Kieran Tierney

Nothing wrong with staying at Arsenal. They are still a huge club. Quite conceivable that Arsenal are challenging for CL places this season and within the next 2-3 yrs could be league challengers given the right circumstances.

I think not playing in Europe for 1 season might be beneficial for his body although he will no doubt want to play in Europe and he should be playing in European competition but I don't see Arsenal not being in Europe anymore than 1 season.

Also he has won a major trophy and been to a European semi final in his 2 yrs at the club so it's already been a semi successful move.

On 26/06/2021 at 11:58, Jambomo said:

What like Harry Maguire? Van Dijk? Or Jadon Sancho? Jack Grealish? Big teams will pay if they want them enough.

Van Dijk was market value.  The others had or will have home grown status for Financial Fair Play status.  

We didn't get the most out of Kieran Tierney against Croatia. His role for this game seemed to be primarily defensive. He was given a difficult evening against Nikola Vlasic who dropped deep and continually dragged him out of position and Tierney was unable to stop Vlasic holding the ball up well for Croatia. Tierney (5'10) didn't win any balls in the air all evening including the third goal from Ivan Perisic (6'1) which makes me wonder how he ended up marking Perisic at corners.

Offensively Tierney wasn't present apart from the opening flurry and mostly played short sideways and backwards passes or direct passes to the strikers. After the 3rd Croatia goal was scored Tierney swapped with Andy Robertson and started getting into good positions and began linking up with Robertson and Ryan Fraser. 

• Put in 2 crosses in 90 minutes.
  • Linked up with Andy Robertson 2 times before Croatia's 3rd Goal
  • Linked up with Andy Robertson 6 times after Croatia's 3rd goal 
  • Reached the final third 7 times before Croatia's 3rd goal.
  • Reached the final third 7 times after Croatia's 3rd goal.

His performance was pretty consistent with how Liam Cooper played against the Czech Republic which makes me wonder if he was working to Steve Clarkes game plan. It's hard to know why: was he carrying an injury? under instructions? but unfortunately he clearly spent too much time playing as a centre back and not enough time in the opposition half attacking the Croatian box.

Edited by 2426255

16 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I think signing a long term deal at Arsenal is his best move.

Same he had bad injuries as a youth player and then we ran him in to ground as we had no back up left back for ages at Celtic. You never quite know how much that effects their career long term so it absolutely makes sense for him to take the security.

Edited by gannonball

We didn't get the most out of Kieran Tierney against Croatia. His role for this game seemed to be primarily defensive. He was given a difficult evening against Nikola Vlasic who dropped deep and continually dragged him out of position and Tierney was unable to stop Vlasic holding the ball up well for Croatia. Tierney (5'10) didn't win any balls in the air all evening including the third goal from Ivan Perisic (6'1) which makes me wonder how he ended up marking Perisic at corners.
Offensively Tierney wasn't present apart from the opening flurry and mostly played short sideways and backwards passes or direct passes to the strikers. After the 3rd Croatia goal was scored Tierney swapped with Andy Robertson and started getting into good positions and began linking up with Robertson and Ryan Fraser. 
  • Put in 2 crosses in 90 minutes.
  • Linked up with Andy Robertson 2 times before Croatia's 3rd Goal
  • Linked up with Andy Robertson 6 times after Croatia's 3rd goal 
  • Reached the final third 7 times before Croatia's 3rd goal.
  • Reached the final third 7 times after Croatia's 3rd goal.
His performance was pretty consistent with how Liam Cooper played against the Czech Republic which makes me wonder if he was working to Steve Clarkes game plan. It's hard to know why: was he carrying an injury? under instructions? but unfortunately he clearly spent too much time playing as a centre back and not enough time in the opposition half attacking the Croatian box.
I've tried to blank much of that game from my mind but did he get any scares early on? He could've just been a bit cautious about exposing Hanley/McKenna and McTominay. They did seem to get drawn out towards Croatia's forwards a few times. Or, as you said, he was told not to.

I did find it quite weird that Robertson ended up at CB and Tierney at LB at the end.

I can't remember too many glaring errors, unless you expect him to stop Perisic from scoring their third. Tierney was done by a through-ball on 15 minutes covering for Hanley who followed his man and only quick thinking from David Marshall denied Vlasic. 

The first Croatia goal is a good example of how their attackers movement helped them get the better of our defenders. Vlasic starts finds the ball on the left and by the time the ball is worked across to the right and floated in for Perisic to nods the ball down Vlasic has drifted to the penalty spot and with McTominay and O'Donnell on Perisic and both Hanley and Tierney on Petkovic no one picks up Vlasic. It wasn't just Vlasic, Petkovic and Perisic kept on pulling our defence around.

I've seen that Denmark has a front three that isn't dissimilar so hopefully we can learn our lessons. I don't remember the forward movement of England or the Czech Republic being as good.   

Edited by 2426255

Hanley was great in the first two games but I do remember him getting duped by their movement quite a few times before his injury. I wondered if they were well coached or just a bunch of really intelligent footballers. Or a mixture of the two, obviously.

18 hours ago, gannonball said:

Same he had bad injuries as a youth player and then we ran him in to ground as we had no back up left back for ages at Celtic. You never quite know how much that effects their career long term so it absolutely makes sense for him to take the security.

I remember in his last Celtic season when he needed a hernia operation from around March, you were well clear in the league and still didn't get the operation and delayed it until the summer. I was amazed at Celtic doing this.

I saw 3 major issues with this:

1. He needed an operation, surely it's always better to do these things as early as possible?

2. You were risking making the injury worse therefore gambling on your saleable asset, you could have reduced his value.

3. If he stayed at Celtic he would have been unavailable for your champions league qualifying games by carrying out the operation in the summer and not in the March time.

How did you and the general Celtic fans view this at the time?

5 hours ago, ahemps said:

I remember in his last Celtic season when he needed a hernia operation from around March, you were well clear in the league and still didn't get the operation and delayed it until the summer. I was amazed at Celtic doing this.

I saw 3 major issues with this:

1. He needed an operation, surely it's always better to do these things as early as possible?

2. You were risking making the injury worse therefore gambling on your saleable asset, you could have reduced his value.

3. If he stayed at Celtic he would have been unavailable for your champions league qualifying games by carrying out the operation in the summer and not in the March time.

How did you and the general Celtic fans view this at the time?

He needed a hernia op even before that I think. Its common enough for a player to play with a hernia but you could tell it was effecting him to the point that he was a shell of himself. We basically didn’t have another left back and Lennon didn’t fancy playing someone out of position. It was terrible planning really as we got rid  of Izzy because his legs had gone then inexplicably  signed him 2 years later again.

Edited by gannonball

• 5 months later...
On 28/06/2020 at 20:58, BingMcCrosby said:

Well Im not often wrong, but Im right again.

You're often wrong mate as I've proven numerous times. Go re-read the Time to go Steve Clarke thread if you've forgotten. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by 2426255

ffs this thread is wild, yet i've probably have more red dot for being able to see McT is bang average

edit - 4 red dots and counting, for stating my surprise at the wildly different views of a player i actually rate, is everyone on this forum related to McTominay ?🤔🤣

Edited by Meldrew

55 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I'd imagine Tierney will be first choice again shortly, hes an excellent player.

Arteta should have a look at Daniel Farke and realise what happens when you don't play one of our main guys. 

That's a very tartan army opinion, Arsenal fans are pretty much 50/50 with him these days, i could see him elsewhere next season.

8 hours ago, Meldrew said:

That's a very tartan army opinion, Arsenal fans are pretty much 50/50 with him these days, i could see him elsewhere next season.

I hope he does leave Arsenal, they are shite and are going to be for a long time. The other big clubs have good left backs already so maybe he could be part of the Newcastle transformation project.