Celtic in Europe 2018-19, the long and winding road

senorsoupe

With the Champions League format changes, Celtic will face four qualifying rounds to earn the opportunity to be demolished in the Champions League group stages.  The bhoys are confirmed to be seeded for the first qualifying round, having the second highest coefficient (31.00) of the teams confirmed thus far. 

Shall be interesting to see the draw

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I looked at Bert Kassies' site the other day and it seemed to me to be saying that Celtic are guaranteed to be seeded in every qualifying round except for the last one where they either need Slavia Prague to make an unlikely late surge to win the Czech league ahead of Viktoria Zizkov or hope that one of the teams with a higher coefficient (Salzburg, Ludogorets, PSV at time of writing) get knocked out before that point. 

I'm fairly confident in Celtic's ability to get to the playoff round, but that playoff will be much tougher than the last two years.  In saying that, I would still fancy Celtic to have a decent chance to beat a team like a PSV or a Salzburg

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Progrès Niederkorn please.

1486524603_giraffe-eating-popcorn.gif

That is unlikely seeing as Progres are 5 points behind Dudelange with two games to go (and a much inferior goal difference).  I think it would be much more likely (and much more amusing) if Hibs drew Progres and defeated them comfortably

2 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I looked at Bert Kassies' site the other day and it seemed to me to be saying that Celtic are guaranteed to be seeded in every qualifying round except for the last one where they either need Slavia Prague to make an unlikely late surge to win the Czech league ahead of Viktoria Zizkov or hope that one of the teams with a higher coefficient (Salzburg, Ludogorets, PSV at time of writing) get knocked out before that point. 

I think that if Liverpool get into the UCL group stage via their league position, the next country in the list (Czech Republic) moves up and Plzen go into the group stage automatically. Therefore only 3 seeds remain above Celtic so they will be seeded in all rounds.

Saying that, seeding isn't everything - in QR3 last year Ludogorets, Salzburg, Legia Warsaw and BATE Borisov were all knocked out by unseeded teams.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DAVIDB69

Looking at the seedings for the group stages next seasons, potential group opponents if they get get there as a bottom seed look horrendous .

A few pastings and -20 goal difference look likely

34 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Looking at the seedings for the group stages next seasons, potential group opponents if they get get there as a bottom seed look horrendous .

Glorious.

6 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

They have a world class manager and hundreds of £millions worth of players, including the world's greatest full back.

They'll romp it.

Nothing really to say at this early stage. Just getting the thread on my timeline for when the absolute houndings begin.

f**k the coefficient btw

Edit just thought of a question....

Can we clarify early on this time whether European defeats count in terms of invincibleness? Its just that there seemed to be a bit of a stramge anomaly onnthat last season.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Nothing really to say at this early stage. Just getting the thread on my timeline for when the absolute houndings begin.

f**k the coefficient btw

Edit just thought of a question....

Can we clarify early on this time whether European defeats count in terms of invincibleness? Its just that there seemed to be a bit of a stramge anomaly onnthat last season.

I’ve checked and Arsenal’s Invincibles lost 3 times in the 2003-04 Champions League, so no.

And once in the FA Cup and twice in the league cup.

Seeded teams                   coef.              Unseeded teams                 coef.
------------------------ --- ----------------     ------------------------ --- ----------------
Ludogorets Razgrad       Bul  37.000              Shkendija Tetovo         Mac   3.500
Celtic                   Sco  31.000              Olimpija Ljubljana       Slo   2.900
APOEL Nicosia            Cyp  27.000              F91 Dudelange            Lux   3.500
Legia Warsaw             Pol  24.500              Spartak Trnava           Svk   3.500
FK Astana                Kaz  21.750              Valletta FC              Mlt   3.250
Garabag Agdam            Azb  20.500              Víkingur                 Far   3.000
Sheriff Tiraspol         Mol  14.750              Crusaders Belfast        Nir   3.000
Malmö FF                 Swe  14.000              FC Santa Coloma *p       And   2.750
Red Star Belgrade        Srb  10.750              Alashkert FC             Arm   2.500
Hapoel Beer-Sheva        Isr  10.000              Sutjeska Niksic          Mon   2.500
Rosenborg BK             Nor   9.000              Suduva Marijampole       Lit   2.000
HJK Helsinki             Fin   8.000              Cork City                Irl   1.750
The New Saints           Wal   5.000              Spartaks Jurmala         Lat   1.750
Videoton Fehérvár        ***   4.250              Valur Reykjavik          Isl   1.650
FK Kukësi                Alb   4.250              Flora Tallinn            Est   1.250
Zrinjski Mostar          Bos   3.750              Torpedo Kutaisi          Geo   1.000

The draw is on the 19th june

The 4 teams in the Preliminary round are confirmed, here are the coefficients, 1 of these 4 will make it into the first qualifying round proper

Santa Coloma - AND 2.750

Lincoln Red Imps - GIB 2.750

La Fiorita - SNM 1.750

Drita - KVX - 0.000

Semi-final June 26th, final June 29th

Archived