Kieran Tierney

13 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
In what context? I remember him playing there vs the Netherlands in a back 4 and looking pretty solid?

He played LCB in a four after Souttar got sent off against Israel and did poorly.

Ah the own goal game. i forgot about that. Did we not play a 5 that night? Or did it shrink to a 4 after the sending off.

Thanks for reminding me how shit that games was! Still, I don't think we can bin the idea of Tierney at CB based on that sub performance, especially when the alternative CBs are so few and far between.

12 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Ah the own goal game. i forgot about that. Did we not play a 5 that night? Or did it shrink to a 4 after the sending off.

Thanks for reminding me how shit that games was! Still, I don't think we can bin the idea of Tierney at CB based on that sub performance, especially when the alternative CBs are so few and far between.

But that would give us too many left footed centre backs. As we all know, it's imperative to get the balance of left footed and right footed players correct at centre back, otherwise the players forget how to defend, or something.

Yeah, started with the five then moved to a four. I agree that we shouldn't do away with the idea though, and he did look decent there against the Netherlands.

I think a problem arises if/when Tierney starts outperforming Robertson in the Premier League. It would probably be unwise to play him out of position if he becomes our best player and Robertson isn't as versatile as him.

Yeah, started with the five then moved to a four. I agree that we shouldn't do away with the idea though, and he did look decent there against the Netherlands.

I think a problem arises if/when Tierney starts outperforming Robertson in the Premier League. It would probably be unwise to play him out of position if he becomes our best player and Robertson isn't as versatile as him.
There is the old argument about playing Robertson as a left winger or wing back. I don't agree with that at the moment, but if Tierney displaces him as LB it could be worth trying, especially after recent signals that playing LB for Scotland isn't really working for Robbo. If he could be freed up to steam into the opposition half and focus on crossing it might be the way to get the very best out of him and have an absolutely solid LB behind him

On 25/09/2019 at 20:13, Gordopolis said:

There is the old argument about playing Robertson as a left winger or wing back. I don't agree with that at the moment, but if Tierney displaces him as LB it could be worth trying, especially after recent signals that playing LB for Scotland isn't really working for Robbo. If he could be freed up to steam into the opposition half and focus on crossing it might be the way to get the very best out of him and have an absolutely solid LB behind him

Full-backs known for their attacking play by accelarating into space rarely turn out to be good wingers, because they no longer have that space to move into unopposed.

I seem to remember Tierney checking back onto his left foot a few times when he was playing right back vs Slovakia/Slovenia instead of hitting a cross. Having said that selecting a right back who can position himself properly while defending is the most important thing so he's more than capable doing that on either side.  

I think Tierney should play right back for the time being. If he can play competently there then it plugs the weakest position in our starting XI until we have someone decent available which hopefully could be Hickey but early days for him.

At centre back just having a settled partnership would be nice. Seems clear that injury permitting it will be McKenna + 1 so whether that's Bates, Souttar or Mulgrew I'd like to just see them get half a dozen games together with Robertson and Tierney either side and ideally a decent midfielder sitting in front and a reliable keeper behind. Doesn't sound like much to ask for does it?...could we maybe cobble it together...

12 hours ago, velo army said:

Awaiting the utter meltdown on here now that he has been pulled from the squad as a precaution.

"We take precautions because he has a small problem. Not important."

Can't see why any Scotland fan would bother their arse about that. Why should they?

On 27/09/2019 at 09:34, bunglebonce said:

Full-backs known for their attacking play by accelarating into space rarely turn out to be good wingers, because they no longer have that space to move into unopposed.

Have to agree with this.

David Robertson was the best full-back in the country for about six years... When he played on the same wing as Brian Laudrup.

He won three (3) [III] {shree} Scotland caps.

3 hours ago, IggyStooge said:

"We take precautions because he has a small problem. Not important."

Can't see why any Scotland fan would bother their arse about that. Why should they?

I think it helps that the games themselves are pretty much not important.  This window's just come too soon.  I'd expect, and want, him to be in for the next one, as it'll be the last chance to have the group together ahead of the playoffs.  If he starts growing the old Premier League "I don't feel too well" routine around games, people will have a point.  Until then, let's just get him fit, because he's really quite good.