P&B Hospital

You need to bite the bullet and go cold turkey. It will be shite for a while, undoubtedly, longer than 3/4 days. There are options of things like steroid sprays or saline to make it easier, but ultimately, your nose blood vessels have become dependent on the vasoconstrictors so need to relearn how to function without it. I'd have a chat with your GP.

Edited by Cyclizine

Ah, shit. Don't think that will work for me. I stopped taking the spray for maybe 3/4 days when I got given the Beconase and it was dreadful. My nose was totally blocked the whole time. The Beconase would dribble out as I couldn't inhale through my nose, so I had to spray it then quickly tilt my head back so it wouldn't come back out. Didn't work and my nose never even unblocked a bit during those days. The attempts at sleep were awful and I kept getting a dry throat so had to keep drinking loads of water which meant I was pishing loads.
I can sympathise. Id rather have muscle pain or a bad headache than have a blocked nose constantly.

Have you ever broken your nose? Mine is bent from being broken years ago so I always assumed that was maybe how it started but thats just a guess.

Maybe try gradually reducing the nasal spray and see if it eases off? I was told that the spray makes the blood vessels contract but too much use causes them to swell up again not long after causing it to block.
Im sure someone will correct me if Ive got that wrong.

Eta Cyclizine has just worded it better above

9 minutes ago, Qos91 said:

Im sure someone will correct me if Ive got that wrong.

Pretty much spot on.

I don't work in primary care like @Tynierose, but  I was a junior in ENT for a bit* before starting gassing.

*Fourteen years ago. Shite. Seems like last week.

Edited by Cyclizine

Why can I seemingly no longer buy Syndol? It's pretty much the only over the counter medication that does anything for migranes and TMJD. Reading that it's a licencing problem but none of the chemists near me have had it in months. 

^^^ this is how German Emo Cutter Girl got started

See if you have an inflamed joint, is it better for the joint to suffer through the pain (if you can) rather than take an anti-inflammatory? I've always assumed that the inflammation helps to protect the area. Forgetting about the damage that ibuprofen does to stomach lining, obviously.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I know it's been said before on here about your injuries but I'm starting to think you are Mr Bump. How do you manage this stuff when you're painting walls?

Conveniently I’m painting a physio’s today. That was opening a tube of caulk. Got a new penknife and it was sharper than expected.

4 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

Conveniently I’m painting a physio’s today. That was opening a tube of caulk. Got a new penknife and it was sharper than expected.

I think you should hire someone to hold all the sharp objects for you. I can offer you a good rate.

29 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think you should hire someone to hold all the sharp objects for you. I can offer you a good rate.

Have thought about employing an assistant but having worked for 20+ years talking non-stop all day every day it’s so nice to barely have to say a word to folk all day and just get to listen to podcasts, music or audiobooks.

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

Have thought about employing an assistant but having worked for 20+ years talking non-stop all day every day it’s so nice to barely have to say a word to folk all day and just get to listen to podcasts, music or audiobooks.

Employ a deaf mute shouldn't be too hard to find one in Fife