Kieran Tierney

Just now, dundeefc1783 said:

Didn't even get off the bench when Zinchenko was replaced.

He is surely considering is options by now.

Not only that, earlier in the game Xhaka comes off, arteta brings a young player new to the league Vieira on. He could have moved Zinchenko into midfield and brought Tierney on.

I've been trying to think the best, but its hard to imagine he's not finished at arsenal now.

10 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Not only that, earlier in the game Xhaka comes off, arteta brings a young player new to the league Vieira on. He could have moved Zinchenko into midfield and brought Tierney on.

I've been trying to think the best, but its hard to imagine he's not finished at arsenal now.

Agreed I also thought he was initially using Europa League to get KT fit and ease him back in but to me it now looks a more that with how limited his league appearances are becoming.

32 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Viera coming on was basically a straight like-for-like substitution as in midfielder off, midfielder on. Viera’s also regarded as a bit of a prospect hence the £40m fee and also one of Arteta’s signings that he’s obviously keen to phase in. It paid off too with Viera getting the assist for Oedegaard’s first goal. Arteta clearly sees Zinchenko as a left back primarily and his first choice left back. So in that respect I can understand the substitution and leaving Zinchenko in defence. 

I’m still on the fence whether Zinchenko or Tierney is the better player. I want Tierney to be from a Scottish point of view but I’m not that naive I’d slate Zinchenko for any little mistake he makes or flaw in his game.

Pure speculation but my feeling is that Arteta simply has little trust or faith that Tierney will get through 90 minutes or be able to stay fit for more than 2 or 3 games at a time. Whilst Zinchenko’s had injuries this season, Arteta will know him from Man City and also trust his medical team at Arsenal. And the less said about Tierney’s injury record the better.

Edited by 8MileBU

44 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Didn't even get off the bench when Zinchenko was replaced.

He is surely considering is options by now.

According to Arsenal fans on Twitter he was one of the players who was Ill, which in this case might be why he didn’t come on at halftime after all (it looked like he was going to).

Seems to have been the same thing that made Xhaka go off, apparently a few players had it.

14 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Viera coming on was basically a straight like-for-like substitution as in midfielder off, midfielder on. Viera’s also regarded as a bit of a prospect hence the £40m fee and also one of Arteta’s signings that he’s obviously keen to phase in. It paid off too with Viera getting the assist for Oedegaard’s first goal. Arteta clearly sees Zinchenko as a left back primarily and his first choice left back. So in that respect I can understand the substitution and leaving Zinchenko in defence. 

I’m still on the fence whether Zinchenko or Tierney is the better player. I want Tierney to be from a Scottish point of view but I’m not that naive I’d slate Zinchenko for any little mistake he makes or flaw in his game.

Pure speculation but my feeling is that Arteta simply has little trust or faith that Tierney will get through 90 minutes or be able to stay fit for more than 2 or 3 games at a time. Whilst Zinchenko’s had injuries this season, Arteta will know him from Man City and also trust his medical team at Arsenal. And the less said about Tierney’s injury record the better.

According to injury history KT has missed 90 games since 16/17 through injury. Zinchenko in the same period has also missed 90 games.

Just now, 8MileBU said:

Yeah I get that and agree, im not trying to class Vieira as a numpty or anything. Just that it was a reasonable opportunity to bring Tierney on which wasn't taken.

I've not seen Arsenal's cup games so can't comment on his performances in them, but I just think it's a case of him not fitting in tactically. Arteta's got them looking like the best team in the league and change in how the left-back plays has contributed to that. He's a class full/wing-back in a lot of systems, but he's just not really suited to what Arteta wants from his anymore. Shit happens. Arsenal are top of the league, Tierney will probably get another big move, and he might end up with a Premier League medal.

1 hour ago, dundeefc1783 said:

According to injury history KT has missed 90 games since 16/17 through injury. Zinchenko in the same period has also missed 90 games.

Where’d you find that stat? Injured or otherwise I think Zinchenko would’ve played less regardless as was usually playing second or third fiddle to rapey Benjamin, Danilo, Kolarov etc.

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Yeah I get that and agree, im not trying to class Vieira as a numpty or anything. Just that it was a reasonable opportunity to bring Tierney on which wasn't taken.

I think had it been against Man City or one of the other top 4 clubs then that substitution might have happened.

Edited by 8MileBU

8 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Where’d you find that stat? Injured or otherwise I think Zinchenko would’ve played less regardless as was usually playing second or third fiddle to rapey Benjamin, Danilo, Kolarov etc.

I think had it been against Man City or one of the other top 4 clubs then that substitution might have happened.

Detailed injury history on transfer market

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2022 at 23:07, accies1874 said:

I've not seen Arsenal's cup games so can't comment on his performances in them, but I just think it's a case of him not fitting in tactically. Arteta's got them looking like the best team in the league and change in how the left-back plays has contributed to that. He's a class full/wing-back in a lot of systems, but he's just not really suited to what Arteta wants from his anymore. Shit happens. Arsenal are top of the league, Tierney will probably get another big move, and he might end up with a Premier League medal.

Arsenal fans raving about his performances in the friendlies in recent weeks. Apparently he’s spent the WC break learning how to play as an Arteta style inverted left back and has taken to it like a fish to water.

Let’s see if he can compete for playing time in the league. 

On 21/12/2022 at 14:23, Donathan said:

Arsenal fans raving about his performances in the friendlies in recent weeks. Apparently he’s spent the WC break learning how to play as an Arteta style inverted left back and has taken to it like a fish to water.

Let’s see if he can compete for playing time in the league. 

Thats good news, I've said a few time thats what I think it is. Not being used to or able to implement managers new instructions.

I genuinely think it could improve arsenal having Tierney back in the team and getting Zinchenko into the midfield.

If he doesn't start more often after the break he really should be thinking about moving on in the summer.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Starts tonight again. Still a slightly rotated team but its man city, so it shows hes still got alot of trust from the manager. Hopefully he can play a blinder.

I will be in the minority here but he needs to get the f**k away from Arsenal asap. Don't care if they are top of the league. 

He can't get 90 minutes for them even in the cup and is now regularly the first boy taken off. Looks devoid of confidence and terrified of making a mistake. A shadow of the in player he was a couple of years ago. 

Think Newcastle would be a good move for him. 

Just now, dundeefc1783 said:

I will be in the minority here but he needs to get the f**k away from Arsenal asap. Don't care if they are top of the league. 

He can't get 90 minutes for them even in the cup and is now regularly the first boy taken off. Looks devoid of confidence and terrified of making a mistake. A shadow of the in player he was a couple of years ago. 

Think Newcastle would be a good move for him. 

Have to agree. Fact that he was sacrificed as soon as man city scored as well suggests he's not likely to be first choice any time soon.

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

Have to agree. Fact that he was sacrificed as soon as man city scored as well suggests he's not likely to be first choice any time soon.

Said to the young lad as soon as Man City scored that KT will be off in the next 5 minutes. Its actually looking like he just isn't suited at all to how Arteta wants him to play. 

He was alright last night imo. Arteta wanted the FBs to stay wider and not invert as much and he mostly did what was asked of him. It's clear that he's not on the same technical level as a lot of his teammates (which I didn't think I'd be saying 18 months ago) and he's quite inflexible physically which makes more of a difference than you might think, but he's still more than capable of doing well in the right system. 

Kept one of the most in form wingers in the world on lockdown until he was substituted.

Trusted by his manager to regularly appear from the bench or starter, but not playing 3 games a week and wrecking his body.

All good news for Scotland, no chance he leaves this window. If he wants guaranteed league starts he will have his pick of clubs in the summer.

Edited by Satoshi

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

Kept one of the most in form wingers in the world on lockdown until he was substituted.

Trusted by his manager to regularly appear from the bench or starter, but not playing 3 games a week and wrecking his body.

All good news for Scotland, no chance he leaves this window. If he wants guaranteed league starts he will have his pick of clubs in the summer.

Good news that he hasn't played a full 90 minutes for his club since the beginning of November and his last 90 minutes was for Scotland in November. And now with Arsenal being out of the FA cup it's unlikely he will start another game until March unless Zinchenko is injured/suspended etc. You can and will butter that up whatever way you want but that's not good news for Scotland.