Promoting west region

sctv

Yip, start with Fixtures and work from there, our next two league games have no license as we didn’t have 14 days notice. How the fixtures in May can’t be sorted I’ve no idea, anyway, cost to the club £4k plus crowds will be down probably 50-100 per match , so about a £6k loss, which comes right off the upgrading budget. 

Thats why clubs can’t afford youth teams and floodlights, their own association is killing them

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've said on here before  that the issue isn't so much that of getting kids to come to games - you can hand out as many free tickets as you like, but there'll be minimal takeup and no actual new fans made. Virtually every team has tried it with approaching zero success at some point.
The real black hole in most junior supports are the 20-40 age range, and they're the ones to target, as so many of them have just got out of the habit of actually going to games and instead largely get their fix from the EPL on TV. Social media definitely is invaluable in getting this age group engaged.
Likewise committee members. In an ideal world there would be a wider age range represented, but the reality of the situation is that your average young adult quite simply has other fish to fry in their spare time, and is unlikely to step up to the plate...the demographic is always going to be skewed towards middle-aged and older.

Spot on.Ive been there with unconditional free entry for under 16s.We tried giving out Easter eggs,we had a committee member dress up as Santa Claus handing out selection boxes,both times the committee were sick of the sight of chocolate afterwards.Both were well publicised with virtually zero return over a couple of seasons.We even tried handing out packets of free panini stickers,Mind you I had a belter of a collection afterwards.
The undoubted biggest success was the introduction of the ahem....”hospitality” hut.Going back to the 20-50 age group,I found once you got one in through the gate,you’d get a minimum of £20 off them.

It is refreshing to see someone at the top ask everyone else for ideas. Personally I'd like to see:

- The Scottish played early-mid September, October, November, then no Scottish games until mid-late February (I realise this needs SJFA approval and discussion with all regions. 

- Have a date set for each Cup final, so for an example this season could have been the West final could be the 9th of June at Newlandsfield, the Central final is the 13th of June at Cambuslang, the Ayrshire final on the 13th at Meadow Park and the ET final at Benburb on the 16th. Sectional final an October Sunday at a large neutral ground. 

- Midweek league fixtures in August. 

- By doing the above you plan the season around the cups and the league fixtures fall into place around them. Play two rounds of the west minimum before Christmas.

- More interaction over P&B and Twitter would be excellent. Regularly ask fans for feedback. Even a feedback survey once a season that any junior supporter can participate in would be great. 

- Start the season with big games, advertise it as a derby weekend. Pollok v Arthurlie, Talbot v Cumnock, Beith v Kilbirnie and drum up local interest day one. 

- Choose one Scottish game per round to cover and put on an SJFA youtube channel. Focus advertising on that.

- Friday/Sunday games. One each a week if possible. A big tie, attract the neutrals. 

- Focus advertising on the great product that we have, particularly in the west. There won't be a more competitive league in Scotland next season than the 16team west premier. Use this. 

- Get fans of all ages involved with the Scottish final, particularly as it's usually two west teams. Drum up local interest, a small portion of free tickets available on social media competitions, award local people with hospitality at the final. 

1 hour ago, PRICEY said:

Spot on.Ive been there with unconditional free entry for under 16s.We tried giving out Easter eggs,we had a committee member dress up as Santa Claus handing out selection boxes,both times the committee were sick of the sight of chocolate afterwards.Both were well publicised with virtually zero return over a couple of seasons.We even tried handing out packets of free panini stickers,Mind you I had a belter of a collection afterwards.
The undoubted biggest success was the introduction of the ahem....”hospitality” hut.Going back to the 20-50 age group,I found once you got one in through the gate,you’d get a minimum of £20 off them.

Exactly - primary school kids, if a few show up, don't generally have the attention span to stand and watch a game for 90 minutes. They get bored and look for diversion otherwise which more often than not is to the annoyance of the people who paid in and are trying to watch the game. Secondary school kids don't show up, period.

At some point someone on the committee of most clubs has come up with a similar idea and thought it was some radical blue-sky thinking - I'd love to hear of any anecdotal schemes clubs have tried where it's worked out, but I suspect there aren't any...

But yeah, the younger adult age group are the ones that clubs need to focus on, as you say not least for the fact they're also the most likely to put their hands in their pocket.

Yes but the approach taken by handing out free tickets for under 18s isn't about (or shouldn't be about) the next couple of seasons. That's why short term-ism, as a thought process, doesn't work. 

For example, my local senior club handed out free tickets to all the local schools for years, from primary one through to primary seven (many years ago) ..... Now I chose not to take up these tickets, but a number of my friends did. Fast forward 25 years, give or take ;-), and I was watching their game on alba the other evening - guess who was on TV?..... Yep that group of friends, in their 30s, still attending the games..... 

The point of these things isn't for the next couple of seasons to get another 10 people spending 20 quid a time (that's why it hasn't worked), the point is to get a percentage 'on the hook' and attending, probably a minority, but to get them to continue attending for the next 25 years onwards as opposed to spending 20quid in hospitality for 6 months..... The longevity of support weighed against 6 months income from hospitality is what should be considered in such circumstances, a business plan for the long term so to speak..... Not handing out chocolate or dressing up as santa (which should still happen as they are fantastic gestures by the way). 

I missed the changes that are a foot.

But in the absence of that detail we need to know what we are promoting, a part of the pyramid or an alternative?

I'd suggest clubs electing not to join go for a "summer season" . Reduced numbers might make it work in a shorter season.

Within the pyramid it probably needs professional input. Proper structure and fixtures, as already mentioned. If clubs access funding and improve facilities, they can honestly promote an enjoyable day out.

Get on the Isthmian, Southern or NPL sites, they are professionally produced and every game looks attractive.

2 hours ago, the rambler said:

Agree with you. Out of interest why don't Buffs apply for a license, you have premises, rather than Occasional Licenses for every game?

Don’t have proper foundations for the bar, can only get occasionally licenses that require 14 days notice 

Also any marketing depends on the product..... For example, I don't think that I'd take my kids to a junior game.... Too much bad behaviour, too much horrendous language, so to get a new generation (which is what the game needs to survive) a change in approach is required. That starts from within the club and manoeuvres to the fans. The way in which the junior grade has been for years both on an off the park will have to move with the times. (and I was one of the main culprits of this both as a player and a fan by the way - so also including me in this!) 

If clubs are community oriented then they will have to back that with their conduct and the conduct of their fans.... Down to simple things like changing the language used on the park and at the sidelines, challenging those who don't comply. 

Then comes the actual football, the style and marketability of the on park stuff.... One question to ask would be.... Would I pay to watch this? Junior had long been associate dwith the hardest working more physical side will win approach.... Now that isn't true in all cases but most teams still play in thus manner.... That isn't going to attract more fans, particularly those aged between 5 and 35 who have been coached for their lifespan that football is played on the deck.... Again not in all cases but in the majority of them, football coaching has evolved and so much adult junior level if it us to retain any marketability.... To simply bash on because that's what we have always done, on and off the park, isn't an option to secure any longevity...... Particularly under the current set of circumstances.... For me anyway..... Certainly open to other views though.... Not everyone thinks like me :-) 

On 11/05/2018 at 11:31, sctv said:

Ok guys, we all know the problems and have various ideas on how we fix them but leaving that aside I’m looking for ideas on how we promote the product we do have in the west region.
So if you could start afresh how would you do it?
Regular fixed fixtures will help us try to attract new supporters or help to bring back others.
Should we be going live with cup draws?
A specific YouTube channel for junior football or try to get something with Peter Martin and roughie?
A connection and promotion of a charity within the juniors , mental health or men’s cancer awareness etc
And end of season black tie event to celebrate our winners and recognise our volunteers?
A better social media presence ?
Anything else?

Hey Alex, hope you're well.

There's a ton we can do, just finding the time is the biggest issue.

I'd like the West Region or the SJFA to have a central store for all things media.  A place for clubs to upload and download all types of media to aid in pulling together match day graphics, programmes etc.  We've (St Anthony's) worked hard to produce engaging media, but it's not always possible  due to time or content.

I'm a fan of how US Sports work, organisations like the NFL and NBA take a large hand in what the franchises do.  The NBA for example have one central site (NBA.com) where every franchise has it's own space, ie nba.com/heat for the Miami Heat.  The main page holds headlines, team stores and links to individual clubs.

High mark to reach, but you get the idea.  Appreciate the the West Region world is quite different, the basics are there though.  A central website, helping promote the clubs and give them all a place to build their own personalised space.  Easy to edit, update and maintain.

Guidelines and help on Social Media use would be useful too.

The things mentioned around fixtures would obviously play a part in this.  Here's a list of things I think would help...

Centralised Website

Youtube Channel embedded within the West Website

Media store for every club official to freely access

Accurate Squad lists

An SJFA/West Region app, something simple, with club info, player info and a platform to have instant score updates as they happen.

It's good to see the Fixture Secretary job advertised, I firmly believe that there needs to be a Media Team also.

This forum is probably packed with people with skills, for example, my friend and fellow Ants colleague STAnts1902 is a Web Developer who could do cool stuff if asked (and has the time).

Some ideas, maybe there needs to be a forum on this stuff, some brain storming maybe with people who can make decisions.

Anyway, some things that might be worth thinking about.

Cheers

On 11/05/2018 at 17:44, griffiti on the wall said:

Absolutely some clubs would need some help in this regard we are lucky that we have one of the best in business who does it for free cos he is fan but obviously not all clubs would have someone with the skills set required and someone who does it for free.
Quick mention also to thorniewood it was like sky sports down there on Wednesday absolutely fantastic work by the boy who does there games and really if this is to be a goer then I suggest Alex takes the time to speak to these guys and get feedback from them

Agreed.  Would be brilliant to have a wee video club profile from the folks involved at each club.

What about getting in touch with universities and trying to get students to film a big match every week but get the full work commentary summarising etc. Sure it would help them and in turn would help us

If I was asked to do something like this i’d expect to be paid for my time unless I was a fan of the club, students mostly work weekends so I cant see this being too successful.

42 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If I was asked to do something like this i’d expect to be paid for my time unless I was a fan of the club, students mostly work weekends so I cant see this being too successful.

Yeah, I agree.  Would have to be paid.

Archived