P&B Hospital

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

It's a straightforward repair procedure, normally done as a day-case under a short general anaesthetic. If you're fit and well you'll sail through it, no bother.

As @Tynierose says, there's a wait at the moment. Depending on where you are, it might be more than six months though as there is a large backlog of routine surgery building up.

Mrs destroyed her lower leg a while back (pretty much just skin holding it on from half way down the shin). Was due to get all the metalwork out last March. You’d be forgiven for mistaking and X-ray of her leg for Robocop’s. Obviously not urgent like cancer treatment but the consultant had explained how, why and when all the screws had to come out before it’s too late. Really worried for her straightforward operation becoming impossible and the metalwork being too old and brittle to come out. 

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

A very good friend of mine (probably my would-have-been best man tbh) got told by his consultant that he had "just a few weeks" to live having gone in with a nasty cough and some heartburn.  Oesophageal cancer to a level beyond treatment.

Can't begin to think how hard that would hit you, being told out of the blue that you will die within 3 months or so.  

Man that's absolutely terrible. So sorry you have to go through this.

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Man that's absolutely terrible. So sorry you have to go through this.

I was offshore when I found out that he'd died.  Apparently seemed 'fine' one day and then straight to Raigmore ICU the next. Miraculously, I got down-manned from the rig for two days to make space for a team coming on, which coincided with his funeral in Kirkcaldy.  It was as if they'd set up a chopper and fixed wing to take me there and back with a couple of nights at home. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I was offshore when I found out.  Miraculously, I got down-manned from the rig for two days to make space for a team coming on, which coincided with his funeral in Kirkcaldy.  It was as if they'd set up a chopper and fixed wing to take me there and back with an overnight stay at home. 

That's so grim. Such a pish turn of events. I hope you have some ways of coping. Drop me a message if you ever need to talk, even if it's just to rant what you may consider nonsense, or anything else.

Edited by DA Baracus

That was last year.  2021 has got off to a 'flyer' with my grandad dying just under a week ago.  He was 97 though, so a decent innings, but in a way I feel a bit guilty that I'm not nearly upset as the aforementioned scenario.  Guess one was unexpected (and rather unpleasant for him) and the other was inevitable within the next few years and in his sleep, but it just feels rather weird.

That was last year.  2021 has got off to a 'flyer' with my grandad dying just under a week ago.  He was 97 though, so a decent innings, but in a way I feel a bit guilty that I'm not nearly upset as the aforementioned scenario.  Guess one was unexpected (and rather unpleasant for him) and the other was inevitable within the next few years and in his sleep, but it just feels rather weird.

No need to feel guilty about your reaction to these things. Completely understandable.

17 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Desmoplastic Malanoma (suspected) on ma neck, awaiting further news from dermatology dept.  Nurse told me it wasn't one of the serious ones, took some pics to send off, and now I wait.

Good time to write my will?

Good time to stay off Google mate. Trust what the doctors and nurses say. She wouldn't say that if she didn't believe it to be true. She'll see that shit every single day 🤝👍 

Edited by madwullie

Good time to stay off Google mate. Trust what the doctors and nurses say. She wouldn't say that if she didn't believe it to be true. She'll see that shit every single day [emoji1666] [emoji813] [emoji106] 
Very true, just wondering if anyone else has any experience of it.

Suspected case of Meralgia Paraesthetica and/or Sciatica.

Never felt f**k all like it. Horrendous. 

Prescribed amytripyline and told to look at a website called Versus Arthritis for exercises. Dunno whether I’m meant to be looking at the hip or back exercises.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/02/2021 at 21:15, gav-ffc said:

Anyone on here had/have a inguinal hernia?

Had it a few years ago and pushed it back in which seemed to have sorted it but after a pretty intense exercise routine in January it’s resurfaced and won’t go away at all. Doc has referred me to the hospital but I can only imagine the wait to be seen will be heavy lengthy at this time.

Seems manageable with basic painkillers throughout the day but just wondering if anyone’s been under the knife for it as the doc said they’ll go in and plug it up with some mesh.

Seen the consultant today and now on the waiting list for surgery.