Kieran Tierney

On 14/03/2023 at 08:56, BingMcCrosby said:

Now overall minutes

Tierney 1168

Tomiyasu 1259

If were talking minutes in the league

Tierney 486

Tomiyasu 651

Closed the gap and blown past him since that comment. Bit embarrassing for you 😳

On 14/03/2023 at 14:38, Satoshi said:

You really took a break from pretending you don't read my posts to post that?

It looks like there is a 7% gap in their overall minutes. If Tierney hadn't been ill and had played the full 90 in the Europa League last week as expected the gap would be....1 minute.

So yeah "blown past him" indeed.

It's not embarrassing in the slightest, I said let's see and there's every likelihood that it will end up pretty close. The poster who said Tierney was third choice behind Tomiyasu made an egregious, obvious, factual error that you didn't comment on but you will pull me up for a prediction that is (currently) 7% out. Can't say I'm surprised. Tierney was ahead in my first post and everything I said was 100% factually accurate. A factual error would be saying he is well out the picture when he has the 10th most minutes of any outfield player - you did that at the time and I'm surprised you're willingly bringing it up again.

Maybe best course of action from here will be going back to pretending you don't read my posts.

15 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

What now that Tomiyasu is injured for the rest of the season? 🤣 aye he might get ahead of him again now Tomiyasu physically can't play.

Also I would say those "several" media outfits were incorrect. And perhaps not sure what Tierney is capable of.

Can you link to these several articles saying Tierney showed no signs of rust?

See posts above for how dreadfully wrong you got it, and went hiding for weeks afterwards. You did indeed follow my advice or pretending not to read my posts again for a while.

Google it yourself, I only saw two articles and both mentioned it. I googled again, knew you would be lazy, and the Daily Record states in explicitly in its player ratings. Sure they have never see Tierney before.....

Anyway, as expected Tierney had another fabulous game, he really is a terrific player and absolutely essential for this Scotland team. As has been pointed out extensively, his lack of minutes for Arsenal reflects a tactical decision not his ability or attitude. Arteta does clearly trust him hence why he keeps playing him in cup games (and bringing him on in many league games). It's a near certainty he will move in the summer to somewhere where he gets more minutes, Arsenal would love to keep him but he deserves more. Until then he will continue being a model pro, and will be a well deserved winner of the league at the end of the season. He was an excellent signing for Arsenal, one incredibly popular with fans, coaches and fellow players.

What has become clear on this forum, is that there exists a subset of posters who only post negatively about our players. They infect many of the threads and of course only post about players not playing, or making a mistake. The threads of the players who are active and playing well are dormant. The threads of the players not playing are awash with wild speculation.

Why is this? This subset either hates Scotland openly (like Binos), or is a born pessimist who veils their outright criticism with faux concern - 'I just hope he plays more' - it's complete pish. If you find yourself siding with the fantasists thinking Tierney is third choice then clearly you are in the wrong and desperately searching for a way to criticise a player, of a team you supposedly support. Do better.

If you are trying to fudge factual information to criticise one of our players, then you are just the same as the overt trolls.

I have no doubt this behaviour will continue, the usual suspects won't change their spots that quickly, but the way to combat it is to robustly and repeatedly call it out. Stick to the facts, don't attack players who don't deserve it.

Maybe eventually we will become a board when the threads going to top of the section are about how well we are doing, and which players are playing well rather than the current ceaseless negativity. Be part of the change you want to see in the world.

If that change is gloating that Tomiyasu gets more minutes than Tierney, then you really are fully through the looking glass.

Credit to Tierney on another fantastic performance, many doubted him but I am happy to be vindicated.

2 hours ago, NickMcG said:

Was he injured when he went off or just tired. He didn't look too happy so maybe injured?

He volleyed a Spanish boys foot.  Shocked he lasted as long as he did after it.  

He is quality, and I still don't understand why people moan that we play a back 3 with WBs when he's available.  What he done to Carvajal should be a crime...

On 14/03/2023 at 14:51, Theroadlesstravelled said:

He’s one dimensional. Tomiyasu has more to his game and is the second choice LB.

This is Tierney’s contribution -

Run down the wing, cross it in, get injured for 10 games.

Run down the wing, cross it in, beat Spain. Knob.

On another note Tierney and McGregor are probably the only 2 Scotland players I have never slandered, prefer Tierney over Robertson all day and hopefully he gets more minutes at Arsenal or the move to Newcastle which would be a logical move for him, more minutes and a club on the up.

The only problem he has is that he is competing at Arsenal against a guy who can control a game at left back. 

Strolls through games at LCB or LWB. The only criticism anyone could lay on him is his injuries, whether lasting or missing games. Some players are just like that but with the way he plays of course he's going to pick some up now and again. Scotland are a far better team with him in it.

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

See posts above for how dreadfully wrong you got it, and went hiding for weeks afterwards. You did indeed follow my advice or pretending not to read my posts again for a while.

Google it yourself, I only saw two articles and both mentioned it. I googled again, knew you would be lazy, and the Daily Record states in explicitly in its player ratings. Sure they have never see Tierney before.....

Anyway, as expected Tierney had another fabulous game, he really is a terrific player and absolutely essential for this Scotland team. As has been pointed out extensively, his lack of minutes for Arsenal reflects a tactical decision not his ability or attitude. Arteta does clearly trust him hence why he keeps playing him in cup games (and bringing him on in many league games). It's a near certainty he will move in the summer to somewhere where he gets more minutes, Arsenal would love to keep him but he deserves more. Until then he will continue being a model pro, and will be a well deserved winner of the league at the end of the season. He was an excellent signing for Arsenal, one incredibly popular with fans, coaches and fellow players.

What has become clear on this forum, is that there exists a subset of posters who only post negatively about our players. They infect many of the threads and of course only post about players not playing, or making a mistake. The threads of the players who are active and playing well are dormant. The threads of the players not playing are awash with wild speculation.

Why is this? This subset either hates Scotland openly (like Binos), or is a born pessimist who veils their outright criticism with faux concern - 'I just hope he plays more' - it's complete pish. If you find yourself siding with the fantasists thinking Tierney is third choice then clearly you are in the wrong and desperately searching for a way to criticise a player, of a team you supposedly support. Do better.

If you are trying to fudge factual information to criticise one of our players, then you are just the same as the overt trolls.

I have no doubt this behaviour will continue, the usual suspects won't change their spots that quickly, but the way to combat it is to robustly and repeatedly call it out. Stick to the facts, don't attack players who don't deserve it.

Maybe eventually we will become a board when the threads going to top of the section are about how well we are doing, and which players are playing well rather than the current ceaseless negativity. Be part of the change you want to see in the world.

If that change is gloating that Tomiyasu gets more minutes than Tierney, then you really are fully through the looking glass.

Credit to Tierney on another fantastic performance, many doubted him but I am happy to be vindicated.

Again can you link the several articles that specifically said he didn't look rusty? Or just admit you made that up.

On my opinion of Tierney I think your a bit confused which is understandable. I think he's excellent, i can quote myself going back years proving this. Id rather he played more for his club, so he's better and fitter for Scotland. You prefer him not at top fitness.

I understand you feel fully vindicated, but im not sure what you mean. Can you quote me saying Tierney will play badly? Or is a bad player?

Oh and the several articles 🙄

34 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

Can I point out that you're the guy who wants Steve Clarke punted from the national job. 

Er, he did about 2 years ago. Things have changed quite a lot since then.

Bing's said several times recently that SC is doing great now.

10 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Strolls through games at LCB or LWB. The only criticism anyone could lay on him is his injuries, whether lasting or missing games. Some players are just like that but with the way he plays of course he's going to pick some up now and again. Scotland are a far better team with him in it.

I don't think that's true. I'm a Tierney fan, and I have always thought he's a better LB than Robertson, but I will also say that when he plays CB he usually has two or three instances a game where he either gets easily beaten in the air or otherwise shows that he isn't a genuine CB. Last night he stood and watched the ball bounce right in front of him no more that 4-5 yards from his own goal because there were a few bodies in the vicinity and he clearly didn't trust himself to jump and head it clear.

As I said, I'm a fan, and I think he's a better all-around player than Robertson, but to me it's clear he has deficiencies playing at CB and I fully expect that to be shown up again and again if we persist in playing him there. It's being hypercritical to point it out every single time it happens, because full-time CB's lose headers or get mugged sometimes as well, but my only point is that he's clearly far weaker at CB than he is at LB because he has some obvious deficiencies that would preclude most players from playing there, even though for the most part we get away with it.

Edited by Boo Khaki

11 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I don't think that's true. I'm a Tierney fan, and I have always thought he's a better LB than Robertson, but I will also say that when he plays CB he usually has two or three instances a game where he either gets easily beaten in the air or otherwise shows that he isn't a genuine CB. Last night he stood and watched the ball bounce right in front of him no more that 4-5 yards from his own goal because there were a few bodies in the vicinity and he clearly didn't trust himself to jump and head it clear.

As I said, I'm a fan, and I think he's a better all-around player than Robertson, but to me it's clear he has deficiencies playing at CB and I fully expect that to be shown up again and again if we persist in playing him there. It's being hypercritical to point it out every single time it happens, because full-time CB's lose headers or get mugged sometimes as well, but my only point is that he's clearly far weaker at CB than he is at LB because he has some obvious deficiencies that would preclude most players from playing there, even though for the most part we get away with it.

We all know he's a LB. He does get caught out at CB at times but any more so than Cooper or Hanley? Not so sure and that's the positions they are meant to excel at.

Our strongest 11 includes Tierney, certainly in my mind there's no doubt. Robertson is more hot/cold at LWB for me but would you drop him when he's capable of setting them on a plate like he has in the last two games?

These are good problems to have.

17 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Again can you link the several articles that specifically said he didn't look rusty? Or just admit you made that up.

On my opinion of Tierney I think your a bit confused which is understandable. I think he's excellent, i can quote myself going back years proving this. Id rather he played more for his club, so he's better and fitter for Scotland. You prefer him not at top fitness.

I understand you feel fully vindicated, but im not sure what you mean. Can you quote me saying Tierney will play badly? Or is a bad player?

Oh and the several articles 🙄

I didn't make it up, I just didn't factor in that you were too thick to google it for yourself. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-player-ratings-callum-mcgregor-29549776 

It's right here, in the Daily Record, as I said in my last post. One link not enough for you? Suck it up buttercup, unless you're willing to provide evidence yourself don't bother asking for any.

But if you want to try - then please quote yourself going back years saying this. I have quoted you on this page gloating about how Tomiyasu was getting more minutes than him. Why on earth would you do that?

When on earth did I say that I preferred him not at top fitness? That's a bare faced lie on your part, and not even a good one. It's a ludicrous statement no one would make.

Quite the contrary, I wasn't too concerned with his lack of appearances and was confident it wouldn't affect his Scotland career. It's far better than Arsenal playing him 90 mins twice a week as it's clear his body can't handle it. Maybe this quieter season has allowed him to address his underlying injury issues - if so, fantastic news for him and Scotland.

You keep asking for evidence yet provide none. The quote where you gloat about Tomiyasus appearances relative to Tierney says it all really - as if an actual fan would do that.

BEven now, you are desperately trying to say that media outlets didn't think Tierney was rusty, even though the Daily Record explicitly said he didn't look rusty. Why? Why are you so desperate to attack our players at every opportunity? 

Your loser friends aren't here to help you now, the idiot who thought Tierney was third choice, Binos, theroadlesstravelled etc. will run a million miles from these threads when Scotland players or Scotland do well. They will be back, of course, but will leave plenty of time (and something bad happening) before reappearing. 

Only one poster looks foolish enough staying behind holding the bag. You really should have kept pretending to not read my posts, it's surely better than what's happening to you now.

Take a lesson from all this, try not to attack our players constantly. Sometimes post about players playing and playing well, not constantly about whoever is not playing every week.

Edited by Satoshi