Kieran Tierney

Deal looks dead in the water. Can't see him forcing a move for a few years as he does seem to be Celtic daft, but I'd be surprised if he's not disappointed. He'll know himself that he needs to move on to progress and there's no danger Arsenal would have pursued him for this long if he had no interest in it.

Another season of cringy pictures with a megaphone in front of The Green Brigade looks inevitable.

1 minute ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Both sides come out of this looking pretty bad.

Celtic for being so fussy about getting the £25M upfront, and Arsenal for not being able to afford it up front.

Celtic are quite right as far as I'm concerned.

The club don't need the money, the player is happy to stay, the English are drowning in money and there's a dearth of talent out there, as such it's a sellers market and if Arsenal or anyone else aren't prepared to pay a fair amount for a young, yet proven talent, then hell mend them..............

1 minute ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Both sides come out of this looking pretty bad.

Celtic for being so fussy about getting the £25M upfront, and Arsenal for not being able to afford it up front.

Paying up over instalments is extremely common, Celtic will be well aware of that. All Celtic have done here is prevent a player progressing his career. Celtic aren't in debt, they don't need to go out and make a £25M signing to replace Tierney or any other player in their squad. They are absolutely at it.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Celtic are quite right as far as I'm concerned.

The club don't need the money, the player is happy to stay, the English are drowning in money and there's a dearth of talent out there, as such it's a sellers market and if Arsenal or anyone else aren't prepared to pay a fair amount for a young, yet proven talent, then hell mend them..............

Arsenal are prepared to pay the money, just not all of it right now, which is what Celtic are demanding. If they don't need the money, why demand it up front? Because they knew fine well Arsenal wouldn't settle for it, and now the Green Brigade will suck their cock for "standing strong". If Celtic want to stifle the career of one of Scotlands brightest talents over receiving money now or in 12 months, they're nothing but fucking fannies.

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Paying up over instalments is extremely common, Celtic will be well aware of that. All Celtic have done here is prevent a player progressing his career. Celtic aren't in debt, they don't need to go out and make a £25M signing to replace Tierney or any other player in their squad. They are absolutely at it.

Arsenal are prepared to pay the money, just not all of it right now, which is what Celtic are demanding. If they don't need the money, why demand it up front? Because they knew fine well Arsenal wouldn't settle for it, and now the Green Brigade will suck their cock for "standing strong". If Celtic want to stifle the career of one of Scotlands brightest talents over receiving money now or in 12 months, they're nothing but fucking fannies.

If Arsenal want to lose out on such a talent for the sake of paying a few quid up front rather than instalments, then they'll be the dafties that end up paying similar if not more for an English league 1 diddy..........................

37 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If Arsenal want to lose out on such a talent for the sake of paying a few quid up front rather than instalments, then they'll be the dafties that end up paying similar if not more for an English league 1 diddy..........................

Arsenal now linked with Nicolas Tagliafico from Ajax. I highly doubt they'll be forced into paying £25M up front for an English League 1 diddy. Celtic and Tierney are the only ones losing out here.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Arsenal now linked with Nicolas Tagliafico from Ajax. I highly doubt they'll be forced into paying £25M up front for an English League 1 diddy. Celtic and Tierney are the only ones losing out here.

I watched that Wan Bissaka character being ripped to shreds by the Romanian U21 side and then stared in disbelief as Man Utd paid £50 million+ for him.

Add in that big haddy Harry Maguire for the reported £85 million and I can see why Celtic are quite correct in demanding £25 million up front............

1 minute ago, sjc said:

Was the issue not the £25m offer but that the figure was based on lots of improbable clauses being met?

Metro report stated that not enough was being paid up front.

Just now, WATTOO said:

I watched that Wan Bissaka character being ripped to shreds by the Romanian U21 side and then stared in disbelief as Man Utd paid £50 million+ for him.

Add in that big haddy Harry Maguire for the reported £85 million and I can see why Celtic are quite correct in demanding £25 million up front............

Neither of these deals have any relevance to Kieran Tierney. Wan-Bissaka and Maguire are both English and have proven themselves in the EPL, Tierney isn't either of those things.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Paying the full fee upfront is very unusual to be fair.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Neither of these deals have any relevance to Kieran Tierney. Wan-Bissaka and Maguire are both English and have proven themselves in the EPL, Tierney isn't either of those things.

Is 30-50% upfront not the norm? I can understand Celtic telling them to ram it if the final fee is based on winning trophies, goals etc. 

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Who cares, it's all academic and for the record I think Maguire is a big dumpling and the £85 million figure for a journeyman CH is outrageous.

Celtic have requested £25 million (which I believe he's worth in the current transfer market even if you don't) and if Arsenal aren't prepared to pay that sum then that's entirely up to them.

I believe that to be a huge penny piching mistake on their part, however I guess we'll never know..........

Given he is still recovering from an operation and had an underwhelming season due to various injuries, Another season with us is probably for the best. He will be 23 next summer and hopefully be in a better team place to move with more teams in for him potentially should he be totally injury free.

26 minutes ago, sjc said:

Paying the full fee upfront is very unusual to be fair.

Right, and when it does happen it's usually because the selling club have financial issues  (which Celtic do not) and results in a lower overall fee and fewer sell on clauses, and so forth.  

Celtic don't need the money, so aren't minded to sell.  Arsenal don't really need the player to the point of paying over the odds, so the deal isn't happening.  Napoli were likely agent talk.

This thread is weird. We've had folk suggesting that Tierney (still only 22) has ruined his career by staying at Celtic, folk suggesting (in spite of absolutely no evidence) that he never wants to leave Celtic, and now finally folk suggesting that Celtic are "at it" for rejecting an offer that doesn't meet their asking price.

Pretty sure he's going to be away in this window regardless. They've already signed his replacement and spent his fee.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This thread is weird. We've had folk suggesting that Tierney (still only 22) has ruined his career by staying at Celtic, folk suggesting (in spite of absolutely no evidence) that he never wants to leave Celtic, and now finally folk suggesting that Celtic are "at it" for rejecting an offer that doesn't meet their asking price.

Pretty sure he's going to be away in this window regardless. They've already signed his replacement and spent his fee.

Yeah we certainly don't spend 3 million on back up left backs to be fair. I would like to think this is us blooding him till Tierney goes away next year but Lawwell and Lennon have never really had that foresight with players before.  

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

People in having different opinions shocker. 

I agree the deal will go through, it was always going to once Celtic bought his replacement.

7 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Who cares, it's all academic and for the record I think Maguire is a big dumpling and the £85 million figure for a journeyman CH is outrageous.

Celtic have requested £25 million (which I believe he's worth in the current transfer market even if you don't) and if Arsenal aren't prepared to pay that sum then that's entirely up to them.

I believe that to be a huge penny piching mistake on their part, however I guess we'll never know..........

They are prepared to pay it, its how the payments are going to be structured that they disagree on.  Its extremely unusual for a fee to be paid in full up front, I would be surprised if Celtic have ever done that and also surprised if that is what Celtic are asking for.  They just want probably a little more up front and different conditions to trigger the next payments.  The deal will be done.