Celtic in Europe 2018-19, the long and winding road

senorsoupe

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Tbh I'm now interested in hearing more about this pretty young sprinter lass...

There was a member of the British 4x100m women's relay team who was an absolute smasher. Unfortunately she was not the breakout star who is destined for damehood. 

Rivalry only comes when teams play each other,i wish sevco all the best in Europe.

Celtic going out is delightful.
Then going through doesn’t help Scottish football, it merely widens the already huge gap.
That they don’t receive £millions to put them further ahead than everyone else is great.

3 hours ago, DanMc99 said:

people would do the same if it was rangers , and to a lesser extent hibs/hearts and aberdeen

Exactly. Everyone hates everyone just some to more or lesser extents. Some of the slagging is absolutely brilliant on here. As much as it hurt last night there were some top notch posts last night and today rightly ripping the piss out of Celtic. I actually came on here after the game to see them.

2 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

I beg to differ :) 

Brendan's glorious failure not even reported on the back pages of The Sun down here today.

Some cricket guy got off the hook, Spurs new ground not ready yet, pretty young sprinter lass has done stuff well, her future is bright, that's pretty much it.

Oh, wait a minute, maybe it's in the Goals center spread pull out......??

No. Carabao Cup last night. Villa beat Yeovil amongst others. Poor show another team in green and white hoops losing.  Ah well. A poor performance from Villa though, Steve Bruce not a happy chappy.

Maybe it never happened :eusa_think:

Of course it did :lol: 

There's a tiny bit about it in The Mirror sport pages about four pages in, tucked away in a corner. Headline stuff :lol: 

It's like the North Ireland version of P&B wanting one of their diddy clubs getting bodied by some Maltese outfit or something printed in the Daily Record.  Where in reality, about 41 people in Scotland care about the North Ireland league.

1 minute ago, jagfox99 said:

Who do Celtic get in the EL playoff? Is there a draw with the other CL dropouts?

Draw was before the last round. They play the winners of the Suduva v Spartaks Jurmala tie. Suduva won the first leg 1-0 in  Latvia.

5 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Second paragraph is bang on, and is the major flaw in the argument that this is all the board's fault, Rodgers has a track record here. I've never worked out whether it is an inability to recruit and organise a defence, or just a refusal to acknowledge that he needs to. He's had 3 summers to sort it and it's probably got worse each year. Their superiority in Scotland means they get away with it, but come up against any half decent European side (not even sure AEK are that) and they fall apart.

Ooft...total guff....until about two weeks ago it looked like Ajer and Boyata would be the pairing and that would very possibly have been sufficient...but a yellow card (suspension) and a fall out with an agent (desperate for commission) later...it was Simunovic and Hendry (a young Scottish player with a big future).....insufficient.

Just now, The_Judge said:

The kind of wild overreaction I'd normally expect from someone that was both raging and drunk. 

I'm both jovial and sober.

Lustig can do a decent job. He does one for Sweden. The problem is that Celtic have been playing their full backs pretty much as wingers since Deila was appointed 4 seasons back. Lustig has not got the pace to get up and down the park and do that job. He is caught out of position with balls in behind him far more often than a player with his experience should be. It's an obvious weak spot in the Celtic set up and it's no surprise that opponents target him more than anyone else in that side when it comes to building an attack.

9 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Lustig can do a decent job. He does one for Sweden.

Agreed.

The problem is that Celtic have been playing their full backs pretty much as wingers since Deila was appointed 4 seasons back.

Disagree hence appearances by Sinclair, Forrest, Hayes and Roberts as wingers during that period.

It's an obvious weak spot in the Celtic set up and it's no surprise that opponents target him more than anyone else in that side when it comes to building an attack.

Disagree and the fact that they've won domestic double trebles whilst playing in the CL group stages for the last two seasons suggests it either isn't true OR a huge number of teams have been unable to exploit it.

Archived