Kieran Tierney

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Tierney is quite possibly our best defender, so I don't see that playing him at centre-back is a waste at all. His only weakness defensively is his aerial ability, but having guys like Gallagher and McTominay alongside him lessen that. I think what we have to step away from is this notion that because he is playing centre-back he can't possibly also be involved in attacks. We've seen already that he and McTominay have plenty of freedom to step out into the middle of the park, or even further forward, in order to get involved in attacks.

Agreed. Forgetting aerial ability for a second, a bit of me actually feels there’s maybe even a case to be made that Tierney is also our best centre back, particularly in a central 3. In that set up, like you say it often allows for one of the three to bring the ball out from defence or push into midfield to help increase the numbers when attacking. Not the example I’d choose to use, but just from recent memory, Cresswell was doing this fairly well for West Ham recently.

Edited by 8MileBU

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Tierney is quite possibly our best defender, so I don't see that playing him at centre-back is a waste at all. His only weakness defensively is his aerial ability, but having guys like Gallagher and McTominay alongside him lessen that. I think what we have to step away from is this notion that because he is playing centre-back he can't possibly also be involved in attacks. We've seen already that he and McTominay have plenty of freedom to step out into the middle of the park, or even further forward, in order to get involved in attacks.

He is the perfect LCB in the formation and style Clarke has us playing.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

I disagree. Far better off at left back or in the middle of defence. As someone who mostly played those positions albeit at a far-far lower level than Tierney (obviously), as a left footer (no bigotry) there’s far more to being effective at right back than just being able to play the occasional good pass or having a decent shot off your weaker right foot. At right back your motion, movement and positioning goes all to f**k as well as slowing down play and fluidity at times.

At right back in the modern game I think we’d get a 50% Tierney as these days getting forward is typically a bigger part of playing that role. There are several historical examples of “wrong sided” full backs excelling in the role (i.e. Paolo Maldini, Denis Irwin off top of my head) but they’re mostly back in the days of defenders being defenders first and foremost. 

Good post, Maldini was also basically completely two-footed.  Also as I'm sure you agree defending on your wrong side more difficult less natural.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

I disagree. Far better off at left back or in the middle of defence. As someone who mostly played those positions albeit at a far-far lower level than Tierney (obviously), as a left footer (no bigotry) there’s far more to being effective at right back than just being able to play the occasional good pass or having a decent shot off your weaker right foot. At right back your motion, movement and positioning goes all to f**k as well as slowing down play and fluidity at times.

At right back in the modern game I think we’d get a 50% Tierney as these days getting forward is typically a bigger part of playing that role. There are several historical examples of “wrong sided” full backs excelling in the role (i.e. Paolo Maldini, Denis Irwin off top of my head) but they’re mostly back in the days of defenders being defenders first and foremost. 

This. Though I'm primarily a right-footed CM, I've often had to play right-back or centre-back, but play me left-back and I'm all over the place.

Just now, ArabFC said:

This. Though I'm primarily a right-footed CM, I've often had to play right-back or centre-back, but play me left-back and I'm all over the place.

32 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I've never seen either of you play, but I'm guessing Tierney is a better footballer that both of you. So I dont think your experiences will be comparable.

I dont think Tierney is in anyway bad at centre back. And agree there is times where he can indeed get forward. Which is a great weapon to have. Also his distribution from there is excellent. Same as Mctominay offers on the other side of defence.

I just think he's so good going forward, and his pace and fitness would be so much more an effective weapon for us.

We are so poor at right wing back, the difference he would make for us there would be massive.

We would of course miss him at left centre back tho.

37 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I've never seen either of you play, but I'm guessing Tierney is a better footballer that both of you. So I dont think your experiences will be comparable.

I dont think Tierney is in anyway bad at centre back. And agree there is times where he can indeed get forward. Which is a great weapon to have. Also his distribution from there is excellent. Same as Mctominay offers on the other side of defence.

I just think he's so good going forward, and his pace and fitness would be so much more an effective weapon for us.

We are so poor at right wing back, the difference he would make for us there would be massive.

Like an old Kieran Tierney tbh. 

46 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Kind of missing the point. It's not about how good you are, more that the difference between defending on your left and your right is far greater than some seem to think.

Just now, ArabFC said:

Kind of missing the point. It's not about how good you are, more that the difference between defending on your left and your right is far greater than some seem to think.

Not missing the point at all, Tierney has played on the right already. And did very well. Amazingly he was better that you at it.

3 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Maurice Malpas

(  and Doug Rougvie ? )

Maurice Malpas wasn t a good left full back ?

Edited by ewan14

3 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

It was a great right footed strike from the guy who would according to some would be unable to play on the right hand side. 

We have to get him on one side and Robertson on the other. He's wasted at centre back.

True , it was a great strike

Robertson will still be left wing back , where some say he is not as effective as left back for LFC

3 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

There are several historical examples of “wrong sided” full backs excelling in the role (i.e. Paolo Maldini, Denis Irwin off top of my head) but they’re mostly back in the days of defenders being defenders first and foremost. 

The young fella Williams at Man Utd who was playing on the left, is right footed.

2 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

We are so poor at right wing back, the difference HICKEY would make for us there would be 

ftfy

2 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Theres numerous examples of left footers at right back. Not as many lefties at right back. Probably due to there being less left footed players generally.

You muddled that up m8. Knew what you meant. Lefties at RB have been nearly non-existent. Been a good few righties at LB  though.

Sure yeah, ask him to play slightly higher and get forward more and he would suddenly forget everything he knows and turn into a gibbering wreck.
Our wing-backs are basically midfielders, not defenders. Their role on the pitch is a million miles away from that of a standard full-back, it's not a case of playing five yards further up the park or something like that.

Just now, craigkillie said:
1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:
Sure yeah, ask him to play slightly higher and get forward more and he would suddenly forget everything he knows and turn into a gibbering wreck.

Our wing-backs are basically midfielders, not defenders. Their role on the pitch is a million miles away from that of a standard full-back, it's not a case of playing five yards further up the park or something like that.

Do they play slightly higher and get forward more or not?

Yes, yes they do. Can as has Tierney played both roles on the left. Yes, yes he has.

Edited by BingMcCrosby