Kieran Tierney

Apparently the first Scottish player since Charlie Nic to score in the top flight for Arsenal! I was sure Dickov or Marshall had got at least one for them.

ETA: Lineker is talking shite - Dickov did score for them!

Match of the day Facebook page said he's the first Scot to score away from home for arsenal in the Premier league. Not the best stat admittedly.

4 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Match of the day Facebook page said he's the first Scot to score away from home for arsenal in the Premier league. Not the best stat admittedly.

First Scottish player to score for Arsenal since Charlie Nic according to Lineker on MOTD. Speaking of which, just watching it just now and Tierney’s goal was simply superb. West Brom’s defence laughable mind you.

3 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

First Scottish player to score for Arsenal since Charlie Nic according to Lineker on MOTD. Speaking of which, just watching it just now and Tierney’s goal was simply superb. West Brom’s defence laughable mind you.

Poor Paul Dickov must have been airbrushed.

20 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
23 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Paul Dickov says naw

19 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Poor Paul Dickov must have been airbrushed.

Paul Dickov was the guy who popped into my head when Lineker pop-quizzed Ian Wright about who the last Scottish player to score for Arsenal in the top flight was and they said Charlie Nic. 

Wasn’t sure if it was technically correct and Dickov’s Arsenal goals had maybe all been in cup games (?) but wasn’t that arsed about looking it up. 

ETA: Looked it up there - Turns out Lineker/Wright were wrong and Dickov got 3 league goals for Arsenal.

1A26534F-D86E-4C42-9692-3AD1E71FDAB5.jpeg

Edited by 8MileBU

Paul Dickov was the guy who popped into my head when Lineker pop-quizzed Ian Wright about who the last Scottish player to score for Arsenal in the top flight was and they said Charlie Nic. 
Wasn’t sure if it was technically correct and Dickov’s Arsenal goals had maybe all been in cup games (?) but wasn’t that arsed about looking it up.
Well I'm a pedantic twat. According to Soccerbase he scored 4 in the English top flight: https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=2044

And maybe even later (in 1996), Scott Marshall scored for them too: https://www.premierleague.com/players/10/Scott-Marshall/stats

ETA: Looked it up there - Turns out Lineker/Wright were wrong and Dickov got 3 league goals for Arsenal.
1A26534F-D86E-4C42-9692-3AD1E71FDAB5.jpeg.ec2e1d7a466367e298214ed557c2de5d.jpeg
I had the same initial thought that it might have been in "meaningless" cup games, but thinking about it that was probably tainted by the late-90s onwards disregard for the cups. Back in the early 90s both English cups definitely still felt quite special.

6 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
6 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

1A26534F-D86E-4C42-9692-3AD1E71FDAB5.jpeg.ec2e1d7a466367e298214ed557c2de5d.jpeg

I had the same initial thought that it might have been in "meaningless" cup games, but thinking about it that was probably tainted by the late-90s onwards disregard for the cups. Back in the early 90s both English cups definitely still felt quite special.

http://www.arseweb.com/95-96/reports/211195.html

Dickov's last goal for Arsenal

Edited by Gus Setsniffer

10 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

You know what one still gets me?  John Kennedy.

We haven't had a top class CB for decades, imo he was it.  Absolutely fantastic, just strolled through games at 20, and heavily linked with AC Milan, when AC Milan were still good.

Absolute silk on the ball too, never flustered, just wandered over like a benign dad regretfully taking sweets from a helpless little baby against some of the top strikers in Europe.

Career brutally ended by a guy who I feel must hold a unique love/hate position in Scottish football.  Ivor Ganea I believe he was called.  In a fucking friendly btw. Mental. But this was the guy, same guy, who on the one hand robbed us of one of our best prospects in the last 30 years, and on the other, scored the penalty that knocked England out of Euro 2000.

On balance I think I'd invite him in for a cup of tea, but would keep the good biscuits hidden.  Rich Tea for that c**t.

It was the lack of reaction at the time from the players that also infuriated me. It looked a shocking tackle and ir was a shocking tackle and after Ganea did it, I think Pressely perhaps sauntered over. No reaction from the players proportionate to a career threatening tackle which kind of I suppose summarised where we were as a team/squad under Vogt's. I think even Colin Cameron came out and defended his Wolves team-mate along the long suffering cliched lines of "he is not the type of player" FFS.....

7 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

1A26534F-D86E-4C42-9692-3AD1E71FDAB5.jpeg

aye I also thought Dickov when he said it. And then I also remembered that  there was a Scottish centre half at Arsenal in the early 90s. I can't recall his name but I do remember him scoring once in a league game for Arsenal. He wasn't very good and may not have been called up for any Scotland squads (he did play for the u21s though). 

in any case just shows the shoddy research on MotD. A researcher pulls together some clips to reinforce a point about a team not tracking back or not having men on posts at corners and put it to Shearer/Wright to project their masterful insight. The difference between teams playing well and those losing will often boil down to simple "confidence" and/or "determination"......

ETA - Scott Marshall !  bagged a league goal against Newcastle......

1769397148_Screenshot2021-01-03at08_30_59.png.02e958dc9e1c59418210646c473820fe.png

Edited by KingRocketman II

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

It was the lack of reaction at the time from the players that also infuriated me. It looked a shocking tackle and ir was a shocking tackle and after Ganea did it, I think Pressely perhaps sauntered over. No reaction from the players proportionate to a career threatening tackle which kind of I suppose summarised where we were as a team/squad under Vogt's. I think even Colin Cameron came out and defended his Wolves team-mate along the long suffering cliched lines of "he is not the type of player" FFS.....

Aye and he clearly was that type of player when you read what else he's done.  I don't want to watch it ever again but it was an assault not a football tackle.  

4 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

It was a great right footed strike from the guy who would according to some be unable to play on the right hand side. 

We have to get him on one side and Robertson on the other. He's wasted at centre back.

I disagree. Far better off at left back or in the middle of defence. As someone who mostly played those positions albeit at a far-far lower level than Tierney (obviously), as a left footer (no bigotry) there’s far more to being effective at right back than just being able to play the occasional good pass or having a decent shot off your weaker right foot. At right back your motion, movement and positioning goes all to f**k as well as slowing down play and fluidity at times.

At right back in the modern game I think we’d get a 50% Tierney as these days getting forward is typically a bigger part of playing that role. There are several historical examples of “wrong sided” full backs excelling in the role (i.e. Paolo Maldini, Denis Irwin off top of my head) but they’re mostly back in the days of defenders being defenders first and foremost. 

Tierney is quite possibly our best defender, so I don't see that playing him at centre-back is a waste at all. His only weakness defensively is his aerial ability, but having guys like Gallagher and McTominay alongside him lessen that. I think what we have to step away from is this notion that because he is playing centre-back he can't possibly also be involved in attacks. We've seen already that he and McTominay have plenty of freedom to step out into the middle of the park, or even further forward, in order to get involved in attacks.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Tierney is quite possibly our best defender, so I don't see that playing him at centre-back is a waste at all. His only weakness defensively is his aerial ability, but having guys like Gallagher and McTominay alongside him lessen that. I think what we have to step away from is this notion that because he is playing centre-back he can't possibly also be involved in attacks. We've seen already that he and McTominay have plenty of freedom to step out into the middle of the park, or even further forward, in order to get involved in attacks.

Agreed. He was doing it for Scotland in the last set of games, he does it for Arsenal and even from LB he has showed that he's not scared to move inside and attack through the middle, which is more what you might expect from him with Robertson on the outside of him as a LWB I suppose.