P&B Hospital

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I've had a quick Google and a read of the NHS site and I worryingly have most of the symptoms for both an over and under active thyroid!

Might have to make an appointment with the GP.

Our cat had thyroid problems.

If you sleep 20 hours a day, shed hair all over the house, crap on the carpet, wake people up at 3 am for no discernible reason and hiss at the pissing rain then it's thyroid problems.

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Our cat had thyroid problems.

If you sleep 20 hours a day, shed hair all over the house, crap on the carpet, wake people up at 3 am for no discernible reason and hiss at the pissing rain then it's thyroid problems.

That just sounds like a normal cat tbh. 

On 05/04/2021 at 12:56, DA Baracus said:

I've had a quick Google and a read of the NHS site and I worryingly have most of the symptoms for both an over and under active thyroid!

Might have to make an appointment with the GP.

Sinus problems, pound to a penny. Sterimar nasal spray for irrigation and a steroidy type nasal spray from your GP

23 minutes ago, Peedzy said:

Sinus problems, pound to a penny. Sterimar nasal spray for irrigation and a steroidy type nasal spray from your GP

I have had issue with my nose for years.

The only thing that works is Otravine spray which I have to use multiple times a day or else my nose gets blocked (or I use it to unblock my nose).

Been at the GP about it before and they did give me a spray but it did f**k all. Went back a year or so later and he referred me to ENT at Ninewells. Saw an ENT doctor in the hospital and they stuck a camera up my nose but said they couldn't see anything.

So I'm stuck using the Otravine spray. I spend hundreds on it every year because it's the only thing that works.

Edited by DA Baracus

29 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The only thing that works is Otravine spray which I have to use multiple times a day or else my nose gets blocked (or I use it to unblock my nose).

Been at the GP about it before and they did give me a spray but it did f**k all. Went back a year or so later and he referred me to ENT at Ninewells. Saw an ENT doctor in the hospital and they stuck a camera up my nose but said they couldn't see anything.

So I'm stuck using the Otravine spray. I spend hundreds on it every year because it's the only thing that works.

My spot diagnosis: rhinitis medicamentosa

Edited by Cyclizine

I was the exact same as this up until about 3 years ago. Did you know using too much of that spray causes your sinuses to block even more? I found this out the hard way when I went cold turkey and couldnt breathe out my nose for a whole day. The doctor kept telling me not to overuse it but it was the only thing that worked for me.

Someone mentioned the sterimar spray. It works for a short time but its horrible salt water flushing out your nose.

I still get blocked sinuses now and again but stopping the decongestant spray on a daily basis has helped a lot, ironically.

Isn't that what happened to Kaley Cuoco? She got hooked on stuff like that and ended up needing a nose job I'm sure.
Didnt know that. Just googled it and its the same thing as otravine that she was hooked on, just under a different name.

She mentioned in the article she always had to fit a bottle in her bag. I never left the house without it in my pocket either just in case my nose blocked up. Mental behaviour thinking back on it.

Aye I have loads of it in the flat and never go anywhere without one if I'll be more than a couple of hours.

I've heard that it makes it worse but the options are to use it or have a permanently blocked nose (which, among other issues, makes sleep very difficult for me), so it's an easy choice for me.

They aren't cheap either, so I shudder to think what I've spent on it over the years.

Edited by DA Baracus

49 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

My mum had an operation where they drilled out her sinuses to widen them. Sounded grim. 

42 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

My spot diagnosis: rhinitis medicamentosa

Probably but it's preferable to a permanently blocked nose.

37 minutes ago, Qos91 said:

I was the exact same as this up until about 3 years ago. Did you know using too much of that spray causes your sinuses to block even more? I found this out the hard way when I went cold turkey and couldnt breathe out my nose for a whole day. The doctor kept telling me not to overuse it but it was the only thing that worked for me.

Someone mentioned the sterimar spray. It works for a short time but its horrible salt water flushing out your nose.

I still get blocked sinuses now and again but stopping the decongestant spray on a daily basis has helped a lot, ironically.

Aye I have loads of it in the flat and never go anywhere without one if I'll be more than a couple of hours.

I've heard that it makes it worse but the options are to use it or have a permanently blocked nose (which, among other issues, makes sleep very difficult for me), so it's an easy choice for me.

How were you 'cured'? 

They aren't cheap either, so I shudder to think what I've spent on it over the years.

Edited by DA Baracus

Theres cheaper options from tesco and other shops. Its like paracetomol. The shop own brands are about half the price.
Just look for oxymetazoline on the label and its the exact same stuff.

Ive just remembered I went to see an ENT doctor after complaining about my sinuses to my GP for years. He had a look up my nose and went into his drawer and handed me a bottle of... Otravine spray [emoji23]. Ive never been back to a doctor about it since.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They won't see anything unless it's infected at that moment in time. Beclometasone to keep it at bay. If it's acute, betamethasone drops will get it shifted (Betnesol). Speak to your GP, the over the counter stuff is useless.

1 minute ago, Peedzy said:

They won't see anything unless it's infected at that moment in time. Beclometasone to keep it at bay. If it's acute, betamethasone drops will get it shifted (Betnesol). Speak to your GP, the over the counter stuff is useless.

Not sure if that's the stuff I got from the GP last time but it didn't do anything sadly.

How were you 'cured'? 
Just noticed your 'cured' question. I genuinely just tried to resist using the spray and it gradually got better. My sinuses block now and again though, usually when I have a drink or if its a hot day so I just try and limit myself to a spray now and then.

Is that branded as 'beconase'? A type of steroid spray? I was given that and told to make sure I put my chin into my chest to inhale it so it goes right up my sinuses and not into my throat.
Dont think it ever really made a difference though.

3 minutes ago, Qos91 said:

Just noticed your 'cured' question. I genuinely just tried to resist using the spray and it gradually got better. My sinuses block now and again though, usually when I have a drink or if its a hot day so I just try and limit myself to a spray now and then.

Ah, shit. Don't think that will work for me. I stopped taking the spray for maybe 3/4 days when I got given the Beconase and it was dreadful. My nose was totally blocked the whole time. The Beconase would dribble out as I couldn't inhale through my nose, so I had to spray it then quickly tilt my head back so it wouldn't come back out. Didn't work and my nose never even unblocked a bit during those days. The attempts at sleep were awful and I kept getting a dry throat so had to keep drinking loads of water which meant I was pishing loads.