Kieran Tierney

Steve Clarke's recent thoughts on KT's lack of playing time at Arsenal. Sorry bits are repeated in places but each article has some unique information.

It’s one of the things you have got to deal with when you are playing at a top-level club. I had it myself when I was a player. Obviously in the early days at Chelsea it was a little bit easier but once you had the foreign influence starting to come in and better players start to turn up, you find yourself at a level where you are maybe not going to be selected to play every game. You have to deal with that. He (Tierney) understands why he is not getting so many minutes in the Premier League. He has just got to knuckle down and get on with it. That’s what he is doing.

I don’t think anybody else wanted me. I didn’t train as hard as I could or work as hard as I could to be in the team. You have got a choice, run away and try somewhere else or stick it out. I didn’t have too many suitors at the time. I was settled in the area and settled at the club. Kieran is probably in a slightly different position. He is certainly good enough to play to the highest level in the EPL. I think he should knuckle down, see this season out like the good professional he is and see what the summer brings.

Steve Clarke

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/kieran-tierney-steve-clarke-weighs-in-on-scotland-and-ex-celtic-defenders-situation-at-arsenal-and-advises-knuckling-down-4069823

Kieran understands it’s one of the things you have to deal with at a top-level club. I’ve spoken to him and he’s handling the situation well. I had it myself as a player. In the early days at Chelsea it was a little bit easier, but once the foreign influence started and better players arrived, you find yourself at a level where you’re maybe not selected for every game. You’ve got to deal with that and that’s what he’s doing. You have to be a good pro and work as hard as you can.

I actually had six months where I let myself down. I didn’t train or work as hard as I could to be in the team when Bobby Campbell was the manager. Thankfully, I saw the error of my ways, knuckled down and got back in. Everyone deals with these situations differently.

If I could go back to when team selection was wobbling a little bit, I’d do it differently. So I can pass that experience on to people now, give them the benefit of my situation. You try to impart that knowledge to players who are experiencing something similar. You can say, ‘Look, I made an a*** of myself there, be careful what you’re doing, do the right thing'. I saw I wasn’t going anywhere and had to knuckle down. That’s what I did and I ended up with a pretty decent career, but you have a choice: run, try elsewhere or stick it out.

Kieran’s good enough to play at the EPL’s highest level. He should knuckle down, see out the season like the good professional he is and see what the summer brings.

Steve Clarke

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10388150/steve-clarke-celtic-kieran-tierney-arsenal-struggles/

It’s one of the things you have to deal with when you are playing at a top-level club. I had it myself when I was a player. In the early days at Chelsea it was a little bit easier, but once you have the foreign influence starting to come in, and quality players start to turn up, you find yourself at a level where you are maybe not going to be selected to play every game. You have to deal with that. 

I’ve spoken to Kieran recently and he is handling the situation well. He understands why he is not getting so many minutes. He just has to knuckle down and get on with it. You have to be a good professional and work as hard as you can. His club are flying at the top of the league so, while it’s not great that he is not playing, he can take some comfort from the fact the team are playing well.

Am I glad I stuck it out at Chelsea? I don’t think anybody else wanted me! You have got a choice as a player – run away and try somewhere else or stick it out. I didn’t have too many suitors at the time. I was settled in the area and at the club. I tweaked my position a little and moved inside to centre-back. That seemed to help me get more games. I got the benefit of staying because towards the end of my career I picked up a few trophies.That was a nice way to finish my career, with two or three winner’s medals in my pocket.

Kieran is probably in a slightly different position. He is certainly good enough to play at the highest level in the EPL. So I think he should knuckle down, see this season out like the good professional he is and see what the summer brings.

I actually had six months when I let myself down. I didn’t train or work as hard as I could to be in the team. Thankfully I saw the error of my ways, knuckled down and got back in the team. Everyone deals with these situations differently. If I could go back to my situation, when team selection was wobbling a little bit, I would do it differently. So I can pass that on to people like Kieran now and give them the benefit of my experience. I just changed within myself. I realised I wasn’t going anywhere. I had to knuckle down and get back in the team – and that’s what I did. I ended up with a pretty decent career as a result. I now have all those experiences to take with me. You try to impart that knowledge to players who are experiencing something similar, if not the same situation. You say: ‘Look I made an a**e of myself there, just be careful what you are doing, do the right thing’.

Steve Clarke

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kieran-tierney-offered-arsenal-hope-29494083

Edited by 2426255

37 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Good to hear. Just a pity he couldn't have got a longer run out 

Good for Scotland anyway, shows he’s still sharp and ready for the international games.

It’s just a shame that it probably won’t count for an awful lot at Arsenal. I feel like he’s not even in a position to earn a start by playing well, Arteta seems stuck to his preferred style and Tierney doesn't fit it.

16 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Good for Scotland anyway, shows he’s still sharp and ready for the international games.

It’s just a shame that it probably won’t count for an awful lot at Arsenal. I feel like he’s not even in a position to earn a start by playing well, Arteta seems stuck to his preferred style and Tierney doesn't fit it.

Yeah it certainly seems that there isn't a hell of lot he can do to force his way into that side unless Zinchenko gets injured. 

The usual suspects missing when he comes on and has a good game 😂

Not a surprise at all.

Don't worry, they will be back when he doesn't play in the next game.

In the meantime they have seamlessly migrated to having a go at Gilmour instead.

What odd lives they must live.

Worrying the disgraceful treatment he is getting from that muppet Arteta. Zinchenko is nothing but an ass licker, Man City are no mugs, they would not sell to a rival if a player is that good. Hope Tierney gets a move to a Club that will appreciate him and show him more respect.

3 hours ago, troopio said:

Worrying the disgraceful treatment he is getting from that muppet Arteta. Zinchenko is nothing but an ass licker, Man City are no mugs, they would not sell to a rival if a player is that good. Hope Tierney gets a move to a Club that will appreciate him and show him more respect.

Muppet? he has transformed a team who bottled the top 4 and in previous seasons were mid table no hopers and in danger of becoming a laughing stock to being in pole position to winning their first title in over 20 years! 

Zinchenko is better than Tierney, Kieran will need to move in the summer I think, Newcastle perhaps

3 hours ago, troopio said:

The state of this.

The tartan goons have the cheek to call England fans deluded. 

24 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Muppet? he has transformed a team who bottled the top 4 and in previous seasons were mid table no hopers and in danger of becoming a laughing stock to being in pole position to winning their first title in over 20 years! 

Zinchenko is better than Tierney, Kieran will need to move in the summer I think, Newcastle perhaps

Agree with the first paragraph but not fully with the second. I think technically Zinchenko is better and he is far better suited for the inverted role that Arteta wants him to play. However as an orthodox left back I personally think Tierney is more effective than Zinchenko.  

A quiet thread - what does that mean?

Tierney easily completed 90 mins against Cyprus, showing no signs of rustiness and as ever one of our better players.

Kalvin Phillips has only 56 league minutes all season but played the full 90 for England against Italy. Harry Maguire has fewer minutes than Tierney in the league and far fewer appearances (19 Vs 11) but played all of Englands two matches for this round of game.

Orjan Nyland has one league appearance all season but started (as ever) for Norway and actually made some decent saves.

I'm sure I can found many more examples in almost every team in the euro qualifying.

It's almost as if in modern football starting every league game isn't a pre requisite to be chosen / being successful at international level.

Lots of humble pie being eaten by some of the mewling usual suspects here - don't think we will be seeing them for a while!

Meanwhile, I very much expect Tierney to play the full 90 Vs Spain. And be one of our better players as usual.

3 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Tierney easily completed 90 mins against Cyprus, showing no signs of rustiness and as ever one of our better players.

Kalvin Phillips has only 56 league minutes all season but played the full 90 for England against Italy. Harry Maguire has fewer minutes than Tierney in the league and far fewer appearances (19 Vs 11) but played all of Englands two matches for this round of game.

Orjan Nyland has one league appearance all season but started (as ever) for Norway and actually made some decent saves.

I'm sure I can found many more examples in almost every team in the euro qualifying.

It's almost as if in modern football starting every league game isn't a pre requisite to be chosen / being successful at international level.

Lots of humble pie being eaten by some of the mewling usual suspects here - don't think we will be seeing them for a while!

Meanwhile, I very much expect Tierney to play the full 90 Vs Spain. And be one of our better players as usual.

Uber-Scotland fan defending the players, the team and the league from the unpatriotic haters.....

3 hours ago, Satoshi said:

I personally thought he did look quite rusty which is understandable given his lack of minutes. 

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

I thought his crossing/final ball wasn’t at his usual high level against Cyprus, which I put down to rustiness at the time.

Excellent to get 90 minutes in him before the tough test tomorrow night. 

Yeah 100% hopefully that game has done him the world of good. 

4 hours ago, Londonwell said:

I thought his crossing/final ball wasn’t at his usual high level against Cyprus, which I put down to rustiness at the time.

Excellent to get 90 minutes in him before the tough test tomorrow night. 

Also he wasn't able to burst forward as much which has always been a feature of his game from that position. Especially against the weaker teams.

Im not sure giving him 90 mins was the best idea tbh, id rather he played 60 so he's got more in the tank for Spain.