Celtic in Europe 2018-19, the long and winding road

senorsoupe

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The "at home" bit doesn't suggest you were referring to a scoreline over the two legs, as you have subsequently claimed.

I did admit to being a bit arrogant with the fly away comment and that was all it was. But some folk decided to take it a bit more seriously than the post merited. Didn't they?

9 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I’ve given you statistics to show that AEK have never been shit in Europe. Your original statement was nonsense and all the backtracking over date ranges and having a bad memory don’t change that. Celtic have never been at a stage where their fans should have been thinking they’d beat AEK by 5 or 6. Not now, not in the 80s or 90s that you’ve stated, and not even back in the late 60s when Celtic were at their very best.

It’s really quite simple, but feel free to continue having your wee huff about being called out for talking shite.

You have given me f**k all with your statistics other than taking my initial post and made the assumption that I was referring to Greek football as a whole. Why don't we actually look at AEK's European results from the specified time period I gave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_football_clubs_in_European_competitions

If you can point out AEK's excellent results from 1980 to 1992 showing they were a European powerhouse then I'll admit to being wrong. Other than one freak result against an East German side they have done f**k all of note during the time period I posted. AEK weren't exactly a good side during those years and rarely made it into Europe. Do me a favour and stop posting the other Greek sides records because by your logic Rangers, Hearts and St Johnstone must be good sides last year because Celtic made the group stages in the CL.

Why don't you admit to taking my post out of context eh? AEK Athens were shite once upon a time and were considered cannon fodder if you got them and there was once a chance a Scottish club could have pumped them stupid.

9 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

I did admit to being a bit arrogant with the fly away comment and that was all it was. But some folk decided to take it a bit more seriously than the post merited. Didn't they?

You have given me f**k all with your statistics other than taking my initial post and made the assumption that I was referring to Greek football as a whole. Why don't we actually look at AEK's European results from the specified time period I gave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_football_clubs_in_European_competitions

If you can point out AEK's excellent results from 1980 to 1992 showing they were a European powerhouse then I'll admit to being wrong. Other than one freak result against an East German side they have done f**k all of note during the time period I posted. AEK weren't exactly a good side during those years and rarely made it into Europe. Do me a favour and stop posting the other Greek sides records because by your logic Rangers, Hearts and St Johnstone must be good sides last year because Celtic made the group stages in the CL.

Why don't you admit to taking my post out of context eh? AEK Athens were shite once upon a time and were considered cannon fodder if you got them and there was once a chance a Scottish club could have pumped them stupid.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue (1).jpg

27 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

1st bold - Nobody ever said they were a European powerhouse. Now, then or ever.

2nd bold - You brought other Greek teams into it. Your first post defending the initial comment contained the words, "when Greek football was shit".

3rd bold -  This has basically been your argument from the start. My point back then a few pages ago was that it was wrong. I still think it's wrong now, and have demonstrated why I think this. You're obviously not going to acknowledge that your comment was ridiculous, so there's not much really more that can be said here.

5 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

1st bold - Nobody ever said they were a European powerhouse. Now, then or ever.

2nd bold - You brought other Greek teams into it. Your first post defending the initial comment contained the words, "when Greek football was shit".

3rd bold -  This has basically been your argument from the start. My point back then a few pages ago was that it was wrong. I still think it's wrong now, and have demonstrated why I think this. You're obviously not going to acknowledge that your comment was ridiculous, so there's not much really more that can be said here.

Dude, you made the assumption before even asking or inquiring what I meant by "the likes of" If you had asked then I'd have said why but you went ahead with the assumption I meant Greek football as a whole.

Lastly I have admitted to making a fly of the wall post that has escalated to this point. Absolutely my mistake for having an opinion on what myself had thought about how shite I thought AEK were at a particular time period.

I still believe as I had thought many years back, might be arrogant of me in this time but it wasn't as far fetched back then that AEK were not as good as they are now.

It'd be nice if you just move on now and try to ignore my opinion in future.

My memory might not be the best as I was 10 at the time but were Rangers not embarrassed and ridiculed when they lost to AEK back in 94, having been expected to beat them comfortably? That defeat lead to the headline "Another Early Knockout".
The reaction to that result gave me the impression Rangers had lost to a minnow.

9 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

My memory might not be the best as I was 10 at the time but were Rangers not embarrassed and ridiculed when they lost to AEK back in 94, having been expected to beat them comfortably? That defeat lead to the headline "Another Early Knockout".
The reaction to that result gave me the impression Rangers had lost to a minnow.

Careful? You aren't allowed to post your thoughts in here. Could get you into a lot of bother with some chaps taking them quite literally as facts and then chew on it like a dog with a bone.

42 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

I think that Rangers suffered from “mid-table English Premiership team in the Europa Cup” levels of over-inflated arrogance about their European stature at the time.

21 minutes ago, The OP said:

I think that Rangers suffered from “mid-table English Premiership team in the Europa Cup” levels of over-inflated arrogance about their European stature at the time.

Have a look at this wee dizzy from Sir Walter of f**k f**k fuckity fucksake after Rangers getting papped oot by AEK Athens in 94. Absolute tremendous seethe from the dignified at being told Laudrup and the other top internationals were shite by Chick Dung. :lol:

Archived