Kieran Tierney

1 hour ago, Andrew Driver said:

Huge mistake by Steve Clarke to play Robertson v Dasa when their excellent right back had Robertson in his back pocket in previous games.    

I'd like Steve Clarke to consider switching roles with Robertson playing LCB and Tierney LWB.   

Nah Tierney is the better suited to LCB, bit stronger, better defender, slightly bigger.  Robertson would struggle there at times.  Its not ideal for either of them but Clarke has found probably the best way to accomodate both.  It helps Tierney has been playing there for his club quite a bit.

1 hour ago, Andrew Driver said:

Great to see both Robertson and Tierney winning MOTM for their club again today.  

Aye.  Watched the PSG game the other night, well next day, and McTominay was quality against Neymar.  It was like when Ralston got in his face except he was good. 

That's one of the best players in the world and big McSauce was told to pick him up and did really well till late in the game Neymar moved and did some damage but nothing to do with the big lad.  Love to see Scottish players doing well at the top level.

5 minutes ago, Andrew Driver said:

But as you've seen from the Slovakia game Tierney is better suited the LWB role.   Robertson needs a player in front of him like he has at Liverpool with Mane.  His best games for Scotland always had a left winger in front of him like Snodgrass or Fraser.   

If we play a 352 then it must be Tierney at LWB.    

Nah its a better use of them the way its been.  Tierney is probably better at both roles imo but he's better for the team at LCB.  

What I would also like to see soon is Gilmour and McTominay in the middle.  Fantastic, good balance, top quality players.  But we need someone (cough Harry Souttar) for the McTominay role in the back 3.  John Souttar could do it if he ever gets back to his best.  Caulker maybe I suppose.  Or Gallagher with Cooper or McKenna in the middle.

On 14/11/2020 at 17:49, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

A mate of mine described Robertson quite well I thought as 'like every sound wee guy in Glasgow. Buckfast with the young team on Friday nights but Moretti and polite banter with his long-term girlfriend's parents on Sunday afternoons'. 

Robertson is a posh p***k from Clarkston, just doesn't want people to think it. Tierney actually is the "working class hero"

5 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Robertson is a posh p***k from Clarkston, just doesn't want people to think it. Tierney actually is the "working class hero"

what people? His Friday night park drinking gang? You suggesting that Robertson tries to plays up ned credentials at every opportunity? Interviews with LFC TV etc ha

I think Robertson is a fairly one-dimensional player as an attacker - I know that's usually an insult, but what I mean here is that he has a fairly direct way of playing which doesn't really involve a lot of flair or creativity. He doesn't really ever beat players with skill or a drop of the shoulder, he doesn't really come inside the pitch much, and he doesn't really try and sort of clever or creative passes or through balls. He used to be able to do these things at Dundee United, but obviously it's at a hugely different level from where he is now, and I think when he went to England he was clever enough to realise quite quickly that he wasn't going to be able to be that sort of player at that level.

His game is about staying wide, being a strong runner and slinging a variety of crosses into the box from all angles. This is absolutely perfect for Klopp's Liverpool team because it's all high energy and directness in attack. I don't think he's naturally the best player technically, but he has an excellent attitude work and ethic and has therefore been able to squeeze every little bit out of the ability he does have to get him to where he is.

It baffles me that people think a player is going to suddenly develop extra facets to their game when they pull on a Scotland strip that they've not really shown in a club strip. The challenge should instead be is to get the best out of the abilities he does have. He likes having a player in front of him at Liverpool because it creates space for him to do these things, and the challenge for Scotland is getting one of the supporting midfielders to do that. You can start to see little triangles with McGregor and then whoever is playing as the second striker (Christie, Fraser, Armstrong etc) as he gets used to this system. I expect him to ultimately thrive in that role.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think Robertson is a fairly one-dimensional player as an attacker - I know that's usually an insult, but what I mean here is that he has a fairly direct way of playing which doesn't really involve a lot of flair or creativity. He doesn't really ever beat players with skill or a drop of the shoulder, he doesn't really come inside the pitch much, and he doesn't really try and sort of clever or creative passes or through balls. He used to be able to do these things at Dundee United, but obviously it's at a hugely different level from where he is now, and I think when he went to England he was clever enough to realise quite quickly that he wasn't going to be able to be that sort of player at that level.

His game is about staying wide, being a strong runner and slinging a variety of crosses into the box from all angles. This is absolutely perfect for Klopp's Liverpool team because it's all high energy and directness in attack. I don't think he's naturally the best player technically, but he has an excellent attitude work and ethic and has therefore been able to squeeze every little bit out of the ability he does have to get him to where he is.

It baffles me that people think a player is going to suddenly develop extra facets to their game when they pull on a Scotland strip that they've not really shown in a club strip. The challenge should instead be is to get the best out of the abilities he does have. He likes having a player in front of him at Liverpool because it creates space for him to do these things, and the challenge for Scotland is getting one of the supporting midfielders to do that. You can start to see little triangles with McGregor and then whoever is playing as the second striker (Christie, Fraser, Armstrong etc) as he gets used to this system. I expect him to ultimately thrive in that role.

Totally, good post.  But its worth remembering Robertson played LWB at Dundee Utd, did well enough to get a move to Hull, then LWB at Hull, did well enough to get a move to Liverpool.  He has probably actually played LWB more in his career than LB, and only started playing LB regularly when he went to Liverpool.  I can't speak for his season at Queen's Park.

Also the team isn't picked around him, we have found a system that works so he will have to do the job he is asked to do to the best of his ability, even if it isn't his preferred role.  And I think he is on board with that, he has a good attitude and is committed to the cause, very professional.  Also he has all the right attributes to be very good in that role, and as you say its developing and will get better with time.

Totally, good post.  But its worth remembering Robertson played LWB at Dundee Utd, did well enough to get a move to Hull, then LWB at Hull, did well enough to get a move to Liverpool.  He has probably actually played LWB more in his career than LB, and only started playing LB regularly when he went to Liverpool.  I can't speak for his season at Queen's Park.
Also the team isn't picked around him, we have found a system that works so he will have to do the job he is asked to do to the best of his ability, even if it isn't his preferred role.  And I think he is on board with that, he has a good attitude and is committed to the cause, very professional.  Also he has all the right attributes to be very good in that role, and as you say its developing and will get better with time.

He played left back at dundee united

58 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

He played LWB at Hull, albeit in a different system and style of play, but he was a LB in a 4-3-3 at United.

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
11 hours ago, The Golden God said:

I thought Robertson was from Maryhill and Tierney was from Douglas

Tierney's from Motherwell that's no Dundee accent he's got

All of Glasgow is a scheme so realistically Robertson is from the slums one way or another

12 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Posh = can string a word together with three or more syllables.