Kieran Tierney

1 hour ago, MeadowArab said:

I think a 3-5-2 would be worth trying. Robertson at LWB and Tierney at either LCB or RWB.

What's Ikechi Anya up to these days? He's only 31, and probably still an upgrade on O'Donnell.

Still at Derby and playing regularly. With 29 caps he'd be a welcome bit of experience and maybe still has that wee burst of pace that made him stand out when he first played for us.

Still at Derby and playing regularly. With 29 caps he'd be a welcome bit of experience and maybe still has that wee burst of pace that made him stand out when he first played for us.

He’s not played for them since early last season, Lampard bombed him into the U23’s where he rotted away last season.
Cocu had a look at him in pre season but he picked up an injury against Rangers and hasn’t been seen since.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

I assumed Anya disappeared in to oblivion. He's playing at a decent enough level and still getting games? Why is O'Donnell Starting ahead of him? He is an absolute minter of a player. 

1 minute ago, DAFC. said:

I assumed Anya disappeared in to oblivion. He's playing at a decent enough level and still getting games? Why is O'Donnell Starting ahead of him? He is an absolute minter of a player. 

He's not. As Rabinho said above he has barely played at all for the last two seasons at least. Lampard didn't fancy him and he's been injured pretty much all this season so far.

It's a shame as I always thought he at least gave Scotland a different option when he was involved. Guessing he must be on good wages at Derby as I can't understand why he seems ok to stay there when he seems a mile out of contention.

9 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

He's not. As Rabinho said above he has barely played at all for the last two seasons at least. Lampard didn't fancy him and he's been injured pretty much all this season so far.

It's a shame as I always thought he at least gave Scotland a different option when he was involved. Guessing he must be on good wages at Derby as I can't understand why he seems ok to stay there when he seems a mile out of contention.

Yes, that would make sense, given the fact he hasn't featured for Scotland. He would have been a much better option than O'Donnell. 

He’s on a decent wedge with them but if memory serves he’s also on some appearance related bonus which I think goes some way to explaining why Lampard binned him.

He’s not played for them since early last season, Lampard bombed him into the U23’s where he rotted away last season.

Cocu had a look at him in pre season but he picked up an injury against Rangers and hasn’t been seen since.

Whoops, I glanced at his socccerbase stats and assumed the most recent season he had played was this one. Ah well. Pity, as he was more than decent for us in several games - albeit more as a winger than in the games he was deployed as a RWB 

ETA you'd think Anya would have pressed for a loan move or for some way out. He never came across as the lazy 'sit back and take the wage' type. Even a loan to Hearts or someone, with Derby paying most of his wages, would be more beneficial to all parties than the current situation.

Actually I think I recall an attempt by Aberdeen to take him on loan during a recent transfer window

11 hours ago, IggyStooge said:

Have to agree with this.

David Robertson was the best full-back in the country for about six years... When he played on the same wing as Brian Laudrup.

He won three (3) [III] {shree} Scotland caps.

He was a phenomenal player but he spat the dummy when he wasn't guaranteed first choice in front of tosh mxkinlay and withdrew from.contention.  Could have had 70 caps, outstanding player.  McKinlay was good too tbf.

25 minutes ago, Kuro said:

He was a phenomenal player but he spat the dummy when he wasn't guaranteed first choice in front of tosh mxkinlay and withdrew from.contention.  Could have had 70 caps, outstanding player.  McKinlay was good too tbf.

There was quite a bit of dummy-spitting from the players of the dominant force in Scotland around that era. You still hear that breed of fan decry the lack of caps accrued while simultaneously demanding their players withdraw... But then they are somewhat confused, self-loathing arseholes.

PS: I'm still very much up for your shout of Clarke giving Tierney a try out in the middle a la the inspired Guardiola Lahm experiment.

Whoops, I glanced at his socccerbase stats and assumed the most recent season he had played was this one. Ah well. Pity, as he was more than decent for us in several games - albeit more as a winger than in the games he was deployed as a RWB  

ETA you'd think Anya would have pressed for a loan move or for some way out. He never came across as the lazy 'sit back and take the wage' type. Even a loan to Hearts or someone, with Derby paying most of his wages, would be more beneficial to all parties than the current situation.
Actually I think I recall an attempt by Aberdeen to take him on loan during a recent transfer window

Strange. Maybe he is over the hill and is just taking a wage. He doesn't seem the jobber type though.

He'd still be in the starting 11 of probably every Scottish premiership team.

3 minutes ago, MeadowArab said:

Strange. Maybe he is over the hill and is just taking a wage. He doesn't seem the jobber type though.

He'd still be in the starting 11 of probably every Scottish premiership team.

Really??

I was never a fan tbh, he had great pace and really played his heart out. Had some great moments for sure for Scotland.

Also gave the ball away regularly, couldn't hit a decent cross,was just generally lacking in quality. 

On 27/09/2019 at 09:34, bunglebonce said:

Full-backs known for their attacking play by accelarating into space rarely turn out to be good wingers, because they no longer have that space to move into unopposed.

Jonathan Wilson found.

You're spot on, of course.

On 03/10/2019 at 09:18, IggyStooge said:

Have to agree with this.

David Robertson was the best full-back in the country for about six years... When he played on the same wing as Brian Laudrup.

He won three (3) [III] {shree} Scotland caps.

I've never agreed with this consensus. David Robertson looked like a great full back while Tosh McKinlay looked like a troll, but I'd say McKinlay was the better left back, especially for the what Scotland needed. Looking at defending first, McKinlay was better. The who was more effective at taking the ball, improving the position, making the right choice and hitting the right cross or pass, IMO McKinlay was more effective.

Neither of them would get in the squad today, and there's not many positions you can say that about...

I only saw the highlights of last night's Arsenal game, but in those Tierney was on fire. He seemed to dominate Arsenal's attacking play in the first half, everything went down his side. He was close to unplayable at times. The fans love him, it would be very difficult for Emery to rotate him now.

Loving seeing him, Robertson and McGinn doing so well, we need to harness that energy for the play-off game(s).

13 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Jonathan Wilson found.

You're spot on, of course.

I've never agreed with this consensus. David Robertson looked like a great full back while Tosh McKinlay looked like a troll, but I'd say McKinlay was the better left back, especially for the what Scotland needed. Looking at defending first, McKinlay was better. The who was more effective at taking the ball, improving the position, making the right choice and hitting the right cross or pass, IMO McKinlay was more effective.

Neither of them would get in the squad today, and there's not many positions you can say that about...

They'd surely be in with a shout for right-back, left-wing or left centre-back in a three. 🧐

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I only saw the highlights of last night's Arsenal game, but in those Tierney was on fire. He seemed to dominate Arsenal's attacking play in the first half, everything went down his side. He was close to unplayable at times. The fans love him, it would be very difficult for Emery to rotate him now.

Loving seeing him, Robertson and McGinn doing so well, we need to harness that energy for the play-off game(s).

Mctominay too