the concept of immigrants or of national identity not equaling club identity I am pleased that will dissociate me from their notoriously bad behaviour. 

9 hours ago, GordonD said:

The coefficient of everybody else in the group?

Sure Rosenborg are delighted with the boost they got from their one draw in four games with us this season.

Tomorrow night a bit of a worry though. Normally you’d expect the runaway group winners to put their feet up in this round of matches but Austria is another diddy league so they are miles ahead in the Bundesliga too. They’ll be going full strength and will be after 6 wins out of 6 I’d imagine. And if Rosenborg do us any kind of favour away to Leipzig I’d be astounded.

16 hours ago, The OP said:

Sure Rosenborg are delighted with the boost they got from their one draw in four games with us this season.

Tomorrow night a bit of a worry though. Normally you’d expect the runaway group winners to put their feet up in this round of matches but Austria is another diddy league so they are miles ahead in the Bundesliga too. They’ll be going full strength and will be after 6 wins out of 6 I’d imagine. And if Rosenborg do us any kind of favour away to Leipzig I’d be astounded.

Struggle to see a Celtic win but a draw isn't outwith the realms of possibility. RB will definitely fancy themselves as contenders for the Europa League and will go out to win, but I can see the players maybe letting off a little if there are any hefty challenges or physical battles. No one will want to risk being injured going into the second half of the season.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Struggle to see a Celtic win but a draw isn't outwith the realms of possibility. RB will definitely fancy themselves as contenders for the Europa League and will go out to win, but I can see the players maybe letting off a little if there are any hefty challenges or physical battles. No one will want to risk being injured going into the second half of the season.

Unlike at the darts

Archived