Kieran Tierney

On 16/02/2020 at 22:47, Bishop Briggs said:

Tierney would not get in the top 10 of EPL left backs atm. He'll be very lucky to get a place on Arsenal's bench next season. A loan to a Championship team is more likely.

Hahahaha.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Just a selection of the absolutely terrible takes from the first two years of this thread.

Not having this. Some of the quotes were more than reasonable at the time. Tierney had stagnated at Celtic and was also injured, apparently chronically. 

Also, we've now got a cracking few players in the squad and Tierney put in fantastic performances in the last few games. Using it as an opportunity for a GIRUY is poor form.

19 minutes ago, velo army said:

Not having this. Some of the quotes were more than reasonable at the time. Tierney had stagnated at Celtic and was also injured, apparently chronically. 

Also, we've now got a cracking few players in the squad and Tierney put in fantastic performances in the last few games. Using it as an opportunity for a GIRUY is poor form.

No they weren't if you'd actually seen Tierney play and aren't an idiot. 

We'd all seen Tierney play many times.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Just a selection of the absolutely terrible takes from the first two years of this thread.

I said he'd be 3rd choice if Arsenal signed someone else. I don't think that was an unrealistic statement. He's done amazingly well and applied himself brilliantly.

I questioned KTs commitment to Scotland in the past and I'll put my hands up and admit I was completely wrong, and I'm completely happy to be wrong on this one.

It's still a bit sad bringing tweets up from years ago to prove some kind of point. Kudos to you if you can sleep a bit easier tonight

1 minute ago, the snudge said:

I said he'd be 3rd choice if Arsenal signed someone else. I don't think that was an unrealistic statement. He's done amazingly well and applied himself brilliantly.

I questioned KTs commitment to Scotland in the past and I'll put my hands up and admit I was completely wrong, and I'm completely happy to be wrong on this one.

It's still a bit sad bringing tweets up from years ago to prove some kind of point. Kudos to you if you can sleep a bit easier tonight

If they signed who Roberto Carlos?  

It patently was a ridiculous statement. He was signed as their first choice, has always been their first choice, and is now the best player at the club. 

30 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

If they signed who Roberto Carlos?  

It patently was a ridiculous statement. He was signed as their first choice, has always been their first choice, and is now the best player at the club. 

At that point, January 2020, I'm pretty sure he was injured and Arsenal were linked with signing Kurzawa. Alot of people were wondering if he was a crock. I was wrong and as I said quite happy to be but my statement wasn't that awful that it needs to brought up 15 months later.

Anyway, KT, something special and long may it continue

Just now, the snudge said:

At that point, January 2020, I'm pretty sure he was injured and Arsenal were linked with signing Kurzawa. Alot of people were wondering if he was a crock. I was wrong and as I said quite happy to be but my statement wasn't that awful that it needs to brought up 15 months later.

Tbf, I think saying he was going to be 3rd choice at arsenal was a ridiculous statement at any point.

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

That's just because some journalists are as daft as many fans, and also because they have to sell papers.

And a lot of people are idiots, he's never been a crock he was just injured. That happens to footballers. 

Since Tierney made his debut and Izaguirre was waxing lyrical about him saying he had no problem losing his place to a guy who had just turned 18 cause he was brilliant, and since he got MOTM against Man City at 19, its been patently obvious Tierney was going right to the top.

35 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

That's just because some journalists are as daft as many fans, and also because they have to sell papers.

And a lot of people are idiots, he's never been a crock he was just injured. That happens to footballers. 

Since Tierney made his debut and Izaguirre was waxing lyrical about him saying he had no problem losing his place to a guy who had just turned 18 cause he was brilliant, and since he got MOTM against Man City at 19, its been patently obvious Tierney was going right to the top.

You can see why he might have been seen as an injury liability. Aged 22 at that point and problem hip. I'm glad he's recovered and proving folk wrong.

Screenshot_20210401-204325_DuckDuckGo.jpg

21 minutes ago, the snudge said:

You can see why he might have been seen as an injury liability. Aged 22 at that point and problem hip. I'm glad he's recovered and proving folk wrong.

Screenshot_20210401-204325_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Also 200 games under his belt, so you can see why he wouldn't. All players have regular injuries, that isn't a lot. Hazard has had 50 in less than two years. Fifty separate injuries.  

Celtic nearly ruined him by playing him for months when he needed an operation. His quality was always there to see and he was always destined for the top. If Scotland can get a keeper and a striker of high standard then expect very good things to follow. 

Edited by woof!

This thing about 'it was a fair call to make at the time' reminds me of when a former Secretary of State for Northern Ireland admitted that, early in her time in post, she hadn't realised that Northern Irish political parties only campaign in their own communities.

She thought this was the kind of oversight that anyone could make, rather than a sign of someone whose judgement was obviously deeply suspect.

Edited by GordonS

31 minutes ago, GordonS said:

This think about 'it was a fair call to make at the time' reminds me of when a former Secretary of State for Northern Ireland admitted that, early in her time in post, she hadn't realised that Northern Irish political parties only campaign in their own communities.

She thought this was the kind of oversight that anyone could make, rather than a sign of someone whose judgement was obviously deeply suspect.

Or the government minister I can't remember who recently who was assigned to the Brexit taskforce and came out with a statement saying they had never realised how dependent we are on the Channel crossing for trade. 

So stupid you'd think they were trolling the whole UK, but they were actually serious. They'd never considered the fact the point of entry to the biggest single market on earth was rather important to a small island in the North Atlantic.

18 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Or the government minister I can't remember who recently who was assigned to the Brexit taskforce and came out with a statement saying they had never realised how dependent we are on the Channel crossing for trade. 

So stupid you'd think they were trolling the whole UK, but they were actually serious. They'd never considered the fact the point of entry to the biggest single market on earth was rather important to a small island in the North Atlantic.

That was the Brexit Secretary, Dominic Raab, who said He hadn't understood how important Dover-Calais was.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Just now, GordonS said:

That was the Brexit Secretary, Dominic Raab, who said He hadn't understood how important Dover-Calais was.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

That's how tragic it is. These are the people taking us out of the EU, and they know less about it than your average jakie down the shops. How could you not understand how important that is? In a just world the entire UK government would be floated out to see and sunk. They're a danger to humanity. 

5 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

That's how tragic it is. These are the people taking us out of the EU, and they know less about it than your average jakie down the shops. How could you not understand how important that is? In a just world the entire UK government would be floated out to see and sunk. They're a danger to humanity. 

Getting back on topic... Tierney should be up against Andy Robertson tomorrow when Arsenal play Liverpool in the Scottish left-back derby. 

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Getting back on topic... Tierney should be up against Andy Robertson tomorrow when Arsenal play Liverpool in the Scottish left-back derby. 

Aye but opposite sides of the pitch. As it happens I genuinely think at LB Scotland are the best international side in the world. There's no way another country has two better than we do. 

If we had players in every position of the same quality we'd win the World Cup.