Kieran Tierney

28 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

They wanted someone better defensively to deal with salah is the prevailing twitter wisdom. Bit weird as I’d say Tierney is a brilliant defender. Think Arteta has maybe lost a bit of trust in him atm but Tierney is good enough to get it back. 

Yeah I mean, I suppose he might have, but defending is Tierney strongest area and Salah hasn’t exactly been at his best this season so far, so having someone there especially for Salah seems a bit overkill tbh.

Just now, Jambomo said:

It’s a bit weird that he did not play but I did wonder if they are trying to avoid him playing back to back matches since he played almost all of the game on Thursday night?

I remember Clarke saying he was hoping to rest him for at least one of the games in that triple header we had a few weeks back. Maybe just being cautious, especially with Zinchenko out.

I hope you are right and it was an injury precaution type thing.

But tbh I cant see it, it was their biggest game of the season. You have to think they would field what Arteta would consider his strongest available team.

41 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

They wanted someone better defensively to deal with salah is the prevailing twitter wisdom. Bit weird as I’d say Tierney is a brilliant defender. Think Arteta has maybe lost a bit of trust in him atm but Tierney is good enough to get it back. 

He's far too good, if a little injury prone, to be playing as a 2nd / 3rd choice back up for anyone and if he's not going to be playing regularly then really he has to be moving away to somewhere that he'll be a regular again.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I presumed he wasn't match fit.  He's clearly better at both defending and attacking than Tomiyasu. Who is a right back anyway.

Possibly, but he's not started much at all this season. And with Zinchenko looking like he will be used predominantly as a left back. Its concerning.

5 hours ago, WATTOO said:

He's far too good, if a little injury prone, to be playing as a 2nd / 3rd choice back up for anyone and if he's not going to be playing regularly then really he has to be moving away to somewhere that he'll be a regular again.

He should be in telling the manager 

Start me every week or I go

Would have no shortage of offers

I think if Tierneys fit enough he will get suitable game time even for an on form Arsenal team as he’s just that good. The Zinchenko signing is probably a bad sign as to how reliable they think he will be going forward but for Scotland it’s probably a good thing as they are  unlikely to play him now if he’s struggling with having such good options now.

Edited by gannonball

I would imagine tierney didn’t play against liverpool was because the Japanese guy is probably a better defender. He is also two footed whereas tierney and zinchenko was pretty one footed. Arteta was proven right as they won and salah didn’t get much change out of him and got subbed. Tierney will be fine

37 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I would imagine tierney didn’t play against liverpool was because the Japanese guy is probably a better defender. He is also two footed whereas tierney and zinchenko was pretty one footed. Arteta was proven right as they won and salah didn’t get much change out of him and got subbed. Tierney will be fine

Yeah I think that was a one off for that particular scenario. Tierney has started every other game that Zinchenko hasn't played. If it does  become a regular thing there's no doubt that Tierney will be off. 

The third choice stuff is well overblown, Tomiyasu was selected as he is a right footer and Salahs game is (and always has been) cutting inside.

He is not a better defender than Tierney. 

Tierney will be just fine, and will make plenty of appearances this season. If Arsenal have changed their tactical set up and he would be better suited elsewhere he could almost name how team in the EPL or abroad.

The only downside is that Celtic overplayed him as a youngster and he has some recurring injuries but not playing 50-60 games a season will help alleviate that.

Worried that Barcelona and Spain have done the same with Pedri, senior minutes for teenagers should be regulated.

Just now, Satoshi said:

The third choice stuff is well overblown, Tomiyasu was selected as he is a right footer and Salahs game is (and always has been) cutting inside.

He is not a better defender than Tierney. 

Tierney will be just fine, and will make plenty of appearances this season. If Arsenal have changed their tactical set up and he would be better suited elsewhere he could almost name how team in the EPL or abroad.

The only downside is that Celtic overplayed him as a youngster and he has some recurring injuries but not playing 50-60 games a season will help alleviate that.

Worried that Barcelona and Spain have done the same with Pedri, senior minutes for teenagers should be regulated.

I dont think anyone has said he is 3rd choice have they? Perhaps I missed it.

I think the right footed point is a good shout, and probably has some merit.

Hopefully your right, but I view Tierney as probably our best player. Its ok him rotating to keep himself fit, but for us and for him he needs to be considered the first choice left back. Wether thats with arsenal or not.

On 10/10/2022 at 18:52, gannonball said:

I think if Tierneys fit enough he will get suitable game time even for an on form Arsenal team as he’s just that good. The Zinchenko signing is probably a bad sign as to how reliable they think he will be going forward but for Scotland it’s probably a good thing as they are  unlikely to play him now if he’s struggling with having such good options now.

Zinchenko somehow seems to be even more injury-prone than Tierney is. I think Tierney will get plenty of game time. 

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Yeah I read that article too, tbh I didn't see it as being particularly negative. Tierney comes off as a committed arsenal player. I think being away in January would be jumping the gun. We all know he's excellent hopefully he can be first choice again shortly, it may even make him a better player.

Hopefully he does turn it around and get back in the team, but it seems Arteta doesn’t really fancy him.
Picking the right back Tomiyasu to play left back for one of their biggest games of the season when Tierney was fit and available doesn’t bode well.