Kieran Tierney

15 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I just listened to it and it’s really good. I don’t think I have ever heard Clarke speak as much as that or sound like he wasn’t grumpy as hell.

He does go into it a bit, though there were a couple of places where I was thinking that I hope the players aren’t listening to this! 

I thought the fact there was an audience changed the dynamic and maybe Steve Clarke said a few things he otherwise wouldn't have that were maybe a bit out of character and he might cringe if he listens back. I prefer that podcast when it's one on one.

"Probably 90% talent. You want the best players, sometimes you’ve got take some rascals to get the best ones. Then you have to deal with the rascals."

I couldn't help but think Ryan Fraser when he said this. I'm sure some people will say he hasn't got any talent though. 😅

Edited by 2426255

13 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

On his point about the myth around Tierney not wanting to play, it may not have been the case that he didn't want to play, but it is a fact that he was rarely available to play, often soon before/after he was playing for Celtic. I know around this time he was struggling with underlying injuries and had to manage his games so this is not a criticism as they pay his wages, but it did seem clear at the time that Scotland were not a priority (again, perhaps rightly) so it is understandable Scotland fans having this view.

It was a myth that he didn’t want to play for Scotland 

I find it amazing even now people like yourself are still doubting his commitment 

I wonder why Aaron Hickey gets a pass from the fans while Tierney gets slaughtered 

13 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Clarke's claim that he somehow talked Tierney into playing as a left centre back and that this was his visionary idea to get them into the team like that is a total fiction. Tierney was only available for selection in 3 games under McLeish and played as a left-centre back in a 3 in all 3 of them. This was already the established idea at the time in terms of how to get both him and Robertson into the team. The only difference was that Tierney became available for selection on a regular basis to embed this into the team.

On his point about the myth around Tierney not wanting to play, it may not have been the case that he didn't want to play, but it is a fact that he was rarely available to play, often soon before/after he was playing for Celtic. I know around this time he was struggling with underlying injuries and had to manage his games so this is not a criticism as they pay his wages, but it did seem clear at the time that Scotland were not a priority (again, perhaps rightly) so it is understandable Scotland fans having this view.

The problem is that it sounds like Celtic were utterly mismanaging his injuries. There was an interview on Open Goal with him and he said how he could hardly sleep because of the pain and was playing with a ton of injections etc. it was obvious he needed some surgery but they kept on playing him.

I don’t think it was a case of him just not prioriting Scotland but more he just shouldn’t have been playing at all at the time and was kind of being forced to. It certainly seems much better now at Arsenal, he’s been able to play for us loads more because they are managing him properly.

I don’t think Clarkes claim is fiction, I can imagine Tierney wanting to play as the left back because it’s his more usual position but because he can play LCB as well, he probably did need to talk him into it a bit. 

Edited by Jambomo

Just now, Clown Job said:

I find it amazing even now people like yourself are still doubting his commitment 

I wonder why Aaron Hickey gets a pass from the fans while Tierney gets slaughtered 

I've never doubted Tierneys commitment myself. 

But I suppose the reason people aren't having a go at hickey is that he's not been asked to play for the full squad.

Also he was overlooked for the u21s until very recently, while clearly inferior players were being called up ahead of him. So him not wanting to travel from Italy to play at a vastly inferior level. For the team who continually snubbed him. Yeah I have some sympathy for that.

The scotland youth set ups are a joke. Which has once again led to a player probably feeling alienated.

Once the full team call up comes and if he starts snubbing that, then yeah I think it would be fair then to consider him a dick.

2 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Where have I said that I now doubt his commitment? You've literally just made that up.

I just pointed out the fact that he was only available to play 3 out of 12 games under McLeish and this is what led to the perception that he didn't see it as a priority. I quite clearly stated that I wasn't criticising him as he had underlying injury problems, and that he was probably managing himself to prevent further injury. But that I could understand why at the time fans may have seen it differently given that he'd miss Scotland games but then play for Celtic at the weekend.

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

The problem is that it sounds like Celtic were utterly mismanaging his injuries. There was an interview on Open Goal with him and he said how he could hardly sleep because of the pain and was playing with a ton of injections etc. it was obvious he needed some surgery but they kept on playing him.

I don’t think it was a case of him just not prioriting Scotland but more he just shouldn’t have been playing at all at the time and was kind of being forced to. It certainly seems much better now at Arsenal, he’s been able to play for us loads more because they are managing him properly.

I don’t think Clarkes claim is fiction, I can imagine Tierney wanting to play as the left back because it’s his more usual position but because he can play LCB as well, he probably did need to talk him into it a bit. 

Every match that Tierney played under McLeish he played as a left centre back, so it is fiction that Clarke claims he thought up the idea and had to sell it to him. That was already Tierney's position for Scotland when Clarke came in, it's just that Tierney was barely playing, Clarke just managed to grt him playing more regularly so it became more established.

2 hours ago, ahemps said:

I would say this has totally flipped recently. Tierney has played a lot for Scotland while having missed some club football he has been available for Scotland despite not playing for Arsenal to then miss games for Arsenal after international duty. There have been times I have expected him to miss an international break and he has showed up so I would hope that nobody still holds this view.

I certainly don't, he has been immense for Scotland recently, in fact he always has when he's been able to play, particularly as he's only ever really played right back and left centre back.

Apparently now wanted by Barcelona to replace Jordi Alba in the summer (when both he and KT are out of contract).

I'd be super excited at him playing for Barca, but I'm obviously feart he ends up on the bench (I dare say that says more about me than KT).

What do you reckon he should do? Stay or try his hand in Spain/Catalunya?

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Apparently now wanted by Barcelona to replace Jordi Alba in the summer (when both he and KT are out of contract).

I'd be super excited at him playing for Barca, but I'm obviously feart he ends up on the bench (I dare say that says more about me than KT).

Go to Barca. If he's good enough he will play.

It does make me laugh seeing him linked with the likes of Barcelona, because I remember hearing constantly that he was never good enough to make it outside of Scottish football, and he was overrated 
What you're basically saying here is that a thing has changed over time though.

It does make me laugh seeing him linked with the likes of Barcelona, because I remember hearing constantly that he was never good enough to make it outside of Scottish football, and he was overrated 
A number of Elo ratings have Barcelona as a worse team than Arsenal. This isn't 2009.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

A number of Elo ratings have Barcelona as a worse team than Arsenal. This isn't 2009.

form wise they may be considered a "worse" team currently than Arsenal but they are undoubtedly a far bigger club who will be associated with (and will bid for players) who in their prime wouldn't come anywhere near Arsenal....

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

So he would be taking a step backwards 

Gotcha 👍

5 hours ago, velo army said:

KT isn’t out of contract this summer. He signed a new 5 year deal last summer. 

• 1 month later...
So he would be taking a step backwards 
Gotcha [emoji106]

Last year Barca’s Revenue was €631m while Arsenal turned over €575 which makes it look like a step sideways

Although the new premiership tv deal is about to kick in and Arsenal are in line to get back to the champions league while Barca are sitting on a mountain of debt so this may be the moment of transition