Kieran Tierney

29 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

After getting a start for the second string midweek, he's firmly placed back on the bench and Tomiyasu (sp?) moved back over from right to left.

To be fair he has started all of the European games but isn't getting a sniff of a start in league. Thought after they dropped points last week that he would be starting this week.

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

Scores the opening goal tonight. 

Thats positive, but also I dont think its unfair that others have pointed our the Europa teams seem to be a very rotated selection. The league games seem to be artetas priority at the moment, which is understandable. And he's very much out of the picture there at the moment unfortunately.

Also noticed Zinchenko is on the bench, so if he's fit again that's just further bad news for him.

6 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Thats positive, but also I dont think its unfair that others have pointed our the Europa teams seem to be a very rotated selection. The league games seem to be artetas priority at the moment, which is understandable. And he's very much out of the picture there at the moment unfortunately.

Also noticed Zinchenko is on the bench, so if he's fit again that's just further bad news for him.

From what I've seen he's been Arsenal's best player which is all he can do when he gets a chance. Admittedly the opposition isn't the best. 

He’s only been 2nd choice recently because of his injury a couple of months ago. Once fully fit he’ll be back in front of Tomiyasu, and it looks like he could be injured (Tomiyasu) so may be pushed up this weekend. Also will have a long rest during WC. Tierney probably MOTM tonight.

5 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

How he can be very much out of the picture when he is in every match day squad, and starting games in the Europa League?

In only one premier League game did he not get minutes.

He isn't first choice at the moment, but to suggest he's very much out of the picture is incorrect. Very much out of the picture is training with the reserves or bomb squad.

No surprise that he thrives when he does play, because he's an excellent player. Was being lauded as Arsenal's best trainer by Emile Smith Rowe recently.

Edited by Satoshi

4 hours ago, Satoshi said:

How he can be very much out of the picture when he is in every match day squad, and starting games in the Europa League?

In only one premier League game did he not get minutes.

He isn't first choice at the moment, but to suggest he's very much out of the picture is incorrect. Very much out of the picture is training with the reserves or bomb squad.

No surprise that he thrives when he does play, because he's an excellent player. Was being lauded as Arsenal's best trainer by Emile Smith Rowe recently.

I think alot of that was due to Zinchenko being injured. In artetas thoughts he will be very much 3rd choice left back. Zinchenko is their no 1, surprisingly Tomiyasu is preferred in the first choice team over him also.

He is an excellent player, and I cant say I agree with artetas assessment. But thats where he is now. Im a big Tierney fan, but let's be honest about where he is right now. Its not great.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

8 hours ago, Utdtillidie2 said:

He’s only been 2nd choice recently because of his injury a couple of months ago. Once fully fit he’ll be back in front of Tomiyasu, and it looks like he could be injured (Tomiyasu) so may be pushed up this weekend. Also will have a long rest during WC. Tierney probably MOTM tonight.

Neither of us have access to his data. But id say hes been fully fit for some considerable time.

There seems to be debate amongst Arsenal fans about whether he is being managed due to past injuries, so trying to stop overplaying him and he has started all of the Europa League games.

I do think that it has the appearance of Arteta freezing him out though I am not sure why. Against Leeds and Southampton, even arguably against Forest despite the win, I think the team would have been better with Tierney’s forward play rather than Tomiyasu, who is a great defender but not as great going forward. 

You can’t really defend playing a natural CB or RB, ahead of playing a proper LB in Tierney in Premier League games , and say that you still value him or argue when he inevitable moves elsewhere.

The good thing is that he is still a brilliant player so I don’t doubt he’ll have plenty of options if he does need to move on. 

2 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I think alot of that was due to Zinchenko being injured. In artetas thoughts he will be very much 3rd choice left back. Zinchenko is their no 1, surprisingly Tomiyasu is preferred in the first choice team over him also.

He is an excellent player, and I cant say I agree with artetas assessment. But thats where he is now. Im a big Tierney fan, but let's be honest about where he is right now. Its not great.

What is down to Zinchenko being injured? Tierney has played 817 first team minutes this season, that is actually more than Tomiyasu (770) and means he has the 10th highest minutes of any outfield player. That is emphatically not well out of the picture, nor is the fact he has featured in every premier league game except gameweek 6 (which was actually Arsenals only league loss of the season).

Arteta is clearly rotating his full backs, let's see if Tomiyasu ends up with more minutes when the season is out.

Having the 10th highest minutes of any outfield player probably isn't enough for an elite performer like Tierney. The inverted full backs system doesn't really suit him and I imagine he may be looking for an exit if the situation continues. However, this is a very far cry for him being frozen out or well out of the picture, Arteta clearly still trusts him and plays him almost every game (starting or as a sub). It is no where near as bad as what you and some of the others are making on this thread.

Edit: Tierneys minutes this season are also very close to double that of Zinchenko, who has had injuries, but does further dispel the idea Tierney has been frozen out. He really hasn't.

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

There seems to be debate amongst Arsenal fans about whether he is being managed due to past injuries, so trying to stop overplaying him and he has started all of the Europa League games.

I do think that it has the appearance of Arteta freezing him out though I am not sure why. Against Leeds and Southampton, even arguably against Forest despite the win, I think the team would have been better with Tierney’s forward play rather than Tomiyasu, who is a great defender but not as great going forward. 

You can’t really defend playing a natural CB or RB, ahead of playing a proper LB in Tierney in Premier League games , and say that you still value him or argue when he inevitable moves elsewhere.

The good thing is that he is still a brilliant player so I don’t doubt he’ll have plenty of options if he does need to move on. 

As above, Tierney has not been frozen out.

He deserves to be a nailed on first choice though and isn't. Maybe this rotation helps with his injuries but he will want (and deserves) more. No big deal to change to another elite club due to the tactical decisions of a manager.

Edited by Satoshi

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

What is down to Zinchenko being injured? Tierney has played 817 first team minutes this season, that is actually more than Tomiyasu (770) and means he has the 10th highest minutes of any outfield player. That is emphatically not well out of the picture, nor is the fact he has featured in every premier league game except gameweek 6 (which was actually Arsenals only league loss of the season).

Arteta is clearly rotating his full backs, let's see if Tomiyasu ends up with more minutes when the season is out.

Having the 10th highest minutes of any outfield player probably isn't enough for an elite performer like Tierney. The inverted full backs system doesn't really suit him and I imagine he may be looking for an exit if the situation continues. However, this is a very far cry for him being frozen out or well out of the picture, Arteta clearly still trusts him and plays him almost every game (starting or as a sub). It is no where near as bad as what you and some of the others are making on this thread.

Edit: Tierneys minutes this season are also very close to double that of Zinchenko, who has had injuries, but does further dispel the idea Tierney has been frozen out. He really hasn't.

As above, Tierney has not been frozen out.

He deserves to be a nailed on first choice though and isn't. Maybe this rotation helps with his injuries but he will want (and deserves) more. No big deal to change to another elite club due to the tactical decisions of a manager.

What is down to Zinchenko being injured? Him being in the team as much as he has recently. I thought that was perfectly clear.

Whats the minutes with regards to artetas first choice selections in the league? Not favourable.

When the league team is named Tierney is never in the starting 11, and that's even with what was viewed as his only competition being injured. In terms of the first team, hes well out the picture.

Theres no point in going round in circles with this, were both Scotland fans who want Tierney to do well.

You think its fantastic hes went from 1st choice to 3rd choice. I dont.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

I initially thought Arteta was giving him a chance to play one game a week to get fitness back. Also thought he may have favoured the Europa League games as they may have been less physical. However it now seems that there is more to it than that.

When the signed Zinchenko I was under impression that he was signed as midfielder who can fill in at left back.

If the situation doesn't change over the next few months he needs to get himself to f**k away from there as he is far to good a player to be warming the bench.