Celtic in Europe 2018-19, the long and winding road

senorsoupe

1 minute ago, The_Judge said:

Disagree hence appearances by Sinclair, Forrest, Hayes and Roberts as wingers during that period.

All of whom play as inverted wingers, cutting inside and allowing the full back to overlap.

2 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

Disagree and the fact that they've won domestic double trebles whilst playing in the CL group stages for the last two seasons suggests it either isn't true OR a huge number of teams have been unable to exploit it.

Plenty of teams have exploited the set up. Celtic concede a relatively large number of goals(I use the term relatively, in that Celtic don't concede many goals domestically) from teams who attack the full back areas after they have gone up the park. Hearts and AEK have both done it this season already.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

I beg to differ :) 

Brendan's glorious failure not even reported on the back pages of The Sun down here today.

Some cricket guy got off the hook, Spurs new ground not ready yet, pretty young sprinter lass has done stuff well, her future is bright, that's pretty much it.

Oh, wait a minute, maybe it's in the Goals center spread pull out......??

No. Carabao Cup last night. Villa beat Yeovil amongst others. Poor show another team in green and white hoops losing.  Ah well. A poor performance from Villa though, Steve Bruce not a happy chappy.

Maybe it never happened :eusa_think:

Of course it did :lol: 

There's a tiny bit about it in The Mirror sport pages about four pages in, tucked away in a corner. Headline stuff :lol: 

Whilst I thank you for reading the likes of the sun and the mirror for me tracksuitbob the main headline I saw on BBC football today was about Celtic.

I admit english papers have little coverage of the scottish game understandably but we are still a decent enough known name in Europe which includes England so its understandable we might be clicked on a bit even if the Sun or daily sport or whatever you like to read doesnt. 

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

Results are all that matter, sure, but if you can't understand my point while also accepting that then you probably don't understand football.

Celtic had more of the ball, created more chances, forced more saves and generally looked the better of the two sides. In both games that was the case.

AEK looked content to sit in and hit on the break, and look to have made a success of that approach for a while now going by results over the last few years, but they can count themselves lucky that Celtic were piss poor with their finishing and even worse with their defending.

I can understand your point, dont agree with it and never have done, celtic were more pish at the back and upfront than athens, therefore the athens team did their jobs better so deserved to go through

If we go by possession, chances but inevitably being pish at the back and pish up front as a marker of the better team, then Warburton deserved to win fucking everything at ibrox

Whilst I thank you for reading the likes of the sun and the mirror for me tracksuitbob the main headline I saw on BBC football today was about Celtic.
I admit english papers have little coverage of the scottish game understandably but we are still a decent enough known name in Europe which includes England so its understandable we might be clicked on a bit even if the Sun or daily sport or whatever you like to read doesnt. 
What's with your superior sounding sly digs at his choice of reading material?

16 years ago Celtic got knocked out the champions league qualifier by Basel,it was Martin O'Neil's 3rd season in charge,Celtic dropped into the UEFA cup now the Europa cup.
Celtic's first game was a team from Lithuania called suduva,Celtic pumped them 10-1 in aggregate, that year Celtic went on to get to the final in Seville. 
Hopefully a wee bit of history in the making. 

26 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

16 years ago Celtic got knocked out the champions league qualifier by Basel,it was Martin O'Neil's 3rd season in charge,Celtic dropped into the UEFA cup now the Europa cup.
Celtic's first game was a team from Lithuania called suduva,Celtic pumped them 10-1 in aggregate, that year Celtic went on to get to the final in Seville. 

You had Larsson and a bit of a defence back then.

Its not happening, WIlly.

Yeah, that history was already made. This future you are talking about is utter fucking fantasy.

Looking forward to your hilarious and inevitable exit followed by Brendans meltdown.

32 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah, that history was already made. This future you are talking about is utter fucking fantasy.

Looking forward to your hilarious and inevitable exit followed by Brendans meltdown.

If you think we’re going to exit to Suduva I reckon you’d get pretty good odds. If you think we’re going to exit at a later stage, so are 54 other teams.

Obviously we’re not going to go on a run like 2002/03 but I would stand by my last 32 prediction.

Archived