Celtic in Europe 2018-19, the long and winding road

senorsoupe

15 minutes ago, DavieCFC said:

Not gunna hold my breath but i hope our search for a CB is hastened after Simunovic's mare tonight.

4-0 up in the tie and he goes and does that and puts himself out the next 3 games (i would assume because its violent conduct correct?) and leaves us really short at the back if Boyata and Lustig are still unavailable. Fucking diddy :/

Going forward we look really good though, so i'm still pretty confident getting past Rosenborg shouldn't be much of an issue (I mean, they're 15 or so games plus into their season and they needed a very dubious penalty to get past a team from Iceland). Famous last words and all that......

I'm pretty annoyed at Simunovic for getting sent off stupidly, suddenly we are looking at next week Celtic's CB options are Hendry, Ajer, and Compper?  Unless Brendan either goes to a back 4 with one of Gamboa or Ralston on the right or brings Tierney into a back 3.  Not exactly filling me with confidence

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I'm pretty annoyed at Simunovic for getting sent off stupidly, suddenly we are looking at next week Celtic's CB options are Hendry, Ajer, and Compper?  Unless Brendan either goes to a back 4 with one of Gamboa or Ralston on the right or brings Tierney into a back 3.  Not exactly filling me with confidence

Apparently Compper is injured again. :lol:

Don’t see why Boyata needs so much time off. He only played the three group games and the last 2 were cakewalks against Tunisia and England.

1 hour ago, DavieCFC said:

4-0 up in the tie and he goes and does that and puts himself out the next 3 games (i would assume because its violent conduct correct?) and leaves us really short at the back if Boyata and Lustig are still unavailable. Fucking diddy :/

It would be serious foul play - violent conduct is when not challenging for the ball, although the ball was miles away so you never know. But I don't know the rules regarding suspensions, hopefully just the one game for SFP.

On 11/07/2018 at 11:11, The OP said:

Highlight of the game was the 'Cumbernauld Bhoys, Anti Nazi Pro Patsy' fleg. 

That's my mate's flag, him and his pals go to domestic away games on our bus, that's actually the second edition of that flag, his last one got pinched in Kazakhstan last year  :lol:

3 hours ago, KHVRN said:

Sure Lustig is back is he not? And im seeing that Brendan might recall Boyatta early if it comes to it, Though i have faith in a back 3 of Ajer, Hendry and Ralston

If it came to that Brendan would put Tierney in the back 3 along with Hendry and Ajer.  I would think Lustig is back training soon, Brendan had been willing to give World Cup players each a fortnight rest after the World cup and Sweden's last game was July 7, meaning Saturday would be two weeks

I dont like tierney in a back 3 though, not that hes incapable but we need him bombing up and down the part, suffocate his game keeping him back. and likelyhood is Rosenborg will play 3 up front, so that leaves far too much gaps at the back, too risky..

7 minutes ago, KHVRN said:

I dont like tierney in a back 3 though, not that hes incapable but we need him bombing up and down the part, suffocate his game keeping him back. and likelyhood is Rosenborg will play 3 up front, so that leaves far too much gaps at the back, too risky..

It's definitely not the best use of Celtic's resources to have Tierney in a back 3 but if Celtic are going to play a back 3 it's a significantly better option than Ralston.  Hopefully Lustig will be ready though

Boyata will deffo start next weak after Sumo got himself sent off. Brendan will try to keep the same shape and tactics to get the team to gel quicker at the start of the season imo.

Archived