Celtic in Europe 2018-19, the long and winding road

senorsoupe

Onto a Greek tragedy it is then. Shite game but then again I did expect a draw and possibly Rosenborg even winning this leg by a single goal.

Celtic need another striker and two defenders of note. The squad is showing lack of depth imo.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DAVIDB69

Job done but you would fear the worst if they got to the group stages. A few pick a number between 4 and 7 type hidings would seem likely

1 hour ago, FifeArab said:

Decent result for Celtic. AEK Athens will be tricky. If they get through them they’ll make the group stages (last round would be against: Young Boys, Qarabag, Red Star Belgrade and Malmo).

I’d have AEK as slight favourites, simply going by the fact PAOK gubbed Basel and Olympiacos are always seeded above us.

If we got through we could also face Videoton, BATE or Spartak Trnava depending on results against the above (but Young Boys will definitely be in the draw).

Also, draw is a day or two before the AEK first leg.

Celtic (SCO) v AEK Athens (GRE)
Salzburg (AUT) v Shkëndija (MKD)
Crvena zvezda (SRB) v Spartak Trnava (SVK)
Qarabağ (AZE) v BATE Borisov (BLR)
Astana (KAZ) v Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
Malmö (SWE) v Vidi (***)

ETA I copied and pasted this as I was wondering what would happen to Hungary's abbreviation. 

As expected,  country full of stars.  

11 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Celtic (SCO) v AEK Athens (GRE)
Salzburg (AUT) v Shkëndija (MKD)
Crvena zvezda (SRB) v Spartak Trnava (SVK)
Qarabağ (AZE) v BATE Borisov (BLR)
Astana (KAZ) v Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
Malmö (SWE) v Vidi (***)

ETA I copied and pasted this as I was wondering what would happen to Hungary's abbreviation. 

As expected,  country full of stars.  

What a load of old shite left in that bit of the draw. Proper cannon fodder for the big teams in the groups. 

9 hours ago, The OP said:

I’d have AEK as slight favourites, simply going by the fact PAOK gubbed Basel and Olympiacos are always seeded above us.

Basel are absolutely shite right now. Lost their 2 best players (Lang and Elyounoussi) which has left them with no organisation at the back and little threat in attack. I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish 3/4 in the league, unless they make a few huge signings before the transfer window shuts.

For those scoring at home, Crvena zvezda are better known as Red Star Belgrade lol. 

Looking at the potential playoff draws if Celtic beat AEK Athens there are a lot of potential tough trips, the aforementioned Red Star for one as well as Dinamo Zagreb and BATE are all really strong.  Knowing our luck it will be Astana (again)

5 hours ago, Birdman said:
5 hours ago, Marshmallo said:
Has it been confirmed that the game next week is Tuesday or the Wednesday? Hearing conflicting reports.

The email Celtic sent out said Wednesday.

I'm easy whether it's Tuesday or Wednesday. I just hope my ST holding friend can acquire me a ticket for the game. :)

9 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

For those scoring at home, Crvena zvezda are better known as Red Star Belgrade lol. 

Looking at the potential playoff draws if Celtic beat AEK Athens there are a lot of potential tough trips, the aforementioned Red Star for one as well as Dinamo Zagreb and BATE are all really strong.  Knowing our luck it will be Astana (again)

I think Astana has moved into the seeded side of the draw.

Seeded teams                   coef.              Unseeded teams                 coef.
------------------------ --- ----------------     ------------------------ --- ----------------
FC Salzburg *3           Aut  55.500              Garabag Agdam *          Azb  20.500
PSV Eindhoven            Ned  36.000              Young Boys               Sui  20.500
Celtic *                 Sco  31.000              Malmö FF *               Swe  14.000
FK Astana *              Kaz  21.750              Red Star Belgrade *      Srb  10.750

If it goes with the highest ranking.Would say AEK athens are better than the teams in the play-off round.

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 23:24, The OP said:

Agreed....although I had Osijek as favourites last night simply going by the fact that Croatia got to the World Cup final and Scotland didn't qualify.

5 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

Agreed....although I had Osijek as favourites last night simply going by the fact that Croatia got to the World Cup final and Scotland didn't qualify.

The thing about that theory is that none of the Croatia World Cup squad played for Osijek and only one played in the Croatian league and very few Rangers players play for Scotland.  My theory is flawed sure enough but I think it 's a bit more of a guide for how good the Greek champions will be. 

46 minutes ago, The OP said:

The thing about that theory is that none of the Croatia World Cup squad played for Osijek and only one played in the Croatian league and very few Rangers players play for Scotland.  My theory is flawed sure enough but I think it 's a bit more of a guide for how good the Greek champions will be. 

Not looking to discredit your theory.  People believe what they want to believe :angel.

1 hour ago, The_Judge said:

As pointed out, virtually none of that Croatian national team play their club football at home.

Their domestic league is not particularly strong, but nobody would criticise Croatia as a football nation.

That's why I'm not too fussy how our clubs perform in the rigged sideshow that is represented by the UEFA club competitions.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's why I'm not too fussy how our clubs perform in the rigged sideshow that is represented by the UEFA club competitions.

I don't lose any sleep over it but I much prefer it when Scottish teams win.

Archived