Promoting west region

sctv

Ok guys, we all know the problems and have various ideas on how we fix them but leaving that aside I’m looking for ideas on how we promote the product we do have in the west region.
So if you could start afresh how would you do it?
Regular fixed fixtures will help us try to attract new supporters or help to bring back others.
Should we be going live with cup draws?
A specific YouTube channel for junior football or try to get something with Peter Martin and roughie?
A connection and promotion of a charity within the juniors , mental health or men’s cancer awareness etc
And end of season black tie event to celebrate our winners and recognise our volunteers?
A better social media presence ?
Anything else?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first and main problem lies within that management committee. So if you don't solve that, page after page of suggestions will just be a complete waste of time. If the suggestions don't come from the Ayatollah and his henchmen they will never amount to anything.

Let’s see if we can make a difference

As I’ve asked let’s not turn it into a slanging or blaming match, changes are afoot so I’m asking if you had to chance to mould the west region as a fresh start how would you do it

Am I missing something here but the fresh start is season after next when you lot enter the pyramid and become Seniors or a new West of Scotland League is formed and yer big clubs leave to join it.  Great ideas, but park them for a season an see what happens.

Simple things to start of with -

4x 16 leagues (or 3x16, 1x15 as it will be next season)

Two Up, two down automatically. Play off between third top and third bottom

Junior Cup - first round first weekend in September, 2nd round 1st weekend in October, 3rd round last weekend in October, Rounds then played from March onwards

Aside from the 2nd round weekend all clubs will have fixtures issued to them for the same weekend as Cup fixtures.

One regional Cup (Old Ayrshire and Old Central Leagues) - straight knockout basis

No Evening Times Cup

Fixture list issued the first week in July to list all games up until December 31st.

1st November - fixture list issued for the remainder of the season, with notice that postponed fixtures will be slotted into the earliest midweek.

All competitions to be completed by May 31st - with the last Saturday in May being the cut off date.

Clubs will have fixtures issued on a  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA basis (Home and Away!), swaps only allowed if the pitch is unplayable.

If a club has floodlights then not playing under them isn't an option.

Clubs not allowed to request a week off.

No weeks off for things such as "September weekend or Scottish Grand National"

All postponed games will be checked by an SJFA or SFA official - I want proof of burst pipes.

All clubs unable to fulfil a fixture to be automatically docked 25 points.

A regularly updated social media strategy to be implemented by all clubs.

All top 2 division teams required to produce video highlights of their home games.

I meant 1 cup per old Ayrshire and Central regions and that's it. As all of the leagues are going to be all in I suppose you could merge them into one West Cup and with 63 clubs the previous winners get a bye in round 1.

13 minutes ago, Jason King said:

I meant 1 cup per old Ayrshire and Central regions and that's it. As all of the leagues are going to be all in I suppose you could merge them into one West Cup and with 63 clubs the previous winners get a bye in round 1.

I'd go the opposite but it's just my preference. Not sure the 'all in' leagues will last!

Let’s see if we can make a difference
As I’ve asked let’s not turn it into a slanging or blaming match, changes are afoot so I’m asking if you had to chance to mould the west region as a fresh start how would you do it

"Changes are afoot"
Well why don't you tell us what those changes are first of all.
No point in us putting forward suggestions if you're already got plans in the pipeline.
Are these "changes" already passed? Or is it just things you hope will come to be?
It would be interesting to see just what that management committee does, or is it there to rubber stamp his Holiness's proclamations?

"Changes are afoot"
Well why don't you tell us what those changes are first of all.
No point in us putting forward suggestions if you're already got plans in the pipeline.
Are these "changes" already passed? Or is it just things you hope will come to be?
It would be interesting to see just what that management committee does, or is it there to rubber stamp his Holiness's proclamations?

Here we go again, I’ve asked for nor no slagging etc but you can’t help yourself, as with all plans they will come to pass when the time for that is so. It’s not hard I’ve asked how we can promote the region, how do we get fans back , how do we entice new fans. Instead you just want to attack.
There are many things wrong in the junior game this is another.

For the record and anyone who knows me will vouch, I’m not a yes man, I’m forward thinking and try new stuff, I don’t take no for an answer and I’m certainly not a sheep.
Also “his holiness” before I joined the management this year I’d heard many many horror stories about him, I voted for kennie last year, now much as I’ve had my arguments, more than a few I also see some of the good but this topic is not about any individual, I’ve given you a number of my ideas in the opening post, my ideas only not been discussed with any other on the management committee so put that to bed.
There’s been no comment from you on wether they have merit or not.
Now please let’s start again and see if we can bring something to the table to discuss. Now again I’m looking for positive discussion if your for it great if your not there’s a doom and gloom post elsewhere

Alex mcdowall

Need to make the running of the game slicker, it needs to move from a blazers type management style to a professional, transparent management style.
Clubs should be encouraged to invest in youth teams.
Playing midweek under floodlights etc is a must.
No cancellations for September weekends or sjfa international nonsense.
If clubs cancel games for stag do’s, ‘burst pipes’ or similar they should be papped out.
Taking a professional approach will in turn lead to sponsors etc finding the organisation an attractive prospect.
Immediately employ a business manager to explore all commercial opportunities and allow clubs access to them for advice and assistance in creating business plans/sponsorship letters/funding applications.
Full fixtures list with designated midweek dates for every fixture nov-feb.
No Scottish cup Nov-Feb, regionalise the first round.
Scrap the sectional cup or make it simple knock out.
Play midweek in August.
Better social media engagement with cup draws etc.
Do more to court media, youtube channel with each club encourage to contribute content.

The west super league is a tremendous league - one of the most competitive leagues going. However due to junior footballs obsession with cups big and small it hardly gets a look in. I think all the cups in the west region should be binned except the west itself. I think the Scottish Junior Cup needs a major rethink to reduce the impact it has on league fixtures also.

Archived